November 2014 Moms

question about spotting

For those who have had spotting/bleeding (including those with losses), at what point did you see a doctor or visit the ER? I had a bit of light pink spotting a little while ago. No cramping, so I'm not really concerned about it at this point, but I'm just trying to get a feel for when others would be concerned. I don't remember having any spotting w/ DS.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: question about spotting

• My doctor's office has a 24hr hotline so I called them as soon as I saw any spotting. I think you are okay with pink, but it can't hurt to call to be safe. You should certainly call if it turns to red blood. 

FX it goes away any everything is fine.
  • When I have had spotting like that before, I called my Dr during normal business hours. I probably wouldn't go to the ER for spotting/bleeding unless I was in a ton of pain. I would wait and call my midwife and discuss with her.

imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD Born 11.27.2011
    BFP 9.19.2013 - EDD 6.1.2014 - MMC @ 8 weeks 3 days

• Loading the player...
  • I called today after some brown spotting on and off since last Wednesday. They want to see me tomorrow. I don't have any cramping either - I guess it depends on your doctor. Hopefully we're both ok! :)
    imageimage
  • I called my doctor right away. Both times mine turned into heavy bleeding the next day and were losses. Many people have spotting their whole pregnancy and are fine so I think it just depends. I would call, it cant hurt :) good luck!
  • I started spotting last Friday and went to the ER Saturday because it turned red and I passed a clot and had mild cramping. They really didn't do anything but tell me to call my doctor. I went to my doctor today (still spotting) and had an ultrasound done. I am 5 weeks 6 days today and baby is measuring exactly that. And there was a nice strong heartbeat. Hopefully my little bean keeps being a sticky one. And I hope everything turns out well for you too!
  • Thanks, ladies. I am switching OBs b/c my previous OB doesn't take my new insurance. I'm very excited about the new OB and I was planning on calling tomorrow to schedule my first appt. anyway. So far, no more spotting this evening. I may mention it when I call and see if they want to see me sooner rather than later.
  • I've had some light, brown spotting for about a week. My doctor did not want to see me when I called. I still haven't seen my doctor since my BFP.

image      image

• Last week my OB physician said if I feel any cramping and/or see red blood call the office immediately and go to the emergency room. I have only seen traces of light/dark brown blood on the tissue after using the bathroom. She said light/dark brown represents old blood and perfectly normal to see a little this early in pregnancy.

BabyFruit Ticker

• If I saw red blood with cramping I was told to call right away. I spotted brown at 6W5D and it continued for a few days, thankfully I had a doctor’s appointment at 7W1D and they were able to confirm I was still pregnant and the baby was measuring right on target. I was put on progesterone suppositories since I have had a previous loss.  I see a brown tinge every now and again but I am not sure that is because of the suppositories, or if there is still a little old blood my body is trying to flush out.

• I called when I saw spotting to talk to one of the nurses. They said it is good to call, because they can put it in my records if nothing else.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• I called my Dr. the next morning after seeing some light brown spotting. This is my first so I just wanted to be safe. They had me come in, but found everything was ok. It never hurts to just call and ask.
  • KatzKissKatzKiss member
    edited April 2014
    I called the on call doctor on a Saturday because I was cramping and bleeding red blood. I had just tested and got my first positive that morning and four more after that since I couldn't believe it. She told me she didn't think I was pregnant. That I was having some hormonal occurrence because it was around when I should have been ovulating. She told be to stay in bed and go to OB on Monday. Went to OB, got a +HPT, and found out I was 5 weeks pregnant. It was placental implantation. I hope she's not the one that ends up delivering LO!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• I think I was between 4 to 5 weeks when I experienced some bleeding, it was when I wiped and also in the toliet. I freaked out and head to the nearest ER. They did blood work an US and a pap, once the dr pulled the speculum ( I think that's how u spell it :-$ ) tmi there was a huge blood clot on it, I just knew it was over.

I set there for 3 hours, blood work came back with hcg levels of 4363, the Us Tech Didn't see anything so the ruled it out as a threaten abortion. That Monday I went to my Dr's office the did blood work and told me to rest and the dr will give me a call. Wed rules around and the dr called me and told me to rush to his office quick. I was terrified, at the office the dr told me my hcg levels doubled and he performed and US, there I saw my little bean happiest day of my life. Now at 8w3d heard the baby's heartbeat it was music to my ears! Don't stress yourself hun your fine!
  • I had a week of spotting and my midwives never were alarmed it was very light and no cramping.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • UPDATE: No spotting since last night. I called my new OB today and have my first appt. for 4/16. They didn't want to see me earlier but said to call again if I had more spotting and go to the ER if I saw red blood.

On a side note, DS slept through the night (he's been really needy and calling for us in the middle of the night to sit with him). That would have been great, except it allowed me to have a nice LONG dream about having a miscarriage. It was a boy. I was sobbing in my dream. It felt so real--with long wait times in the waiting room and everything. Gah. Needless to say, I peed on a (digital) stick this morning.
    :\">
  • icaughtfireicaughtfire member
    edited April 2014
    My last pregnancy I started spotting on a Sunday so I called the after hours line. They advised me to go to the ER if it turned to bright red, otherwise call the next day if it continued. It was I was still spotting Monday morning so they brought me in & did an ultrasound, and told me I was measuring behind 2 weeks. I knew then it was over. Bright red bleeding started Tuesday night & I miscarried Wednesday.

This time around I had 2 single spotting episodes, and my doctor didn't want to see me earlier unless it continued but it stopped immediately both times. I've been put on pelvic rest until further notice. Sunday I started spotting again & it lasted all day Sunday & Monday so my doctor wants to see me tomorrow, but now it seems like it's stopped. I'm still going in, just for peace of mind.

Even though your doctor may advise to go to the ER if it's after hours, I recommend just waiting & calling during normal office hours. The ER can't do anything for a miscarriage, you're gonna pay a much higher co-pay & you'll be waiting for hours.

ETA -- sorry for the novel.
    Number One: Born 06.16.2009
    BFP: 01.17.2014 / MC 02.05.2014
    BFP: 03.08.2014 / MMC: 05.07.2014
    Dx: Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
    Currently on the bench. [Chart]

• CPM13CPM13 member
    Both times I had spotting (once with my loss, once with DD) I called the first day. Because I am RH negative they always had me come in the next day to get a shot. 

Fingers crossed for you!
  • i had some spotting for a few days around week 7 and again around week 8. both times light brown in color. the second time i called my dr and she told me what i already knew, which was as long as it wasn't red and i wasn't cramping, not much cause for concern. today i went in for my first u/s, 9 weeks, and baby looks healthy as can be!
    our family consists of myself, my wonderful husband and my 3 sweet step-kiddos.
    and this little girl!

• I've had some extremely light spotting 3 times now. All very light pink and very small amounts. My doctor had no concerns and said it was completely normal. They just said our little one is getting comfortable and attaching itself in the lining which can loosen some blood which makes perfect sense. It's been about 2 weeks since the spotting and I've had no other issues. I also had some spotting with my last pregnancy and had a very healthy daughter. As long as the amount doesn't increase and you aren't experiencing pain I wouldn't worry about it.
  • I have been spotting almost all of the 9 weeks of pregnancy. I've always called the doctor every couple days to check in about it and express concerns when it became heavier off and on. Finally found out yesterday that it is a subchorionic hemmorage in my uterus, and I have about a centimeter of blood my body is trying to expel. No danger to the baby this far, so I'm just trusting that God is sovereign and I'm leaning on his control!
    It's never easy to see any blood (brown or not), but I guess a lot of women experience bleeding of some sort...
  • With this pregnancy I had implantation bleeding for 4 days that thankfully, stopped the day I got my BFP. Lasts night however, I had brownish pink spotting and this morning brown spotting only when I wipe. I didn't have this with my first pregnancy. I'm calling my doctor today and am hoping he'll have me come in as I'm not due to see him again until my 9th week. I'm trying not to worry, but it is so nerve wracking! Thoughts and prayers that we're both fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"