3rd Trimester

Re: Paid Maternity Leave Movement

• apmomapmom member
    I don't have paid leave and it stinks! I am so on board w this!!
  • My job gives 6 weeks paid through disability not fmla. And you can also have 6 weeks unload. My problem is I am a teacher so i am due June 19 so my maternity leave is over the summer. No real maternity time.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm for it . I also think we should get job protection for at least 6 months . Let people who want to work, work , and those who want to be with their babies , bond , and breastfeed , take time off .
  • My job gives 6 weeks paid through disability not fmla. And you can also have 6 weeks unload. My problem is I am a teacher so i am due June 19 so my maternity leave is over the summer. No real maternity time.
    **lurking from 2nd tri** I'm also a teacher and with our district, scheduled time off (summer, spring break, winter break, random days off) don't count toward our maternity leave, so you could take the whole summer off plus 12 weeks after school starts. We have to use all of our sick leave though if we want it paid :(

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • I would love to be able to take a longer maternity leave and get paid a decent amount! I have a very physical job and was forced onto disability at 20 wks. I only get 6 wks of maternity leave before returning to work. I will have to work really hard to regain all the strength and stamina I am losing right now, or I will get hurt as soon as I return to work.

I will have eaten all of my FMLA by the end of this week. They do provide disability coverage, but it is a flat rate for all full-time employees and has never increased over the 15 yrs I've been there, not even with COLA. It amounts to less than a third of my normal check, plus I will have to pay taxes on it. Most people think I am making the same as when I was working just because they had good disability coverage or the state they live in provides some coverage as well. I barely make anything, can't even pay my mortgage with it. And, I have been trying my butt off to get a job to help out a little while I'm out. 2 1/2 months in and I finally got a part-time job, now that I'm completely exhausted.

If I could even get paid unemployment rates I would be better off. I wish I could take more time for maternity leave, but they won't allow more time, nor can I afford it. I was planning to pump when I return to work, but due to the nature of the job I'm not sure that will be possible. Stressing me out a little because I really want to breast feed for a while.

• I have been sharing this, too. I agree. I don't qualify for FMLA, either. My doctors orders that were just filled out for my paperwork state I am not to work for 8 weeks after at least. I am taking Leave without pay starting next week, then from the time of birth i get 2 weeks mat-leave + 6 weeks short term dis. But get this, our company has some whack rule that means the 2 weeks maternity leave actually count to them as part of the 6 weeks of short term dis., meaning I really only get 6 weeks total (4 for short term dis.)!

I am so sick of how over-complicated this has to be, and so many other countries get much better mat-leave treatment.
  • I hate how things are set up with new moms in general. I only get 6 weeks of partial pay (that they still take taxes and insurance out of). I took my leave at 38 weeks because I'm a nurse on a very physically demanding floor and just could not safely work anymore. Even though I was approved for leave, im not sure if I'll be paid for those 2 extra weeks and even if I am, it's only a percentage of my normal pay. It's so hard to afford to have enough time at home when youre the primary earner in the house. :-(
  • So many other countries have things like this up and running successfully.  I do not understand this countries unwillingness to look at what they are doing if what they are doing is working. 

No but you can still get disability in the summer I believe
  • I don't get paid leave at all and have to use all my PTO in order to get paid (which still won't be enough for the whole 6 weeks).  I really wish I could take longer than the 6 weeks!
  • I'm a freelance costume designer, so I can take all the time off I want, but there is absolutely no pay. The best I can do is get 6-8 weeks (depending on my doctor's note) of disability from the State of New York at $170/week. That is almost $300 less a week than what I could get on unemployment. Thanks for sharing this. 
  • saraeric said:
    My job gives 6 weeks paid through disability not fmla. And you can also have 6 weeks unload. My problem is I am a teacher so i am due June 19 so my maternity leave is over the summer. No real maternity time.
    **lurking from 2nd tri** I'm also a teacher and with our district, scheduled time off (summer, spring break, winter break, random days off) don't count toward our maternity leave, so you could take the whole summer off plus 12 weeks after school starts. We have to use all of our sick leave though if we want it paid :(

States and districts vary. My summer counts toward my FMLA and I'll have less than 12 weeks unless I just want to miss back to work training and setting everything up. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think it stinks that FMLA only applies for 12 months of being employed. With a lot of folks getting laid off or changing jobs more frequently nowadays, I wish that could be lowered at 6 months maybe.

My industry is very volatile and I was laid off twice in a year so I would not have qualified for it at my last job either.
  • I'm new to this board but I am so glad that people are talking about this. I am currently dealing with this situation. I work for the state government and after much back and forth, they are going to let me use FMLA, but my "12 months" for eligibility doesn't kick in until July 1 and I am due July 3rd...as I am newer, I will only have about 8 days paid leave due to other obligations and Dr. appt. They are refusing to pay me during my time off because they say I was a temp. employee the  1st six months I worked... mess. I agree with the PP that mentioned the right to be in my business about birth control , abortion, etc but not  giving me anything when I want to take care of myself and my baby... ridiculous.

Anniversary

• *Lurking from second tri board...but getting close to third tri*

I get no FMLA (company doesn't meet requirements), I get no paid time off, I get no maternity leave, no vacation time, and no sick time.  My company does not provide any of this.  Not sure what I am going to do.  I might get a few days off once I give birth but pretty much much in the first week, I have to return to work and pray my mother and father will help out until LO can go to day care.
  • It's absolutely ridiculous. I don't get FMLA because my company has less than 50 employees and is not required to offer it. They give 3 weeks paid/3 weeks unpaid maternity leave, which is better than nothing, but where I live, 90% of daycares don't take infants until they are 12 weeks old, and the ones that do are either ridiculously expensive or have super long waiting lists. So what do I do with my kid for the 6 weeks between when I go back to work, and when she's eligible for daycare? It shouldn't be that complicated. 6 weeks is NOT enough time. I am going to take 3 weeks of vacation, so I will end up with 9 weeks total. America really REALLY has this wrong, but I don't know that it will ever change. 

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• I'm Canadian, but totally on board with this for all of my American friends!! 12 weeks is not enough, let alone having any portion of that unpaid. I can't imagine dropping a 3 month old off at daycare....it's hard enough when they're a year old! And at least by then you can be done breast feeding so you don't have to carry a pump around. I honestly cannot imagine what that must be like and if I could, I'd totally sign a petition on your behalf!!!
    (I have similar feelings when it comes to your healthcare system!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"