Oregon Babies

Home Birth vs. Birthing Center vs. Hospital in Portland

paintedtulipspaintedtulips member
edited April 2014 in Oregon Babies
Hi everyone, 
I am starting to think about my top choices for a midwife. I am considering delivering at home, at a birthing center or at a hospital. Here are my considerations in Portland :

Alma Birthing Center- I really like this, but they don't have an ultra sound machine, and if I am having a boy, how do I get him circumcised? They can't do that there. Did anyone go with Alma, with a boy? Also, how did you have an ultra sound?
Home Birth - My mom delivered me and all my siblings at home. But, I am a hypochondriac and I feel that if I do this, something will go wrong... In 2012 almost 6/1000 babies died in home births in Oregon. Also again, what happens if I have a boy? That said, this is a A LOT cheaper than the hospital, and less money is always good, although I have great insurance.
Hospital - I don't mind the idea of a hospital birth, except I am worried (and this is actually a huge deal for me) I absolutely 100% want to encapsulate my placenta, and I know a lot of the hospitals here don't let you have it. Also, hospital births here are really expensive (although my insurance is supposed to cover these hospitals 100%, I don't want to run into any extra costs), plus I am worried about being discouraged in walking, or holistic birthing methods, and getting drugs pushed on me. I am looking at Good Samaritan and OHSU. 

Anyone have experiences in Oregon they can share that speak to any of my concerns? 

Re: Home Birth vs. Birthing Center vs. Hospital in Portland

• I'm not from Portland, and did not desire a natural birth, but most of the large hospitals are very supportive of safe natural birth. They know there is an active and vocal community that promotes out-of-hospital births, and are trying to address the concerns moms have about giving birth in a hospital.

Unless it's the PeaceHealth Nurse Midwifery Birth Center in Springfield, a birth center is essentially giving birth in someone else's home.

I believe there is a recent law that requires hospitals to give women their placentas upon request.

Our pediatrician circumcised our son when he was two weeks old during an office visit.
  • Hi! I went with alma and I was so happy with the experience. I wouldn't have had it any other way! We labored and delivered at home. And we also had a boy.
    We were referred to a clinic that provided our 20 week anatomy ultrasound- so that wasn't an issue. And really, unless you have a high risk pregnacy, there is no need for more than one ultrasound.
    We did not circumcise, but if you chose to do so, you wait till your son is on your insurance, get him a doctor, and go get the procedure done. There is no difference in having it done immediately after birth or a week later.
    As far as cost- you really get SO much more with a midwife for your money. Not sure how far along you are, but with alma, we had all of our prenatal visits, birth and 2 months of postpartum visit covered for like, 3,000$ bucks. How cheap is that compared to a hospital?! Your midwife is always oncall, always has your undivided attention (unless they are attending another birth) and you and your babies best interest.
    Regarding giving birth at home- do you feel comfortable and safe there, more so than a hospital or birthing center? We were always reassured that nothing was truly an "emergency". My midwives were monitoring me and the baby the whole time (not hooked up to anything which was really nice, and freeing) and would see red flags far before an "emergency" ever came close to happening. I remember asking what their transfer rate was (transferring from home/birth center to a hospital) and she said something like 8% of women need to be transferred. That's pretty good in my book!
    Anyway, hope that helps :) good luck with whatever you chose!
  • Loading the player...
  • As long as you are open and honest with your doc and the nurses, there's no reason you can't have a natural birth in a hospital. Many hospitals are a lot more forward thinking than they get credit for.
    I gave birth (natural/unmedicated) at Portland providence and it was a great experience.
    You are more than welcome to PM me if you have anymore questions. I can give you an OB rec, as well as some classes that were useful.
    Best wishes to you, no matter what you decide.

imageimage
  • udenbyjjudenbyjj member
    edited June 2014
    I went through this decision as a FTM. Because of my health issues and having preeclampsia, I needed to be induced. My hospital experience was incredible. I loved the support of the nurses, I loved the OB's (they all worked with my OB). There was also a midwife available who worked closely with my OB. I was happy with everything. But I am also the type of person who rolls with the punches, I knew to expect the unexpected. I am actually excited to deliver at the same hospital. Being a native Oregonian and native Portland-er, I don't trust OHSU. I trusted Providence St Vincents or Good Samaritan.
    If you let the nurses/OB know that you don't want drugs pushed on you (sometimes being induced cant be avoided, sorry), they will respect that.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"