Natural Birth
Options

Centering prenatal care?

Does anyone here participate in centered prenatal appointments? My practice is encouraging this and I'm on the fence. It sounds like there are some definite pros to it but I don't know, I think the privacy aspect is turning me off. Thoughts?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Centering prenatal care?

• Options
    I do, and it's been the best decision for myself and DH. For me, the community aspect of Centering was what sold me on the program. The 5 couples in our group have formed a tight bond over the last few weeks, and we have formed our own Google group to help us stay connected after everyone delivers.

The privacy aspect was, at first, a cause for hesitation. However, once our group got to know each other we've become very trusting and forthcoming with each other. 

I get from Centering IRL what most ladies here on TB get virtually - emotional support. Thus, TB for me is a source of experience and logistical inforamation. I get my true community support from my Centering group. 

Several of us ladies now attend mutual pilates and swim classes, so we can see each other more frequently. 

Feel free to PM me if you're looking for more details.
  • Options
    I'm doing the Centering program and had my first session last week. My husband was not thrilled with the class and I'm still on the fence. While I do think there are going to be some beneficial aspects to it (we loved the midwife who is running our class) but I think it totally depends on the others in your group. For us, there were 2 ladies who were VERY chatty and liked to chat about things very specific to themselves or oversharred things that were unnecessary.
    I would recommend at least give it a shot - you can always go back to 1x1 visits if you end up not liking it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm doing it as well and I definitely recommend giving it a try! All of our measurements, heartbeat checks, etc are done in private (behind a screen in the back of the room) and the midwife gives us a chance to bring up any personal questions of concerns then.

In the group, we talk about more general things and are encouraged to bring up questions, like concerns about cramping or things we're experiencing (though we can do that in private if we prefer)--its nice to know, for example, that everyone else has similar round ligament pain. Others also ask questions I wouldn't have thought to ask, but am nterested in.

We've addressed topics like nutrition and breastfeeding in more detail than I think we would in 1 on 1 appts, and had a lactation consultant and a nutritionist come talk with us, which was really nice.

Give it a try! If you hate it, you can go back to regular appointments, but I think its nice!
  • Options
    I just started this as well, I've only had one appt so far. I think I will like it. The first meeting is kind of awkward because you don't know anyone and it feels a little weird. But I think as we continue to have meetings we will get to know each other and I think it will be nice to have that community. I am not sure that I would be comfortable if it was my first pregnancy, but since this is my second I feel more comfortable sharing and talking about what is going on. My midwife did really encourage me to join too, because I was telling her about my great experience with my first birth, so she said it is always nice to be able to share those things with groups as well. People tend to share awful birth stories more than they share the good ones! 

I agree with PP you can always try it, and if its not your cup of tea you can just go back to regular one-on-one appts.
    TTC since August 2009
    Clomid for 6 cycles starting August 2010- O but no BFP
    SA Septemeber 2010 Looking good 
    HSG September 2010 All clear 
    1st RE visit May 2011 - IUI#1 June 20, 2011: BFN
    IUI #2 July 31 2011: BFP - m/c @ 5w1d
    Surprise BFP on a break cycle 10/4/11, Due June 4, 2012, Born 6/9/2012
    TTC Blog
    TTC#2 : Cycles 1-3 Protocol 1500mg Metformin Daily, Femara + Ovidrel, Progresterone support 
    HSG#2 November 2013 All clear
    Cycle 4 Metformin, Femara, Bravelle, Ovidrel, Progesterone = BFP
    Little Lady Born 8/28/2014

"There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see, 
    the beauty of love as it was made to be"
    Mumford & Sons
  • Options
    I didn't even realize it  but I think this is what the rest of my appointments will be like.  They call it Prenatal care plus and each class/appointment is a different topic.  I was on the fence as I travel an hour each way to my appointments so this requires me to miss over a half day of work each month but they strongly encourage it so I am going to give it a whirl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"