Indiana Babies
Options

Deciding between IU North and St Vincent Women's Hospital

I have Dr. Matakevitch (based out of St. Vincent's).  She will deliver at the women's hospital next door or at IU North.  we're first time parents, so we are new to the whole baby thing!  I'm also new to the area (mom here!) so I haven't had a chance to really make a lot of connections with indy moms who can give me some opinions on which to go with. 

They are about the same distance from home.  We want a natural birth--no pain meds, low interventions, and hydrotherapy would be great!  There aren't any complications with the baby at all at this point (28 weeks).  Anyone have an opinion between the two?  we haven't had a chance to check out the tours yet because of our work schedules.  Thanks!

Re: Deciding between IU North and St Vincent Women's Hospital

• Options
    Either place should be more than willing to do natural birth as long as that is what you want and pose no threat to you or the child's well being.   We had 2 planned c-sections, so I do not know what a typical birthing suite contains (I don't remember from our tour over 3 years ago)... we just went into OB unit, got a small triage room and then moved into the OR.

I have not dealt with IU North, but if IU West is any indicator... I'd probably go to the Women's hospital.  Every time we've dealt with IU West for a regular medical issue, we haven't been that impressed.  The staff at St. Vincent Women's was very nice and attentive.  If something were to go wrong, they have a very good NICU unit and Peyton Manning Children's Hospital is pretty much right across the street... not sure what kind of NICU unit IU North has.

If you have to, do the hospital tour by yourself... after all, you are the one who is going to be most effected by the decision, also talk to your doctor about where he/she would recommend.

• Options
    ebd08ebd08 member
    I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.  I had planned a natural birth with my first (didn't get it because he was 2 weeks late) and IU North is well equipped with things you can use - bars, tubs, exercise balls, etc., but I'm sure St. Vincent's is the same way.  I would ask your OB since she has experience with both but also try to go on the tours whenever you get a chance.  Good luck deciding!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kind of late here but I just wanted to chime in. I have had 3 kids, and my last 2 were at St. Vincent's Women's Hospital. I loved both experiences!! My first daughter ended up being in the NICU for a week and they were fantastic. My L&D nurses were awesome. It was very nice and clean.
    DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Are talking about women's at the main St V's or the new women center at Carmel? Either is really nice but Carmel is almost brand new!
  • Options
    I *think* IU North has one of the lower c section rates around, which should be comforting to those birthing naturally or not.  We were going to decide between there and Community North if we were having another hospital birth.  As it is, I had my first completely natural at Community North and it was great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"