Northern California Babies
Options

Working moms -daycare or nanny?

I will have to return to work full time after my baby is born. I'm dreading that. What are other full time moms doing? Daycare, nanny or something else? I don't have family near by. Any recommendations would be great!

Re: Working moms -daycare or nanny?

• Options
    For both kids we did a nanny and nanny-share for the first couple years.  It's more expensive but I liked having our kids in their home setting, own crib, not as many germs when they are so little, didn't have to get baby ready and packed up in the morning, etc.  We don't have family nearby either, but we have found great nannies both times. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ndw16Ndw16 member
    People keep saying though that the big concern is if the nanny gets sick one day what do you do? What did you do?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really disliked having nannies. My husband and I had a lot of stress with her showing up late, and calling in sick. I also didn't trust 100% and they seemed to underestimate my then one year old's abilities and kept her inside a lot.

That being said, I've seen great nannies at the parks, where I can't tell the difference and think it's mom. I've also seen bad ones, pushing in stroller, or swing and talking on cell phones.

I eventually felt the stress wasn't worth it and quit to be a SAHM. Daycares are appealing due to more eyes and ears, but the research on a child's cortisol level due to stress in group care and attachment beliefs really turn me off of group care for under 3.5-4 year olds. I had to just quit since my stress tolerance is low, and beliefs too strong.

I just had bad luck. I know families who are so happy with either decision.

I don't have an answer, but nanny seems nice if she'll be early and stick around and your jobs are flexible enough you can make a week of nanny calling in sick work for you.
  • Options
    Everyone already gave pros & cons. No matter which, you go with what works best for your family & would be the most reliable/best fit for your circumstances. We had a family member watch LO initially like a nanny would. Definitly was easier not having to pack bags & baby up each morning (esp in the beginning when it takes sooo long to get out of the house). Around 8 mo we switched to an in home day care. This has worked out well for us also, but do miss letting LO to sleep in as much as she liked in the a.m. & to be able to come home to her without extra stops after work. Then again, I can stop home while she's at daycare & do a quick 10 minute cleaning if I happen to finish at work earlier.

Also if child has a cold, nanny can care for child (up to a point) where as you're called to pick up child & definitly home with child so does not spread to whole day care.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Any suggestions on finding a good nanny in SF
  • Options
    We had our boys in a daycare setting. I don't regret it, but in the first year of life (maybe even second), I would more seriously consider a nanny-share arrangement more seriously. Having a dedicated nanny is too costly, but a nanny-share cuts down the expenses.
    There are minuses and pluses to each choice:

daycare:
    + don't have to worry about a single individual being ill, because there is back-up
    + more socialization
    + depending on environment, lots of stimulation and engagement by people with early childhood education
    + monitored by state agencies
    -/+ exposed to more kids, so more chance to get sick. BUT kids that are exposed to more germs prior to kinder, are less sick in elementary+ school when it makes an adverse impact
    - can be expensive
    - need to sign up extra early, because many daycare facilities have 9m+ waiting lists

nanny:
    + convenience of having child at home, and not having to stress traffic for pick-up
    + less exposure to illness
    +/- depending on nanny, might have someone with a great background in early childhood development. However with more experience, comes higher cost
    + can be costly, once taxes, vacation days, etc. are paid out
    - concern about how nanny will travel with child outside the home
    - cost
    - not overseen by state, so difficult to get past info on nanny
  • Options
    Ndw16Ndw16 member
    Good advice and thoughts everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"