School-Aged Children

Report Cards

What does your elementary school's primary grade report card look like?  How do you feel about the way student performance is reported by your kid's elementary school?
High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: Report Cards

• The kids are in 2nd grade and this is the last year of S (secure), D (developing), and N (needs improvement).  We get quarterly reports sent home with these remarks.  We also get their Diebel scores.

Next year in 3rd grade, they'll receive actual letter grades is my understanding.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Primary grade report cards in my county schools use a similar system: P for skills in which the kids are proficient, I for skills that are "in progress," and N for skills that are "not demonstrated."  There is also a rarely-awarded "ES" for "exceeds standards" but so far teachers have been good about keeping its use to a minimum, so that it's only for work that truly does exceed the standard and not for work that just shows proficiency. 

Also, they're not given a grade in typical subject areas such as: Reading, Writing, Math, Spelling, Social Studies, Science.  Each of those categories is broken down into separate skills such as: Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, etc.

In past years, kids in grades 3 and up would have regular letter grades.  This year ALL elementary school students will have the new report card with P, I, and N.

• Loading the player...
  • DD is in K and the grades are AE, ME, EE(approaching, meets, or exceeds expectations). It is broken down into specific skills within reading and math. Then there is a general grade for science and social studies.  
    DS is in first grade and receives Excellent, Satisfactory, or Needs Improvement and it is one grade for each subject. 
    2nd grade begins "traditional" letter grades. A, B, C, etc. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My kid's assignments are graded with the same scale they use on the report card: P = proficient, I = in progress, N= not demonstrated, and occasionally ES = exceeds standards.

But I have noticed that, at least in language arts, the report card grade isn't really based on any type of statistical accumulation of the homework and classwork grades.  They have certain assignments that are used as assessments close to the end of the quarter.  Seems like whatever you get on this larger assessment piece becomes the report card grade.  Math seems to be based more on the big picture of classwork, quizzes, and homework.  

• yeah.yeah. member
    ours does narrative reports. Here are the areas (academic and social) kids are working on. Here's what my kid is doing. I love it. I don't think there should be grades in elementary. My school does no grades up to 6th grade.
  • Ds1 is in second grade. They get 4 (well above), 3+ (above). 3 (average), 2 (below), and 1 (well below). He receives a numerical average for math facts, math chapter tests, and spelling. There's also a behavioral section that is rated 1-4, but the figures represent frequently, most of the time, sometimes, and rarely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours does satisfactory/needs improvement. She also gets "tests" that get sent home with a number right/number wrong on them and she usually gets them all right (or misses maybe 1 or 2). I'm okay with it as-is. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"