June 2014 Moms
Options

Reminder: HYDRATE

There have been an awful lot of trips to L&D for contractions. Let's eliminate dehydration as a reason. So here's a reminder to stay hydrated you salty hoes!

Wake up, drink (1)
Hungry? Drink (2), eat breakfast and have another (3).
Lunch, drink another before and after (4&5)
Dinner, before and after (6&7)
Bedtime, have one more glass (8)

That's an easy way to make sure you get your 8 glasses a day. It's gonna get worse as it gets warmer, so drink up!!

Set a timer, or do it before and after meals... Those are two things that help me stay hydrated. Anyone else have helpful tips??

okay, that's vodka but pretend it's water. ;)
imageBabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Reminder: HYDRATE

• Options
    That's a pretty easy way to break it down :)

I have to get in 3.5-4L/day so if I'm at work I use a disposable cup (not Eco friendly but anything reusable would grow legs and walk away) and keep a running tally of how many cups I've had. If I'm not at work I fill up a big pitcher and keep it in the fridge and know I need to finish at least that much.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Glad you @Read247‌ posted this! I thought about doing the same thing and then saw your post! Yes everyone PLEASE DRINK UP!!!!!
    It's a pain to chug water and pee ALL THE TIME, I know trust me, but water is one of the BEST things for us! And for those of you that have trouble in the poop department lots of water will definitively help. I only buy 1L waters now and I make sure I drink at least 3/day! I have it by the bed and chug everytime I wake up to go pee! It's a pain but I know I need it. GL everyone and hoping all babies stay put and keep cooking!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good reminder i will definitely be keeping this in mind
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have a cup that shows me how many ounces I am drinking - it helps me to set goals and tell myself I need to get to X amount by this time. And a friend of mine sets an alarm for every hour while she is at work to drink one glass of water - that way she gets in at least eight. So those are my helpful tips :) Thanks for the reminder, Read! 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    I try to add a little lemon juice or Mio when I get tired of just plain, boring water. Stay hydrated ladies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I find its easier for me to finish large bottles of water than many smaller ones. I am more likely to finish a 38 oz water bottle than 2 16 ounce ones. The large bottle is less intimidating because I know if I refill it once more I am nearly done with my water intake for work day.

When I am home I will use our huge glasses, and my rule is if I get up, I have to take a drink. If i can snack, I can drink.

ETA i used to get BH around 4pm every other day, which was when I was least likely to take in water. I know all my new water intake plans have really helped.

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
  • Options
    It's usually best for pregnant women to get closer to 10 glasses or more of water a day. Especially if you're prone to contractions due to dehydration.

Also do not add too much sugar or caffeine, as too much could trigger contractions.

-signed a momma who has dealt with PTL in both pregnancies.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    fferreiralynnfferreiralynn member
    edited March 2014
    I have an app called idrated you add water and can set a reminder to drink again. You set daily goals and the app shows how hydrated you are.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idrated-hydration-monitor/id515908891?mt=8

Edit to add link
  • Options
    Great reminder!! My doctors said to shoot for a gallon a day.. Boy, that's a lot of water. Wish I had been more vigilant
  • Options
    I make sure to bring 4 bottles of water to work with me everyday in my bag, and I take one with me to drink from on my way to work. I usually finish at least 4 1/2 in an 8 hour shift and I make sure I have a bottle of water with me while Im at home.  This allows me to make sure that I am getting enough water every day, typically between 6-8 bottles.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have an app called idrated you add water and can set a reminder to drink again. You set daily goals and the app shows how hydrated you are. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idrated-hydration-monitor/id515908891?mt=8 Edit to add link
    Thats pretty awesome :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Great reminder.. thanks
  • Options
    Great reminders! I know for me I've been feeling "off" because I've not been as diligent with the water.

I'm more likely to get it in if I've got a big cup or bottle near me. I've got a cup that holds 24oz that I'll fill up and try to refill 4 times a day. It's hard to make myself though. When I know I'll be out for a while and it's easier to skip water, I try to fill up one of those plastic travel water bottles. My husband has one he used to take to the gym that holds 56oz (7- 8oz cups) that I use.

BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    Thanks for this post. This weekend was really bad for me. DH and I spent all weekend doing house projects which caused me to barely drink anything. I'm definitely feeling it today.

I have drank a full glass of milk and water and am going back for a refill now. I need to be better about drinking.

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Like what @krptcmschfmkr128‌ said, it doesn't have to be just water and for anyone who has battled the lovely stomach / GI bug lately, you need to replace those electrolytes too. Your body does need a certain amount of sodium in it to stave off pesky muscle cramps. So if you think you are dehydrated to the point of getting some contractions or an increase in the BH, throw back a few ounces of a sports drink, electrolyte water or coconut water if you can.

• Options
    Get a "drinking buddy" (that has a whole different meaning than it did in college!) One of my coworkers is dieting a trying to increase her water intake so when we pass each other in the hall we check in and try to keep up with each other.
  • Options
    While any liquids count (juice, milk, etc), I'm not sure if I would recommend coffee.  I'm forgetting my words, but isn't that a drink that will dehydrate you?

Interesting article about how regular coffee drinkers'' bodies have actually adapted so that coffee doesn't dehydrate them: 
    https://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/does-coffee-dehydrate-you-new-study-debunks-myth

So if you have your usual one or two cups your shouldn't need to compensate for that by drinking more water, but keep to the same recommended intake as non-caffeine drinkers.  Even though they've shown that in some cases it's not "dehydrating" I haven't read anything that shows it actually adds hydration, so I would still get this 8 glasses in (or whatever is the recommendation nowadays).

• Options

Another thing to remember, it doesn't have to be just water. While water is best for you, if you drink a cup of coffee, a glass of tea, a cup of milk, etc, it still counts toward your fluid intake.  So while you shouldn't be chugging "bad" drinks, it's not going to hurt you to mix it up.

Yes but you do need to make up for it sometimes. Juice, milk and soup are fine but if you have coffee you'll likely need extra water to make up for it.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    I actually bought a bigger purse specifically so I could carry a bottle of water around with me when I'm out of the house/office.  It's definitely helped me make sure I keep drinking even when I'm out and about.
  • Options
    General rule of thumb is half your body weight in oz of water (150lbs= 75oz water daily). Your uterus is just like any other muscle in your body. Keep it hydrated and contractions will not be a big enough issue to have you running to the ER (in most cases).

I know this firsthand from my pregnancy with DD#1 that resulted in 14 weeks of bed rest for PTL complications. In hindsight, they determined I really just have an irritable uterus that will always contract, but with proper hydration, it won't progress to anything more serious. So drink up mamas!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kaysa2 said:
    ElTrain5 said:
    Flame Free Monday Confession: I have a total NerdGirlCrush on @Kaysa2 :)
    It's my Murphy Brown avatar, isn't it?  She's some hot shit.
    I do love my some Murphy.... image

• Options
    I think one cup of coffee is not bad it when you have a lot of coffee the will dehydrate you more. Don't quote me on that but its what I have heard.

I carry a 24 oz water bottle with me and try to drink one during the morning and in the afternoon and then drink at least 2 glass of water at night. I also tend to drink some other drinks during the day it might be milk, jc or tea but I do know I run to the bathroom all the time.
  • Options
    Love this post. It's such a good reminder. I sucked at drinking water this weekend and got all sorts of leg cramps in the middle of the night. I definitely started the week off right though! Too bad the bathroom at work is so far away from my desk. At least I got some walking in. :)
  • Options
    I normally love water but I'm getting super tired of it.  Today I decided to make some jello since it has a ton of water in it.  Yes it has sugar in it but it tastes a lot better than non-stop water all the time.

June 2014 - June Siggy Challenge - Favorite Hottie
    BabyFruit Ticker   image
  • Options
    I also have a appt on my phone that gives me a reminder to drink it really helps me
  • Options
    This just made me get out the bed and go get a glass! I have the hardest time drinking a lot of water!
  • Options

This just made me get out the bed and go get a glass! I have the hardest time drinking a lot of water!

I just cannot deal with your name. My mind reads it as a cryptic spelling for Kardashian. Bahahaha. I need to retrain my brain!
    Omg maybe she is a kardashian! The one that keeps having babies?!?! I always wonder if preggo celebrities are on these boards.

• Options
    Great reminder, thanks! I've had some mild cramping the last couple days and looking back now I realize I haven't been good with my water. I just downed a large glass and am sipping another to finish before bed.

Guarantee I'll be up peeing tonight, but it'll be worth it! :)

• Options
    If your pee is yellow (not light yellow but dark) you need more water!! :)
  • Options
    ElTrain5 said:

I just cannot deal with your name. My mind reads it as a cryptic spelling for Kardashian. Bahahaha. I need to retrain my brain!
    Omg maybe she is a kardashian! The one that keeps having babies?!?! I always wonder if preggo celebrities are on these boards.
    Lol thank you!!
  • Options
    Bumping this up because it looks like we just had another go to L&D for dehydration. Drink up ladies!!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    sjn00sjn00 member
    Drink drink drink up!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder, sorry you had to take a trip to L&D but glad you are home.

I was having bad cramping last night and chugged a bunch of water and like magic they went away. I did wake up to pee like 10 times last night but I would rather have that than cramps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"