Indiana Babies

Thinking of moving to Fort Wayne. Opinions

So I currently live in Chicago. My name is Drea and I have an almost 5 month old Arianna. I'm thinking of moving to Fort Wayne but I've never been there before. I don't have a car and I was told that's it's almost impossible to get anywhere without one out there. I guess I was just wondering of any of you guys could tell me how it is in Fort Wayne. I'm definitely gonna visit before I decide to move but I'd like to get the insiders scoop, is the car thing true, are there good schools and pediatricians and doctors. In your opinion is it a nice place to live and raise a child because right now in Chicago, I've seen to many people that I know dying and getting killed and I don't even want to imagine when it's time for my baby to start playing outside and she can't.
Thanks in advance for any comments and here's a picture for your time.

Re: Thinking of moving to Fort Wayne. Opinions

• I actually live in Indy but I have in-laws in Ft. Wayne. I can't say that any of them are overly excited to be living there. It's a tough job market and a car would definitely be necessary to get around. Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks :) how is Indy? Is the car thing the same there as well?
  • Loading the player...
  • I grew up in FW and now live just outside of Indy. I love FW - but all of my family and tons of friends are still there. If you do make the move, a car is an absolute necessity. I would recommend checking out the northwest, southwest or northeast sides of town. There are tons of great schools and I highly recommend looking into Northwest Allen, Southwest Allen or East Allen school districts. FW Community School District has some great schools as well, but it also has a lot of rough(er) schools. They just built a brand new hospital on the northside of town and I've got lots of friends and family who have Dr's/Pedi's out of there. I haven't heard one bad word.

As far as Indy, I think you'd have more luck getting around without a car, but tbh, I feel like all I ever hear on the news is another shooting. I live just outside of Indy in Fishers and I love the area. You would need a car in this area though.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks @hartsl01‌ I'll definitely check those areas out. I'm looking into taking a trip out there in April to look at apartments and the neighborhoods, hopefully I like what I see and can get an apartment there :)
  • You'd likely need a car in either Ft. Wayne or Indy.  Indy has a public bus line, but no other real mass transit system, and the city is big enough and spread out enough that you'd probably find it beneficial to have a car.

I don't know much about Ft. Wayne in terms of hospitals and schools.  Indy has good schools, as long as you avoid Center Township... IPL schools aren't the best.

Yes, there are shootings and things in Indy, but for the most part, they seem to be centralized in the same general area you'd want to avoid due school districts too.  Last year was a record high in murder/homocide for Indy, but according to the data, other violent crime actually went down.

Unless you are moving for family (and being that you've never been, it doesn't sound like it), why not just move to a Chicago suburb where the crime rate isn't as high and you'd feel safer letting her play outside when she's older?
  • I just wanted to get out of Chicago and it's suburbs but still be kind of close which indiana is
  • I love living in Indy. They have a pretty good bus system so it's not that hard to get around. There are definitely parts of town that are better than others if you are truly interested pm me and I will give you a list of great, family friendly, areas to check out. One thing I really enjoy is all of the great family activities that they have.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Drea2892Drea2892 member
    edited April 2014
    Thanks you guys and @plus12012‌ I'm mobile at the moment and don't know how to pm that way but as soon as Ivan get to a computer, I'll definitely pm you. Sorry for the late reply as well lo has been teething up a storm so not too much time for anything except her :)
  • I also live in Fort Wayne. You do not need a car to survive here, there is a bus system.. There are some good schools and pediatricians also. Yeah the people are rude but that's everywhere you go. Good luck with your decision!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"