June 2013 Moms
Options

NBR - Gardening

Is anyone planning on doing any gardening this year?

We moved into our house the day before we had LO last year and didn't have a chance to plant anything but I've got the fever for some fresh veggies this year.

It'll be my first garden so I'd love to hear any tips from any seasoned gardeners or just ideas on what sounds good.

I'm thinking of sticking with a few basic items this year like a couple tomato plants, zucchini, cucumbers, basil, and maybe strawberries.

Re: NBR - Gardening

• Options
    We live in an apartment with no real yard, but I am thinking about doing some herbs and tomatoes in containers. Maybe even green beans. The high temp today is supposed to be 30* so I've got some time to figure it out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tomatoes and herbs are very easy to grow. I've done peppers and eggplant as well and they took a little while to grow. I've tried planting strawberries and for some reason they never grow for me. This year i'll probably just plan some tomatoes and maybe a rose bush, and that's about it. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    I've tried the last 2 years but squrriels and raccoons and foxes keep eating my produce! I'm not sure how much more effort I want to put in on caging an area off and I've tried pepper on the plants to make it too spicy for wildlife but nothing seems to work.
    If anyone has any great cheap solutions for keeping creatures away maybe I'll give it a try.
    We did lettuce, tomatoes and pepper for veggies and basil and parsley for herbs. The herbs always work well and I make a ton of tabouli and pesto by the end of summer. My best advice is stick with 2-3 things you can do well your first year. Better homes and gardens also always has a nice starter box with specific instructions you can order now. I used that one year and the raccoons ate really healthy thanks to them :)

• Options
    holy crap @subliminalrabbit now I know what to put on my mother's day wishlist!!
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    Green beans are my absolute favourite!! I have never tasted a green bean as delicious as one I have grown myself!

Tomatoes and zucchini are also always a must for us.  Broccoli and Cauliflower aren't worth it to me even though we eat them all the time, I would rather save the room for something that will give us more return! 

Every year we forget to plant garlic bulbs which makes me sad because locally grown garlic is way better than the shipped from China crap in my grocery store right now :( 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 

• Options
    kh59kh59 member
    I started my seeds two weeks ago--so excited!  Now if the snow would just stop falling...I did a lot of canning and freezing in the late summer and early fall while I was home with LO, though, so we're still eating at least a little something from the garden pretty much every day. 
  • Options
    @subliminalrabbit‌ Those look amazing! Definitely going to try them!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Wow, you all are pretty impressive. I did a couple tomato plants last year and there's really just nothing better than produce straight from your own yard. So much more flavor.

• Options

So does anyone have a favorite tomato? I'm for sure doing some pear tomatoes,a purple or brown, and sort of big fat beefsteak.

I also love lemon cucumbers. They're so much more mild than the regular green ones.

• Options
    @bonniek10, they're a smallish round yellow cucumber with a really mild flavor. I used to eat them right off the vine as a kid.

• Options
     @subliminalrabbit, thanks for the info. If I can find them I'm on it.

• Options
    @subliminalrabbit  How much stuff can you reasonably plant in those earth boxes?  Our yard is big but SO rocky that DH was cursing me when I asked him to dig me a garden two springs ago lol  We got some tomatoes from it but everything else kind of shit the bed so I think our soil sucks.  Plus, we have a lot of trees so the sunny spots aren't near our water at all and the idea of this "less water" thing appeals to me.  If I wanted to plant say, tomatoes (couple kinds), peppers and zucchini, how many boxes would I need?  What else grows the bomb in them?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    kh59kh59 member
    @CatalinaPink Canning is so much simpler than it sounds before you've tried it.  If you're nervous, just stick to very acidic food like pickles at first or use your canned vegetables as ingredients in recipes you cook at high enough temperatures to take care of any potential problems (like adding canned tomatoes to a pot of chili that gets boiled, for example). 
  • Options
    IIIiiii want to grow chocolate. I'm going to get all Willy Wonka up in here.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"