1st Trimester
Options

Constipation-tips to improve and link to bleeding?

I have always battled constipation. As we all know it is one of the many pregnancy symptoms. With it having already been an issue it has become a serious problem for me. Does anyone have any tips they can share with me that work? I'm taking prenatal vitamins and a natural fiber supplement. In addition I've been taking an all natural "cleanse" every few days approved by my OB. It usually works wonders and isn't doing a thing. My diet consists of a lot of vegetables (leafy greens included) and fruits as well as whole grains. HELP!

I have also been dealing with vaginal bleeding. I'm wondering if it could be linked to the constipation. When I do have a movement it is forced and a lot of strain is involved. Anyone having the same result with bleeding?

Thank you!

Re: Constipation-tips to improve and link to bleeding?

• Options
    4legsRbest4legsRbest member
    edited March 2014
    I didn't have many issues with my DS, but it has been a real (and painful) struggle for me this pregnancy.

My go to things are lots and lots of water, exercise, a daily natural fiber laxative supplement (regular laxatives are a no-no per my dr), prune juice and I actually have to use a glycerin suppository every couple of days. Try to find something that helps so you aren't straining. You can get a pretty severe case of hemorrhoids or even a fissure if you strain too hard. Ask your dr what he/she recommends. My RE okayed my list of items, the suppositories are a must for me.

I don't have any advice on the bleeding but I don't know if bowels can make you uterus/cervix bleed. Seems unlikely. Spotting si normal. You should also definitely ask your dr abotu that one.

GL!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Have you tried Colace?
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take a fiber pill along with my prenatal. I also sometimes take a children's laxative. I had to stop taking Zofran because it was so bad. I'd rather throw up then be constipated. LOL
  • Options
    Colace saved my tail this pregnancy, literally! I also had lots of bleeding and sometimes it seemed tied to me straining and sometimes not. Definitely mention it to your OB and try to keep a log of when you bleed and if you've had a strained movement around that time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you all for your feedback and advice. I will have to give colace a try. I've been to OB multiple times due to bleeding but he doesn't seem to think the constipation/strain is causing it. It seems too coincidental to me but who knows.

Nolagal-how far along are or were you when bleeding subsided? Was there another diagnosed reason for it or was it linked to the straining?
  • Options
    I was dealing with severe constipation and one day while I was ahem, straining, I had some bleeding.  I did a lot of research/reading about this and it seems to happen from time to time.  I also read that it could be an irritated cervix.  In either case, I'm doing well now and just take miralax regularly.  Hopefully that  gives you some comfort!  And as the others said, ask your doctor of course.  Hugs!  
  • Options
    I had brown spotting a week ago and I swear it was from straining.  Thankfully I had a docs appointment scheduled for a few days later. My doc said that I needed to start taking magnessium to assist in softer more consistent BMs. I have been taking it for a week and thankfully I now go every day or at a minimum every other day depending on what I eat.  Also the spotting has lessened, but I do sometimes see a bit of brown when I wipe, but nothing that concerns me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"