March 2013 Moms

Not talking or really babbling

We just had our 1 year check up and we discussed the fact that my LO isn't talking. He just started babbling some, doesn't say mama or dada. But meets all other milestones. The ped said we would start speech therapy at 18 months. Anyone else have a LO who doesn't/didn't talk at 1 year?

Answers

• DS said Buh Bye a few months ago, but that's been it until a couple weeks ago.  I have read/heard that if they achieve other milestones early like walking or crawling, they usually are late bloomers on talking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

;

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS has 0 words, but lots of sounds. I've been working on "mama" for months, but he just isn't ready. 

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry too much yet. I don't even know if he would be seen in speech until 2. I guess it depends on the clinic but we don't do therapy until 2 here. 10-15 months is normal for the first word. My daughter barely babbles still but did start saying doggy and daddy the week before her birthday
  • We are in the same boat. He says mama and dada but not with association. He uses ma and da for everything but doesn't make a lot of other sounds...at least not consistently. Our pediatrician didn't seem worried at our one year but I'm really hoping we have a word or two by his 15 month appointment.
  • We are probably starting speech through the school district sometime between now and 18 months....I'm hoping for sooner rather than later.  I don't know yet if we'll be doing speech therapy through medical insurance as well. 

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Our 1 year appointment is next week, but DS2 doesn't have any words and in general he's a pretty quiet kid. He's been babbling more and has a fair amount of consonants, I think, so I'm not too worried, but we'll see. His older brother was very vocal and an early talker so it's hard not to compare!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"