May 2014 Moms

Thoughts on Isla for baby girl name?

I know there is a baby name board, but I don't know those people. I want your opinions.

So, DH and I have been tossing around a couple of names for our little girl, but nothing is jumping out at us. The front runners for the past few months have been Stella Gracie or Lennon Stella. A few weeks ago I don't know how or why but I started saying Isla James. Don't even ask me where James came from LOL! DH and I both like Isla for a first name and either James or Gracie for the middle name. My question for you ladies is do you think pronunciation will be a problem? The S is silent like in the word island. Most people I think know that, but some people have commented that it looks like Is-La and have suggested spelling it Ayla. I don't really love that idea. I like traditional spelling of names. I wanted a name that was a normal name, non traditional but not strange. I think this fits, but the pronunciation thing is bothering me. I don't want her to have teachers make the mistake year after year. I feel like Isla is becoming a more popular name, but you still don't heart too often. So, give me your thoughts on the matter and while you're at it if you want you can weigh in on Isla James vs Isla Gracie. Last name starts with W and is 2 syllables. 

Re: Thoughts on Isla for baby girl name?

• Personally I think Isla has been used to death in recent years. It's a pretty name, but if you want 5 girls to come running when you shout her name then it's up to you. It's going to end up getting dated pretty soon. 

I like Stella Gracie. A Streetcar Named Desire is my favourite movie, so I just think "STELLAAAAAAAAA!!!".

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• @awc1986 Really? I haven't experienced that yet. I have only met one Isla in my entire life and that was about a month ago. Crazy!! But I will consider the becoming "dated" thing. I definitely don't want that.
  • Loading the player...
  • I like Stella, too. I think Isla is pretty but I'd probably have to confirm the pronunciation it if I saw it on an attendance sheet. Ayla looks more like "eh-la" (as in the Canadian-style, "damn snow again, eh?") to me.

If you do go with Isla, I like James as a middle name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • laurblum said:
    @awc1986 Really? I haven't experienced that yet. I have only met one Isla in my entire life and that was about a month ago. Crazy!! But I will consider the becoming "dated" thing. I definitely don't want that.

Sorry, I didn't mean it in a rude way. It's one of the most popular newborn names around at the moment, especially where I live in the UK. There isn't a street without an Isla on it. DH rolls his eyes whenever he hears someone call their child that in the street. Perhaps its different where you are?

Like I say, I like Stella.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• So I'll be just the opposite and say Stella is beyond common and almost to the point of being overused where I am. I honestly have never heard the name Isla before the being on the bump. It's completely my style, sounds old but modern and as I said no one that I've ever known has had or used that name. I say go for Isla, I really like it. But you lost me with the James lol. Isla is feminine and James is very masculine. So I'd stick with Isla Grace perfect compromise of both names. IMO. Good luck names are hard!
  • I like Isla, but I know in my circle of family/friends, they would totally butcher the pronunciation. I know it's becoming more popular, but it's not super common in my area. I have an Ella Grace, so I could never use Isla because it's a little too close. :)

• I've never met and Isla, nor do i know a single person who plans to name their baby Isla. It's definitely not a popular name in this area, as far as i know (i live in the Boston area). i also didn't actually know how it was pronounced, i would have said Is-la.

I actually really like it though, and i like the way it's pronounced. I do think she'd spend some time correcting people, but maybe if it gains some popularity it won't be an issue.

Stella is WAY more popular where i live, i've met several Stellas.

i think using James for a middle name for a girl will make it sound like she has two last names. and honestly i'm not a fan of Gracie as a middle name because i think Gracie sounds like a nickname and Grace is such a beautiful name.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @awc1986 I didn't take it as you being rude at all! No worries! Yes, maybe it's different in the UK? I live in Maryland and I rarely hear it. 

@spacepotatoes I actually prefer Grace over Gracie too. DH is the one who loves Gracie and always corrects me when I say just plain Grace. LOL! 

@kriovell I thought the same thing, that maybe Stella was becoming over used.. but I do still like the name anyway. I only know a handful of Stellas currently, but I feel like it's starting to gain popularity. 
  • I have a friend who just named her little girl Isla. I think it's a beautiful name. People did ask how it is pronounced, but I don't think it's a really big deal. I love Isla Grace :)

• I only know one Isla - my 1 year old niece. Her name is Isla Kenzie. At first when they texted her picture I didn't know how to pronounce it because I had never heard it before. It's such a pretty name though.
    All Welcome!
    Married 7-16-10; TTC since July 2011
    Me - 34; DH - 35
    Dx: Unexplained Azoo; all blood work normal (including chromosomal abnormality screens); no blockages; 2 SAs with zero sperm, TESA/TESE - no sperm found, likely never produced
    Therapeutic Donor Insemination - DONOR CHOSEN!!!!
    Natural Cycle IUI 9/3/13... 9/18/13 - BFP!!!!  Stick baby stick!
    Beta #1 9/19 (16dpiui) 144 hCG; 19.6 progesterone - Crinone to increase levels; Beta #2 9/23 (20dpiui) 705 hCG; 19.6 progesterone - continue Crinone; Beta #3 9/30 (27dpiui) 8355 hCG; 16.1 progesterone - continue Crinone
    U/S #1 10/8 Awesome ultrasound!  1 healthy, growing little bean.  H/R 128bpm, measuring 6 weeks, 6 days!; U/S #2 10/21 Just as awesome!  H/R 179bpm, measuring 8 weeks 6 days!; Surprise U/S #3 10/28 - still moving along!  Measuring 9 weeks 5 days; 12 week U/S & NT Scan 11/13/13: one wiggly, jumpy, kicking, punching, thumb sucking little bean!!!  Scan looks good, normal measurements.  :)  H/R 170 bpm; 12/11: Doppler registered H/R at 150 bpm; 12/20: Underlying Chronic Hypertension - Methyldopa to control BP; 1/2/2014 - It's a boy!!!!  Everything looks awesome!
    EDD - May 27, 2014
    BabyName Ticker
  • I have actually never seen the name before, so I thought it was pronounced Is-La.  I think it is a pretty name though.
  • @savannah_girl Yes, I share your opinion on Gracie vs Grace. I am not one for someone's formal name being a nickname. Unfortunately DH loves it. He could be convinced otherwise, I guess, but I feel bad because I already have way more say in the name debate as it is. He wanted to name her Zoey, but I vetoed it because a good friend of mine had a daughter named Zoey who died. But that was like the only name he wanted. I thought I'd give him his way for the middle name since it isn't used as much. We'll see though.
  • Isla and Stella are both on my short list for this LO.  I think I prefer Isla Grace or Stella Grace from the options you listed.  I think Stella is significantly more popular (in my area, at least) than Isla, but if that doesn't matter to you, go for it!  Either way, I think you can't go wrong here.

• I like isla grace. I would not make Gracie her middle name. She won't be a child forever.

I also like Stella. Lennon is a last name and more suitable for a boy IMO.

As far as popularity goes isla made top 4 last year. So yes it has become more popular. However, the top name is only used for like 5% of newborns. So that works out to about 1 in 20 which is about the size of a classroom. Think about how many Ryan's and Jessica's you had in one class growing up. It just depends on how you feel about hearing your kids name on other kids. She won't be the only isla in her school.

imageimage

• I like Isla Grace. But I have not really heard the name and would have pronounced it wrong. That being said I think it is really pretty the way it is pronounced. It is just up to you how much of an issue correcting pronunciation is. We are naming our son Tobias, and to me it is pronounced as spelled but we have still had to correct people on it. I do also really like Stella Grace and while I hear the name Stella I do not find it to be overly common either. I also do not find Gracie to be that bad for a middle name either if your DH is really set on it. I think James is just to strong for a girl's name personally, like PP said unless it is associated with something. My mom's middle name is Williams because it is a family name, I always thought it stunk she got stuck with it.
  • I think it's pretty but when I first saw it I wasn't sure how to pronounce it. It isn't a common name where I live.
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • It's definitely gaining popularity. And looking at name trends, if it's popular in the UK, it will be even more popular here soon. That said, if you like it and it's your favorite name, that shouldn't deter you. Both Isla and Stella are very pretty names. I don't think pronunciation is a problem, but then again I've seen it. And I know Islas spelled Isla and Ayla. (Although I know Aylas pronounced "isla" and "a-la")

Gracie isn't a name, in my opinion, it's a nickname. I agree with the PP who said she won't be a child forever. Does James have any significance? Otherwise I think she's going to get asked A LOT of questions about it and get pretty sick of saying "because my mom liked it". I'm a big believer in middle names having some kind of significance. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I've never encountered any Isla's in NC, so I wasn't sure how to pronounce it. If you're ok with her possibly having to correct people her whole life, then do it. I like Isla James, if there's some significance to James. If we have a daughter after this LO, her name will be Grace Alexander - the boy version because she'd be named for my brother. Otherwise, if there's no real reason, I'd go with Isla Grace.

If you don't want to fight the pronunciation battle, my vote is with Stella Grace. I also don't know any Stella's, and I absolutely love that name too. Stella would be my next choice for a girl.

Your husband can still call her Isla/Stella Gracie if he wants to. It's just paperwork, but I think Grace sounds better suited to grow up with.

Good luck!
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Isla is actually top of our list! If this baby is a girl she will probably be Isla Cathryn (yes that's a real
     way to spell Cathryn, it's just not very common. It's also my MN). I think Isla Grace is a beautiful combo. 

Isla is very popular in the UK right now, fairly popular in Canada and gaining in the US. So hopefully LOs wont spend their entire life correcting the pronunciation. 
  • I like Isla. I didn't know how to it when I first saw it though. I've never met an Isla.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think Isla is an awesome name & people who would pronounce it "Iz-la" have obviously never heard of something called an island and that's their problem :D

FWIW it's not common near me.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• I'm from GA, so I'm very familiar with "Isla" and pronouncing it. It's more of an old-fashioned name, so I'm a big fan. The only people named Isla that I know are my grandmother's age, and I love the comeback of that generation of names. 

Isla Grace has a very nice and sweet ring to it.
  • CamrynnsMommyCamrynnsMommy member
    edited March 2014
    I love Isla! Not necessarily fond of it with James or Gracie, but I do love Isla Grace.

Isla was on our short list, but spelled Ila after my great-grandmother.

I also don't know a single Isla, but two baby girls in my circle have been named Lennon recently.

imageimageimage

• Like PP have said, I would go with a MN Grace rather than Gracie..but to each their own. 
  • I like Isla Grace or Isla James (would like James even more if it had some family significance to you).

I didn't know how to pronounce Isla until recently (I thought IS-LA) as I have heard it used by a couple people I know.  I don't think it's been overdone yet though!   We are still struggling with names too.  Both of the ones we like are becoming more popular (EX: Lillian after my grandmother).  But at some point I say you can't care too much about how popular it is if you really love the name for your LO.    I grew up with several friends with the same name and I wasn't ruined :)   

Good Luck and update us when you choose!
  • I think Isla is an awesome name & people who would pronounce it "Iz-la" have obviously never heard of something called an island and that's their problem :D

FWIW it's not common near me.
    The first time I saw it I thought it was pronouced like ease-la, the same as the spanish word for island. 

OP, "a normal name, non traditional but not strange" seems like a mythical unicorn name, but maybe my imagination is just shorting out at the moment. 

I wouldn't go with Lennon at all, personally, but if I did it would be more likely for a boy.  I have a peeve about using traditionally boy names on girls (gestating my second son and struggling what to name him may have something to do with that...) so I wouldn't do James as a middle name for a girl, but if you don't have that peeve then please yourself.  Isla or Stella, both are fine, but Stella will be easier for everyone she meets, in the event they haven't met anyone named Isla before.  Also, I agree with everyone who says Grace is better than Gracie for the middle name.  Your husband can still call her Gracie, but then her drivers license and other official documents requiring a full name will look more grownup when she gets to that point.
  • I thought about Isla Iguana from Dora the explorer immediately when I read the name of this post. Sorry
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jay3907 said:

I thought about Isla Iguana from Dora the explorer immediately when I read the name of this post. Sorry

Its Isa (ee-sa) the Iguana...

imageimageimage

• Thank you all. You guys are great! I let DH read some of your comments and he is now rethinking Gracie as the middle name. The one about her not being a child forever struck him so now I think he is worried that Gracie will sound young forever. 
  • I like Isla and Stella I worked with early childhood for 9 years and haven't not come across either of these names. Spell Isla the traditional way. People will think you don't know how to spell if you spell it any other way.
  • ns1ns1 member
    I've honestly never heard of Isla. I really like it though, but I'll admit I would've said Is.la. I like James as a mn with it too! I think it's kind of a fun contrast (feminine and masculine).

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited March 2014
    I love both Isla and Stella. I know how to pronounce Isla and , honestly, I would be a lot more confused about how to pronounce Ayla and wouldn't say it the same as Isla.

ETA the popularity of both Isla and Stella has been rising in the US but Stella was ranked #62 and Isla #230 in 2012. You can check the popularity of a name on the social security website ssa.gov
  • Love Isla! I knew how to pronounce it, but there will always be someone who gets it wrong. I think Ayla will always be pronounced wrong. Not sure about James or Gracie. I kind omf like James, but I feel like Gracie is a nickname and it should just be Grace.
  • I think Isla is a really pretty name but I do believe it is gaining in popularity around here (Nova Scotia). In the school I taught at last year there were two Islas in the kindergarten class. I think it may be destined to become a name like Ava(also pretty, but quite common)...but it is a lovely name and I do think it goes quite nicely with Grace.
  • I like Stella. I like Isla as well, but agree it is gaining steam in popularity (I live in Dallas).

I like 'boy' names paired with really girly names. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"