Two Under 2

BTDT - Vacations w/2u2?

So maybe I'm slightly mad, but as I sit here at home on spring break after an miserably snowy winter, too pregnant to travel, I've decided we're going on vacation this summer no matter what.

Now, I'm being reasonable. I've picked a quiet beach town only 3 hours away where we're renting a little condo within walking distance of both beach and town. There's a pool on site, and a view of the marina from our balcony. We know we'll be spending our nights in (with wine, on said balcony). I'm waiting until July when the boys will be 3 and 23 months and we're all hopefully sort of used to being a family of 4.

Any tips for vacationing with 2 under 2? Car tips? Beach tips? Packing tips? Am I crazy?
My Big Boy - Felix - was born August 2012
My Little Boy - Calvin - is due April 2014

Re: BTDT - Vacations w/2u2?

• Not crazy, sounds like a perfectly reasonable trip, with low expectations. We went to the shore for a week when the kids were 5months, and 23months. Granted we went with family so we had a lot of help, but certainly manageable on your own. Make sure you have a big beach umbrella or tent- some way to keep baby out of the sun. The best thing we did was rent a double jogging stroller so we could push both kids onto the beach. We didn't have a jogger, and our tandem double would have taken up too much room in the car. We basically packed our entire house to take with us lol. Most important things were- place for each kid to sleep, stroller, baby tub, booster seat for your toddler, blanket or playmat for baby (you don't know how clean the floors are), maybe a bouncy chair of portable swing so you have a place to put baby down. Keep in mind you will need to do some toddler proofing when you get there- move anything breakable, bring outlet covers, depending on the layout you may want a baby gate. Since you are planning to hangout on the balcony at night, you may want to bring your baby monitor. Keep in mind you can rent lots of baby items, which may be easier than bringing your own. (This coming from the crazy lady who even brought a diaper pail with her.).

For travel tips- try to time your drive with naptime. So you play with the kids in the morning while your DH packs the car. Then start driving after lunch so hopefully your toddler will fall asleep. You can also bring a new toy for the car ride.

For the beach, bring plenty of beach toys and make sure your toddler has water shoes. Bring a blanket, umbrella, extra diapers, and a cooler with plenty of easy beach snacks and drinks. Pouches are awesome for on the beach, you can even refrigerate them to make it a cool treat.

Have a great vacation. The packing is a lot of work, but it's worth it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That timing sounds really doable.  I'd much rather travel with a 3 mo and 23 mo than the age my kids are now.  DS is walking and into everything and it's just a rough spot for us.  I much preferred when he couldn't get around so I was only really watching 1 toddler and 1 baby instead of 2 toddlers.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • Not crazy. We took our kids to Hawaii in January. They were 7 and 24 months. We flew of course so I didn't take much baby gear. Just a small umbrella stroller, a soft carrier and 2 blow up floats for the pool.

The hotel had pnps for the kids to sleep in. I either showered with each kid or got in the tub with them so no baby tub. The only thing that would have been nice is one of those things wear you can tie the baby to a regular chair when there are no high chairs.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Ha, I just booked our condo for something similar.  I'm really counting on this baby being a week early like his older brother and not late.  I'm due May 19 and DH's birthday is June 14.  My mom, sister, brother, and SIL are renting a condo with us so we can celebrate DH's birthday 3 hours away on a beach and they can enjoy some fishing.  

Gradnma is DS1's caretaker while I work. Everyone in my family loves helping out with DS1 (only grandchild) and DS2 will be the second in the family.   I'll be on maternity leave with a hopefully 1 month old.  I'll have lots of help and hoping it works out just fine.  

Really hoping he's not a 1 week old instead of a 1 month old. 
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sounds totally doable. Also, really nice. I like to write a packing and to do list like a week ahead of time. That way if you get interrupted 50 times while getting ready you can just pick up where you left off without trying to remember whether or not you packed both sizes of diapers. Have fun!
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"