Breastfeeding

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 3/17

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog (www.mspimoms.blogspot.com).

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

2. Let's talk some more about pumping and stashing. What has been your experience thus far, and do you have any questions or concerns?

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 3/17

• Sorry I have to P&R, busy day at work. I will share my experience later tonight.
  • I'm a day shy of being dairy, soy, egg and nut free for 2 weeks. I had one accident a week ago where I temp tasted DD1's oatmeal that had a splash of milk in it. I noticed a noticeable change in mood and dirty diaper count after eating steak, so I've now cut out beef. I also noticed my prenatal has bovine gelatin in it so I've cut those too.

Last Friday, DD2's reflux hit a whole new level so I called the doctor and they prescribed Prevacid. Unlike DD1's experience, there has been no real improvement and today she hasn't slept all day. She falls asleep and wakes up screaming. Over and over.

The doctor's office called today to follow up on her and I explained the potential beef issue and how inconsolable she's been all day (well, she could hear it). I explained how her diapers have stayed very mucousy or diarrhea. Today the diapers look like big (like huge) clear boogers with a little bit of yellow.

They want to see if my breast milk is even too much for her and have recommended I put her Nutramigen for 3-4 days to see if it helps but to continue pumping so I can go back to bf'ing if it doesn't. I'm so upset right now and don't know what to do. I wasn't successful bf'ing DD1 and all I wanted was for it to work this time and it's been such a rough road (mastitis, oversupply and overactice letdown, MSPI diet, etc). but we are still here. I feel heartbroken to stop, for lack of a better description. What if she IS allergic to my milk? She hasn't really improved much at all since cutting all this out. I feel like it's still too soon to tell though.....BUT, I feel like a horrible mom if I should be trying something else to help her and I'm holding out. Ugh, sorry for venting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @RingOfFire11‌ I'm sorry things have so rough! I'm very new to this but it is my understanding that two weeks is really not long enough to get everything out of your system. Also it's common for your LO to do better briefly and then regress for a short period. This is what happened with my LO though her systems were milder than others on the board.
    I would be hesitant to put LO on Nutrigema just because that's another change for her body. No matter what you decide to do know that you are trying your best. Good luck!
  • @RingOfFire11‌ I'm so sorry you have had such a hard time lately! I did 1 week just dairy free and didn't see an improvement so went to soy for week 2-but was still mucousy so I then cut beef (after a reaction 2 weeks in a row) and then cut out soybean oil and soy lecithin. Finally, with those cut out I'm finally seeing an improvement (tomorrow will be 4 weeks since we started).
    Was at the dr.today, and so far we are continuing me bf-since I've seen an improvement and she's gaining weight/growing. I'm getting used to the diet- it's just a bit difficult to eat out and my ds and my birthdays are this week- although my mil made me a milk free and soy free cake last weekend! It was pretty good!
    My favorite snack is enjoy life chocolate chips!
  • @RingOfFire11 Oh, poor baby, and poor mama. I just had a second to check in and offer you internet hugs. >:D< Deciding whether to give formula now is tough... We had a conversation with JarynA awhile back about it, I'll try to find the link when I get a chance later tonight.
  • 1. LO is doing OK. Her poops are still VERY watery and have lots of mucos but are in the normal color range most of the time. She is still having a lot of gas and stomache pain . I was rocking her last night and I could hear her tummy churning. We go back to the Dr this week and I'm really thinking I need to cut something else. The Dr was really against cutting anything else last month because she is worried about me keeping my calories up.
    LOs mood though is SO much better than before, so we have really enjoyed having a happy baby! She loves to laugh!
    I'm doing good! I started making my own bread which has really added SO much to my diet. I mostly eat it plain but I really missed it and its something I can grab quickly I the middle of a crazy day. I've noticed a slight drop in my supply so I'm trying to up my calories again but it's so hard keeping enough "safe" food on hand. I'm too petrified at this point to eat out. We're going to a wedding this weekend and I'm not eating there. Even with family assuring me it is safe I don't want to risk it, espically because we will be out of town.
    2. I pump once for my stash on the days I don't work but I worry about older milk being tainted (or using milk from when I have slipped up). My stash of "safe" milk is small so I just cycle through it as needed and honestly hope for the best.
    3. No questions today! Thanks!!
  • 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

I'm okay. LO is alright. She was doing better but than I accidentally ate dairy without even thinking about it! How could I do that?! I ordered a side salad with ranch and ate the whole thing before I realized what I'd done. I felt pretty dumb afterward. I can't believe how hard it is to break the dairy habit.

2. Let's talk some more about pumping and stashing. What has been your experience thus far, and do you have any questions or concerns?

I have a nice 100oz stash but since we are (were) only 3wks into this I plan on donating it.

Nothing this time.
  • Hello ladies. I lurk on this post enough that I feel it's time to make an intro. LO is 7 1/2 months and I have been dairy free and soy free for 3 1/2 months. LO's gastro has me on the diet in addition to LO being on Prevacid. I also have to add 1 tsp of Alimentum and 4 tsp of rice cereal to every bottle to control the reflux and add calories. I haven't been given a choice except to EP, which I don't enjoy, but I'm trying to make my goal of 1 year.

1. How are you doing? How is LO doing? I have been allowing myself a "cheat" more frequently. I was faithful to the diet for months, but have made a few exceptions lately. I have not noticed any changes to LO's BMs or reflux. The gastro was going to have us re-challenge in three weeks anyway. LO is finally up to 15 lbs which is awesome considering she completely fell off the growth curve at four months.

2. Let's talk some more about pumping and stashing. What has been your experience thus far and do you have any questions or concerns? Since I started EPing I am producing just enough for each day and not much more. While I was going through the first week of dairy free/soy free the gastro had us doing Alimentum. Combined with my previous stash I have 400oz+ in my freezer right now. I'm hoping the gastro allows us to rechallenge soon so I can use that milk.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experience to share? I'm good for now.

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
  • 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

I'm doing good and DD is ok. I think she is still recovering from the "tainted" frozen milk she got a few weeks ago. She usually goes back to normal in a few days so I'm not sure why it's taking so long for her poops to normalize this time (>2 weeks of all fresh milk). Maybe something else in my diet? I hate the constant questioning of everything I eat :(

I started pumping once daily when DD was 3 weeks old on the advice of a friend who had a low supply after returning to work. I've always had a bit of an oversupply, so in retrospect I definitely did not need to pump so early, not to mention that I'm having to donate that milk anyway. I currently pump once in the morning and once in the afternoon at work (I nurse DD at lunch) and usually have ~4oz extra each day to put in the freezer. 

Those of you who have LOs older than a year, did you find that you BF for longer than originally planned because of the MSPI? My goal was 1 year, then I figured maybe longer so I wasn't stopping right in the middle of flu season. But with all of DD's intolerances, she may not be able to have WCM, soy milk, or almond milk. I know she can have rice milk but that doesn't have any of the fat or nutrients that breastmilk and WCM have, so now I'm thinking I'll probably BF for longer, even though that'll mean avoiding dairy for even longer.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hello everyone!!!! Hugs @RingOfFire11‌. We are doing great here! Poops are back to normal and the fussiness is almost all better. If we could only get this sleep thing under control that would be great. Waking up every 2 ish hours for the last month, and now it's taking almost an hour to get him back down. I'm so very tired.i still have one problem. DS gets very gassy still but it's not everyday, when this happens it seems like it really hurts him. Like last night he woke up screaming only 30 mins after putting him down, he didn't have a wet diaper and every time he screamed he would push out gas. I noticed that this seems to happen on days that I eat lunch meat cause it makes me very gassy too. Could it possibly be we are sensitive to nitrites? I do get a brand that is more "natural" no added hormones, gluten, msg, etc, but it doesn't say no nitrites!?! Other than that does anyone know how to format on an iPad? This is starting to get frustrating!!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you EVERYONE for the kind words and encouragement. I really do think I should wait a bit longer. I realized last night that Prevacid has dairy in it! I'm so mad at myself for not checking first. I think we jumped to using it too fast after her bad reaction to beef. I'm hopeful that I'm making the right decision by waiting to do the formula option.

• Thank you EVERYONE for the kind words and encouragement. I really do think I should wait a bit longer. I realized last night that Prevacid has dairy in it! I'm so mad at myself for not checking first. I think we jumped to using it too fast after her bad reaction to beef. I'm hopeful that I'm making the right decision by waiting to do the formula option.

Medications can be tricky! A lot have lactose in them. I hope things are going better today. Did your DD1 do well on Nutramigen? I have heard that some MSPI babies can't tolerate certain hypoallergenic formulas, because they are still made from dairy and/or soy. It seems like docs think formula would be this quick fix but to me it seems like adding yet another complicating factor. If you are comfortable giving the diet awhile longer I think it is the right decision. GL!!

Medications can be tricky! A lot have lactose in them. I hope things are going better today. Did your DD1 do well on Nutramigen? I have heard that some MSPI babies can't tolerate certain hypoallergenic formulas, because they are still made from dairy and/or soy. It seems like docs think formula would be this quick fix but to me it seems like adding yet another complicating factor. If you are comfortable giving the diet awhile longer I think it is the right decision. GL!!
  • @Tmgs2013 Some lunchmeats have hidden dairy or soy in them. What are the other ingredients? Also, some have carageenan in them, and some people are sensitive to that. I don't know about nitrates. If you need any sleep advice feel free to PM me. :) My dear sweet boy was so very wakeful for a loooong time, and it can be so hard to deal with.

@amichelle723 I am still BFing DS (he turned 2 today!). Being MSPI probably kept us nursing more for longer. He hadn't outgrown it by 12 mo, and was still nursing a ton. Since I didn't really have another option for milk anyway, we just kept nursing. It has been overall a wonderful experience. :)

• Tmgs2013Tmgs2013 member
    edited March 2014
    @rocknrollfriend‌ let's see it is the Oscar Mayer selects and has ham, water, cultured dextrose, salt, brown sugar, cultured celery juice, vinegar, sodium phosphates, and cherry powder. I really just use it as a quick protein that is lean and not fatty (I eat way too many nut proteins for my own good!) edited to add the turkey also has modified cornstarch
  • edited March 2014
    Tmgs2013 said:
    @rocknrollfriend‌ let's see it is the Oscar Mayer selects and has ham, water, cultured dextrose, salt, brown sugar, cultured celery juice, vinegar, sodium phosphates, and cherry powder. I really just use it as a quick protein that is lean and not fatty (I eat way too many nut proteins for my own good!) edited to add the turkey also has modified cornstarch

Sounds like cultured dextrose may have trace amounts of dairy: https://www.livestrong.com/article/549933-what-is-cultured-dextrose/

"Cultured dextrose is digested by the dairy culture P. freudenreichii shermanii into individual molecular components. P. freudenreichii shermanii is considered a probiotic and is also used to flavor cheeses, such as Swiss cheese. After digestion, cultured dextrose is rich in the chemicals butyric, propionic and lactic acids and small peptides — pieces of protein. The finished product is an off-white powder."

I also wonder about the cultured celery juice and modified cornstarch. I couldn't find any definitive info on those with a quick search, but anything that's been cultured or modified, I wonder about dairy cultures.

Maybe a safer quick protein would be to cook whole chickens or turkey breasts and use those throughout the week. :)

ETA: Oh, some of the Hormel and Applegate Farms lunchmeats have been ok in my experience (just read the ingredients).

I couldn't agree more. I truly think they called to follow up on a very turbulent day so were trying to offer the easiest route. I don't want easy, I just want what's best for DD2! I also think that if she can't handle beef or Prevacid (I'm speculating these though), then there's a good chance she won't tolerate the hypoallergenic formula either, like you said. I want to give the diet longer.

DD1 had severe silent reflux but was always FF. She didn't have the allergy issues but couldn't latch no matter what I (or LCs) tried.

• Eff! This is just like when I went gluten free and kept getting sick all the time. Hidden gluten is in everything! Oh well I did it then and I can do it now! Cooking chicken and turkey and freezing will probably be the best option. Thanks again!

I couldn't agree more. I truly think they called to follow up on a very turbulent day so were trying to offer the easiest route. I don't want easy, I just want what's best for DD2! I also think that if she can't handle beef or Prevacid (I'm speculating these though), then there's a good chance she won't tolerate the hypoallergenic formula either, like you said. I want to give the diet longer.

DD1 had severe silent reflux but was always FF. She didn't have the allergy issues but couldn't latch no matter what I (or LCs) tried.

If there was a true allergy to your milk (it is super rare about 1 in 50,0000) your pedi would run a blood test.  Most hospitals actually screen for this in the metabolic testing done right after birth. 
    I would give it more time.  With DD1 it took a full month for her stools to return to normal. 
    Also my GI told me he is always hesitant to put any baby on formula because 1) it often has the same or worse results and 2) the mother's supply drops and then you are out of options. 
    Hang in there! 
  • We are doing well!  DD is going through a growth spurt I think....up quite a bit more to nurse at night.  I noticed today that her stool color is normal, but it looks mucousy.  I don't know what to make of it.  I will see how it looks over the next couple of days, and decide if I should worry. 

I am too lazy to pump! 
  • 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? I'm doing well. We had our appointment on Thurs. with the pediatric allergist. We will slowly be introducing everything except eggs. This week we are reintroducing wheat. I'm still MPSI among other things. LO is doing fine.

2. Let's talk some more about pumping and stashing. What has been your experience thus far, and do you have any questions or concerns? I'm no longer pumping.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? No.

photo 9acca2d2-3800-4433-bb71-c445948b76cf_zpsd9667865.jpg

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"