Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

What are you feeding your 8 month old?

I am just curious about what anyone is feeding their 8 month old. My LO is FF but also loves her cereal and pretty much any pureed veggie or fruit. She is just now starting to have a little tooth coming through. When did you start proteins or other kinds of food? Thanks!

Re: What are you feeding your 8 month old?

• Options
    DD eats bits of whatever we're having unless it's really spicy. She's had all kinds of food. She loves to feed herself so I just give her small pieces on her tray. Yesterday she had some pasta, spaghetti sauce with meat, cottage cheese, cucumbers, turkey deli meat, shredded cheese, and a mini pancake. If she doesn't seem satisfied with the table food I offer her a purée.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD eats what we eat. This weekend she went to town on steak, tilapia and a hunk of taco seasoned chicken. I served roasted broccoli with the steak, kale with the tilapia (she had a steamed carrot) and she went for the avocado served with the tacos. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is only 7 months but she eats exactly what we eat (minus salty or extra spicy seasonings). She's had protein (steak, ground beef, sausage, chicken, pork, tilapia, crawfish, and shrimp). She eats veggies, steamed or roasted. She loves a raw bell pepper as a teether! Lots of fruits. Today alone we had scrambled eggs with cheese and avocados for breakfast, pork chops, cantaloupe, and steamed broccoli for lunch, and spaghetti squash "spaghetti" and more cantaloupe and strawberries for dinner. She doesn't have any teeth. But she's a great "eater"! She eats what I eat!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Options
    For breakfast ds eats waffles or toast usually with yogurt and fruit purée. For dinner he has puffs and some type of veggie or fruit purée. He has 2 bottom teeth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD dislikes purees, so it's mostly table food. For breakfast, she had scrambled eggs and sliced up apples for breakfast. Other times we do greek yogurt, granola, pancakes, oatmeal that's chunky enough for her to pick up, etc. For dinner, she had shredded chicken, brown rice, and steamed carrots. We did spaghetti the other night, and she loved it. DD only has two teeth.
    Marigold Celestial Nostrils to save the day with glitter and unicorn farts! Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD only likes purees and even some days doesn't even want those. She still gets most of her calories and nutrients from breast milk. We keep trying to give her different solid foods and she refuses them. She is almost 9 months old.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I certainly admire all of you who are brave enough to give them solids! i am totally chicken about it, afraid she is going to choke, but since I know its in her best interest I am going to try and be less of a chicken and offer her more food choices.
  • Options
    Your not the only one that is afraid. LO will be 9 months on the 11th. I cut up SMALL pieces of banana... he loves. He also loves the gerber crunchies- (I think he would eat those over any puree) and I watch how he moves them around and chews in his mouth after I let him bite part off.  sooo...  I tried giving him small pieces of meatloaf. He had a few bites and seemed to be in love but after the 5th he choked :( I decided I would wait a while longer before going on with more table food. Yesterday we had spaghetti with meat sauce so I decided to try some small bites of the meat again. Well it was a failure. Once again he choked- to the point that I had to step in- he ended up throwing up :( I will wait a while longer and will try something different next time. A friend of mine gives her LO shredded cheese as finger food.  Also... not sure what stage baby food your on but the Gerber stage 3 may ease the transition. It is pretty chunky. I am SUPER nervous but will try again with some soft foods! You could try some scrambled eggs (My baby bullet cook book says to wait until 9 months to introduce meats and eggs as a thick puree!!!)  :)oh yea- he has two bottom teeth which makes it easy to bite which was what I wanted him to learn first! Now when he feeds himself he bites with those teeth :)  Good Luck to you and baby :)
  • Options

By now, she eats most fruits and veggies, eggs, oatmeal, and yogurt. Along the way, she has had tastes of whatever we are having. Her purees have been quite chunky from the start, so there really hasn't been much in the way of transition.

However, if I left her to feed herself table food, she would never eat. Her pincer grasp is working splendidly, but she holds food in her hand, then turns to me and opens her mouth. :) It is pretty comical. She can get a spoon to her mouth just fine, as long as I help scoop.

So, I let her practice picking up food and I slip a wee chunk in her mouth. She will figure it out eventually. All of my kids have had a different food journey, but all are excellent eaters.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I am realizing that everyone and every baby is different and it sounds like we all just have to do what we feel is the best for our babies. I am introducing more foods and trying to let her pick them up and put them in her mouth on her own, which she is getting better at, although I think the pieces might still be a little too small for her, but I am gradually increasing the sizes as she becomes more comfortable.
  • Options
    Our pediatrician actually had us start with savories like meat etc. We moved on at 7 months to more of a baby-led weaning mixture. We still do some purées but DS is loving chunks of food. His favorites are:

Raw:
    Bell pepper slivers
    Apple sticks
    Avocado chunks
    Slightly mushed beets
    Seaweed sheets

Soft cooked & warm:
    Green bean chunks
    Pinto & black beans slightly mushed
    Sweet potato chunks
    Rotisserie dark meat off the bone
    Fish
    Sausage that's been broken up
    Bits of ham off the bone
    Corn
    Noodles cut up
    Lamb off the bone & shredded
    Carnitas (pork) shredded

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    Oh & sweet peas are a great little food to practice with!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    My LO is just eating homemade purees of veggies and we just started fruit a couple days ago! We just gave her some puffs today! 
  • Options
    For everyone that feeds their baby table foods, does your baby go to daycare?  If so, do you only give table foods at home or do you somehow pack them up for daycare?
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    If it helps any, I was concerned with introducing more solid foods to my DD. I mainly followed Gerber's lead. She only ate pureed foods until her first tooth was completely in. Then I started giving her extremely* soft pea size veggie pieces.... I also started givong her mum mums. I believe they are the best way for a LO (getting teeth) to learn about chewing. Made me feel better bc I knew it wasn't a true solid, but great practice!!!! Now she is a "sitter/crawler" so I also feed her 2nd Foods... since that includes meats then I test the waters one meat at a time :-) LOL gotta love babies! Have fun with yours. Lots of trial and error, but so fun:-)
  • Options
    well she's not quite 8 months old yet but she is FF and she LOVES baby food. any flavor (minus prunes, haha) she's also had mashed potatoes, a bite of ice cream, and a cracker that she didn't really eat more like just played with lol
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"