One & Done: Only child

Anxiety?

Okay, so I have dealt with Generalized Anxiety Disorder since I was 12, but it goes almost "dormant" for years--didn't notice it much in high school and a few years of college.  It resurfaced with the losses, my pregnancy with C, and turned into pretty bad PPA.

I managed it with medication, and have been feeling a ton better.  I would say that I don't feel straight up anxious any more, I am more dealing with physical issues.

I have weird physical symptoms that all can be manifestations of anxiety (tight breathing, floaters and flashes in eyes, dizziness).  Part of my anxiety is health anxiety, so I have seen doctors about tight breathing and floaters, and no one has an answer for me other than anxiety.  The doctors TRULY don't seem concerned.  As helpful as that is, I convince myself something more is going on, but now I am starting to believe that it really is just a physical manifestation of anxiety that I thought I had controlled.

For those of you that deal with anxiety, do you have any physical symptoms?  How can you manage the physical symptoms when the mental ones seem "dormant" (Zoloft). 

I know this is kind of a complicated question, but just seeing if anyone has any thoughts.

Re: Anxiety?

• I also have GAD-- dx as a teen.

My physical symptoms are a tightned feeling in my throat and excessive sweating (from every pore).  I am currently not on meds (weaned before I got pregnant and just never went back on).

I do a lot of guided visualization (at home of course) and I use a lot of self talk (when at work/ out).  My inner dialog usually includes things like "What's the worst that could happen if (blank) happens?"  That usually calms me down.  Not always though.

Sorry you have to deal with this!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Okay, so I have dealt with Generalized Anxiety Disorder since I was 12, but it goes almost "dormant" for years--didn't notice it much in high school and a few years of college.  It resurfaced with the losses, my pregnancy with C, and turned into pretty bad PPA.

I managed it with medication, and have been feeling a ton better.  I would say that I don't feel straight up anxious any more, I am more dealing with physical issues.

I have weird physical symptoms that all can be manifestations of anxiety (tight breathing, floaters and flashes in eyes, dizziness).  Part of my anxiety is health anxiety, so I have seen doctors about tight breathing and floaters, and no one has an answer for me other than anxiety.  The doctors TRULY don't seem concerned.  As helpful as that is, I convince myself something more is going on, but now I am starting to believe that it really is just a physical manifestation of anxiety that I thought I had controlled.

For those of you that deal with anxiety, do you have any physical symptoms?  How can you manage the physical symptoms when the mental ones seem "dormant" (Zoloft). 

I know this is kind of a complicated question, but just seeing if anyone has any thoughts.
    I get dizzy sometimes when i am anxious and overwhelmed. I usually try to calm myself down (sit in a quiet area) and have a glass of water. I also start sweating b/c i'm gross lol. I take a regular every day med and then i have zanax for when i am having an "attack." I try not to take them though...
  • Loading the player...
  • I get tightness in my chest - sometimes for days.  I've hyperventilated (real fun when this hits in the car and I almost pass out!).  I'll start to carry muscle tension, so then I ache.  And of course, since I have anxiety, instead of attributing these symptoms to my anxiety, I become convinced that they're a sign that I'm having a heart attack or have some sort of a rare disease.  Usually I will sit quietly with positive self talk until the breathing is under control.  Then I find something to get involved in.  I need to almost always keep my mind occupied.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I get tightness in my chest - sometimes for days.  I've hyperventilated (real fun when this hits in the car and I almost pass out!).  I'll start to carry muscle tension, so then I ache.  And of course, since I have anxiety, instead of attributing these symptoms to my anxiety, I become convinced that they're a sign that I'm having a heart attack or have some sort of a rare disease.  Usually I will sit quietly with positive self talk until the breathing is under control.  Then I find something to get involved in.  I need to almost always keep my mind occupied.
    I try this, but then I get obsessed that my breathing is messed up and can't get it to go back to "normal".  Sigh. Getting involved in something is a good idea. 

• I have GAD and I get chest pain like crazy, dizziness, and inability to sleep. Honestly the only thing that's ever worked for me is Lexapro, which I <3 more than chocolate for how much it's improved my life. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • MyaflowersMyaflowers member
    edited March 2014
    I have panic disorder and insomnia phobia, which are both well controlled by meds. I don't have full blown panic attacks currently, but I tend to be generally anxious and still have some physical symptoms sometimes. I tend to try to do some controlled breathing (making sure you are breathing from your diaphragm so that your belly actually expands when you breathe in), try to distract myself, and use positive self talk (remind myself that the anxiety will pass and that I'll be ok). I'm a therapist and use these things with patients and also use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help them learn to reframe thoughts that contribute to anxiety. CBT along with medication is usually helpful in managing anxiety, and I think that there are some good apps and websites that teach this. Sorry, I don't know any off the top of my head!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I got diagnosed with anxiety too. I just started taking Zoloft about a month ago. My thoughts are not racing any longer, but my physical symptoms are still there sometimes - tightness in my chest, my stomach hurts, eye twitch, and difficulty returning back to sleep.

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • When I am nervous or anxious I feel like I cannot breathe (panic attack) so I get that "tight breathing" feeling. It sucks.

I was prescribed Lexapro for every day and Xanax for as needed. I don't take them at all. I've noticed that meditating and doing yoga helps. I might need to get back to taking something because if I am stressed out it comes full force and it feels like I cannot breathe sometimes.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• This probably isn't any help but i noticed since i started going to the gym i have felt a lot better. It's a way for me to release some stress BY MY SELF! 
  • Working out definitely helps with anxiety.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• YES. When I work out regularly I feel significatly better. Like night and day difference.

Throwing leaves <3
  • Working out definitely helps with anxiety.

Same here. Wish I could live at the gym. I just got back from a yoga class and feel pretty good.

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • I have anxiety as part of my bipolar disorder. It's currently well controlled with medication but when it's not it manifests physically - I feel as though my pulse is racing, I'm nauseous and feel like I can't breathe. I usually sit or lie down, and don't talk for a little while - talking makes it a lot worse for me. Sometimes I have my husband massage my hands, that seems to help. Also, focusing on things in the room helps calm me down. For example, I will pick a color (say, green) and look around the room and pick out everything in the room that is green. If I'm still anxious, I pick another color and do it again. That helps to regulate my breathing!

edited for clarity
    This is a great idea, @Hillarycwkelly  thank you for sharing!

• This probably isn't any help but i noticed since i started going to the gym i have felt a lot better. It's a way for me to release some stress BY MY SELF! 
    This is really interesting that you wrote this @JackoftheBox.  I just told DH that I am going to start going back to the gym the other day.  I am planning on doing Zumba for two 1 hour sessions a week.  I used to go regularly, but stopped when I was pregnant (Dr's advice due to the miscarriages), and then have a hard time justifying being away from DD for an extra 2 hours a few times a week.  I know I need to do it for myself though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"