Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Baby hasn't pooped in 8 days

edited March 2014 in Babies: 3 - 6 Months
My daughter is BF and I know it's common for them to go days with no poop, but I feel so bad for her! When I stand her up in my lap she just grunts and moans like she wants it to come out! And her gas is HORRIBLE!! Anyone have some suggestions on how I can "encourage" the poop to come on out?? TIA! Btw she is 5 mo.

Re: Baby hasn't pooped in 8 days

• Try just a little bit of warmed up apple or prune juice. Like an oz. That always makes my son go!
  • Call your ped. When I was in a similar situation my ped gave me three option.

1. Four oz water plus 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar

2. An Ounce of prune juice

3. Use the rectal thermometer and gently massage the area

Best of luck!
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told by my pedi that it's not the frequency that matters that it's the consistency that you need to pay attention to.  As long as it's still moist and not hard and dry it should be fine.  Our LO goes up to a week w/o...She also told me that hers LO would only poop every 9th day like clockwork and that if baby isn't fussy about it, not to worry...
  • Thanks everyone! She finally pooped last night. I ended up giving her some prune juice mixed with water and 30 mins later she had a surprise for me.
  • Next time just stick a thermometer in her bum about a half inch. It works. This way you don't have to give her juice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the same problem with our 5 mo. Usually some vaseline on a q-tip, stick it in the rectum and move in small easy circles will do the trick. If that doesn't work we have used infant supooritories which work with-in minutes!
  • I was told by my pedi that it's not the frequency that matters that it's the consistency that you need to pay attention to.  As long as it's still moist and not hard and dry it should be fine.&nbsp..

This. DS is BF and usually only poops once a week (otherwise just wet farts). He also has stinky gas. Pedro confirmed my thoughts that it's the consistency, not frequency of poop, that matters.
  • Sorry, that's Pedi, not Pedro!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"