January 2014 Moms

Beach Bums

Can you really not put sunscreen on LO until 6 months? It's in the mid to high 70's this week and being that my back yard is the ocean I'd really like to take her out there for the day. I would keep her in her tent but I still don't want to take the chance of her skin getting burnt. I took her for a walk on the beach yesterday and she loves it. However she had on pants, long sleves & a hat so she got fussy fast because she was so hot!

Re: Beach Bums

• Here is a link to the FDA regarding infants and sunscreen. I would not use it on my LO before 6 months. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• I put sunscreen on DD1 WAY before 6 months because we had her in the pool with us and she was sure to get burned. It never seemed to be a problem for her.

Now, DD1 is playing softball and we will be out in the sun with Sophia. I will also put sunscreen on her.

On a side note....I'm super jealous of your walks on the beach. I grew up on the central coast of Cali, now I live in the Central Valley and I miss home SOOO much!

Enjoy that salty air!
  • Loading the player...
  • I put sunscreen on DD1 WAY before 6 months because we had her in the pool with us and she was sure to get burned. It never seemed to be a problem for her. Now, DD1 is playing softball and we will be out in the sun with Sophia. I will also put sunscreen on her. On a side note....I'm super jealous of your walks on the beach. I grew up on the central coast of Cali, now I live in the Central Valley and I miss home SOOO much! Enjoy that salty air!
    @Carmlvsjose

If you can are able to use other methods of sun protection, I would avoid using sunscreen on Sophia until she is a bit older. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• @ccip82‌

I haven't done much research on this....what is the reasoning behind not using sunscreen at an early age?

I do have her in a sun hat and use an umbrella for shade when she is in the Bjorn.
  • @ccip82‌

Ok well I guess I should have opened the link you posted. Sorry....didn't see it. ;)
  • I would not put it on before 6 months old. My pedi recommends no more than 15 mins in sun. I'd use an umbrella for now.

• We buy the SPF50 long sleeve shirts for going outside in the sun before 6 months.  We keep them in the shade of the stroller as much as possible and throw a thin blanket over the stroller to make more shade when necessary.  We also avoid going outside in the hottest and highest UV times of day.  I will try to get the kids out before 10am and after 3pm.  

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @ccip82 Thanks for posting the link. We are taking the kids to a spring training game tomorrow and I couldn't remember if I could put it on LO or not.
  • ccip82 said:

Here is a link to the FDA regarding infants and sunscreen. I would not use it on my LO before 6 months. 

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 4/2/13

DS born 12/19/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jjmz1127 said:

Can you really not put sunscreen on LO until 6 months? It's in the mid to high 70's this week and being that my back yard is the ocean I'd really like to take her out there for the day. I would keep her in her tent but I still don't want to take the chance of her skin getting burnt. I took her for a walk on the beach yesterday and she loves it. However she had on pants, long sleves & a hat so she got fussy fast because she was so hot!

I am so jealous your back yard is the ocean. Coming from a michiganier who will be getting dumped on snow tomorrow and is sick of it.

Sorry no advice on sunscreen. Lo will never 6 months when its truly starts to get warm here and I have to worry about it.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• I read in Baby411 that the AAP was now okay'ing the use of a bit of sunscreen on infants under 6 months because the risk of harm from sun exposure was greater than that of exposure to sunscreen. I asked my pedi and she said she recommended using a little sunscreen IF there was no other way to keep your LO out of the sun. So until she's 6 months I will try to use shade/clothing/hats but I will still keep it on hand just in case I'm not comfortable NOT using it.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • CarmlvsjoseCarmlvsjose member
    edited March 2014
    I did some reading also, and several sources state that the American Association of Pediatrics gives the go ahead for small amounts of sunscreen use if other sources of sun protection are unavailable.

Just checked in with my pedi and she ok'd a small amount of sunscreen for Sophia. She recommends trying some on the inside of her wrist first, to check for an allergic reaction. If no reaction then it's a go. Of course we will still use a hat and shade.
  • Thanks for all the info ladies! We were on the beach for just about an hour today and all that was exposed was her feet! When we got back from our walk I immediately washed off the sunscreen and all was well :)

Can't wait for summer time and more outside time with my little Beach Bum!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"