Babies on the Brain

Prenatal Vitamins: the good, the bad, and the does it matter?

I need to start taking a prenatal vitamin, but have no idea on how to sort through the masses of options. Is there anything other than Folic Acid mg. that i should look for? What make one multi prenatal better than another?

Re: Prenatal Vitamins: the good, the bad, and the does it matter?

• I grabbed the ones from Costco/Kirkland brand.  Good price, and has everything needed.
    (I havent even looked at the iron in it - last pregnancy, I had to supplement my iron)
  • Also, the numbers do not have to match exactly.. I only found one prenatal that matched this list and it made me super sick. Nature Made was the second closest and has not made me sick.
  • Jags8Jags8
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    I like my VitaFusion gummies. I hate swallowing pills. My doctor said that they are good, but once we are actually trying though, she wants to write me an Rx for a little more folic acid.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Love March '07 | Marriage April '12
    Baby Carriage coming April '15

• sschwegesschwege
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    My office says it doesn't matter.  I just get the Target brand with DHA when pregnant and the Target brand without DHA when just BFing.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    teenmom1222MagFranklin13
  • My OBGYN wrote we a prescription for a great prenatal vitiam ( she gave me loads of samples of it too) because  I had tried a few that made me nauseous and was tired of buying these big bottles only to find they didn't work for me.I did finally find one (after DD was born) that doesn't bother me a bit and is cheaper. But you can always ask you OB for samples they should have tons and several different varieties, just be warned depending on your insurence if you have to pay for them the perscription ones can get pretty pricey. We were lucky and ours were covered minus the $15 copay.
  • In all  honesty, I'm just taking my multivitamin plus an extra supplement.  My multivitamin contains more vitamins and minerals than prenatals with almost all of them at the proper amount for pregnant or TTCing women.  I also take Pregnitude so that gives me my extra folic acid.  I eat a pretty healthy diet, so I'm not concerned.
  • magsamemagsame
    250 Love Its 100 Comments Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    I just started the VitaGummies. I just stopped my BC and this is our first cycle TTC. When we get into the full swing of TTC I think I'll move on to more hardcore vitamins with iron.
    Baby # 1  is on its way! EDD 2/20/15 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• There is the folate vs folic acid discussion. Is that a "thing" on TB boards?

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• heartbotheartbot
    100 Love Its 100 Comments First Answer Name Dropper
    My last pregnancy, I took a regular multivitamin and half a dozen other supplements because I couldn't swallow the real prenatal vitamins and the gummies made me nauseous. Like a lot of others, I cut out the iron. It caused the nastiest constipation I've ever experienced, which was bad enough already just from being pregnant.

• fredalina said:
    There is the folate vs folic acid discussion. Is that a "thing" on TB boards?
    What's the discussion? They are the same thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 3/1/2012 - DS born 11/1/2012
    BFP 5/4/2014 - EDD 1/15/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I've heard people say that prenatals make them sick; do y'all know what ingredient it is that tends to do that?  Or does it vary?  Do they make you nauseous even when taking them before you're pregnant?  (I've heard they can make your morning sickness worse but not sure about before?)

Someone mentioned iron; I've been on high mg iron supplements for the last month because I was anemic, and it definitely causes constipation, but it hasn't made me feel sick.  Although I could see where that constipation + pregnancy constipation could really be painful!
    March '15 July Signature Challenge: Summer Fails

image  image

TTC #1 May 2014

BFP 7/4/14 ~ EDD 3/17/15

My Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

• fredalina said:

They aren't exactly the same thing. Supposedly folate is much better and it comes from natural sources. Some crunchier people say that folic acid has been linked to things like ADHD and autism. Must not be a thing here ha ha.

Charlotte Rocks!

• fredalina said:
       Must not be a thing here ha ha.

On the comment section on one of the articles on TB, there was a whole diatribe about folate versus folic acid, but I've yet to see it on the [community] boards.

"Yet" being the key word.

Positive test on 7/22/14

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

Second name list:

http://www.behindthename.com/pnl/142602

fredalina
  • aggiebugaggiebug
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 500 Comments Name Dropper
    heartbot said:

My last pregnancy, I took a regular multivitamin and half a dozen other supplements because I couldn't swallow the real prenatal vitamins and the gummies made me nauseous. Like a lot of others, I cut out the iron. It caused the nastiest constipation I've ever experienced, which was bad enough already just from being pregnant.

Buyer beware with the normal multivitamins. They are not FDA regulated and many do not contain what they claim they do. Prenatal vitamins are FDA regulated and by law contain what is on the label and have guidelines they have to meet. If others make you nauseated talk to your Dr about a prescription brand.

Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
    LilBabyBeans
  • mb314mb314
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    edited March 6
    My midwife recommended a prenatal that has DHA in it to help with brain development.  Nature's Made has a prenatal with DHA (not all of the Nature's Made prenatals have it - you have to look for it). 

ETA: When I switched to Nature's Made with DHA, it did make me nauseous.  I switched from taking it in the morning to taking it at night.  I didn't get nausea with taking it at night.
    image    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

LilBabyBeans
  • Joy2611 said:

fredalina said:

fredalina said:

They aren't exactly the same thing. Supposedly folate is much better and it comes from natural sources. Some crunchier people say that folic acid has been linked to things like ADHD and autism. Must not be a thing here ha ha.

Folate is folic acid that has lost one hydrogen.  Sometimes people say aspartate or aspartic acid.  Aspartic acid loses one hydrogen and becomes aspartate.  Citrate and citric acid.  Same deal.  It's just how organic molecules are named.

What governs if it's folate or folic acid is the pH that it's sitting in.  The hydrogen will pop on at certain pHs and pop off in other pHs.  I could be wrong, but eating one or the other doesn't really make a difference because once it's in you and sitting in a different pH, your body will naturally adjust it to what it's going to be under those conditions.

Of course, I'm looking at this from a chemist's point of view.  Because our bodies have enzymes/proteins that mess with the equilibrium states of reactions (on purpose), it's possible that there is never time for folate to equilibrate with folic acid and it's used up instead.  Interesting to think about now that I've written this much.  Ha.

Good info!

I'm not on either side of the pseudo-debate. I had never heard the difference until recently, and I don't care now as I have no uterus :). But it has been debated a bit in a "natural parenting" group on FB.

Charlotte Rocks!

• Joy2611Joy2611
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    Very interesting, @Fredalina.  I'd have to investigate more what happens.

My gut (har-har) tells me that once its in your stomach, where the pH is VERY low, all the folate becomes folic acid anyway.  But who knows!
    ~ May 2011: Married ~ December 2013: NTNP ~ March 2014: Chemical Pregnancy ~
    image   image

I love you. Maybe I'm an idiot for it, but I always have. Everything good that I try and do I do it because of you.  I try and get away but I just keep coming back. And that's because I love you.

• fredalina said:
    fredalina said:

You're splitting hairs.

It's like the woman in Whole Foods who told me not to buy a certain brand of puffs because "that one contains ascorbic acid." I told her ascorbic acid is Vitamin C. Her reply? "Yeah, but ascorbic acid is made in a lab." Facepalm.

Ascoribic acid is to vitamin C as dihydrogen monoxide is to water.
    BabyFruit Ticker

theholmanherd
  • Joy2611 said:

fredalina said:
    fredalina said:

Folate is folic acid that has lost one hydrogen.  Sometimes people say aspartate or aspartic acid.  Aspartic acid loses one hydrogen and becomes aspartate.  Citrate and citric acid.  Same deal.  It's just how organic molecules are named.

What governs if it's folate or folic acid is the pH that it's sitting in.  The hydrogen will pop on at certain pHs and pop off in other pHs.  I could be wrong, but eating one or the other doesn't really make a difference because once it's in you and sitting in a different pH, your body will naturally adjust it to what it's going to be under those conditions.

Of course, I'm looking at this from a chemist's point of view.  Because our bodies have enzymes/proteins that mess with the equilibrium states of reactions (on purpose), it's possible that there is never time for folate to equilibrate with folic acid and it's used up instead.  Interesting to think about now that I've written this much.  Ha.
    Thank you. From my standpoint, as a physician, I can either order a lab test called a "lactic acid" or a "lactate." We use them interchangeably.

Of course, now that I know we have a chemist on this board, you'll probably tear apart my post above on Vit C/ascorbic acid. My chemical knowledge is limited to pre-med courses - the basic general and organic chemistry undergrad weed-out classes ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Joy2611
  • What have people heard in terms of how early to start prenatals before TTC? I have heard to make sure you start a month prior but have read conflicting things.

Anniversary
  • Love2RunJ said:
    What have people heard in terms of how early to start prenatals before TTC? I have heard to make sure you start a month prior but have read conflicting things.
    3 months out is what I have seen the most. 

• fredalina said:

fredalina said:

You're splitting hairs.

It's like the woman in Whole Foods who told me not to buy a certain brand of puffs because "that one contains ascorbic acid." I told her ascorbic acid is Vitamin C. Her reply? "Yeah, but ascorbic acid is made in a lab." Facepalm.

*I'm* not splitting hairs. I have exactly zero shits to give to the argument. I just know there is an argument. Don't give a flying fuck either way.

Don't be a twat. I mean a Dr. Twat.

Charlotte Rocks!

Mysterious_wifedandelionhater
  • edited March 11

fredalina said:
    fredalina said:
    fredalina said:

You're splitting hairs.

*I'm* not splitting hairs. I have exactly zero shits to give to the argument. I just know there is an argument. Don't give a flying fuck either way. Don't be a twat. I mean a Dr. Twat.
    So in other words, don't shoot the messenger? Just... involving words like "twat." Nice.

edit: spelling
    BabyFruit Ticker

• More like "don't be a jerk", only involving words like twat. It was pretty clear that this is not my argument, rather one I've seen on crunchier sites.

Charlotte Rocks!

• Oh newbs.
    \ # / <---- who remembers this? BTW where is boo balls?
    fredalinabugandbibs
  • cld106cld106
    First Comment
    What was the name of the vitamin that matched this list? I might give it a try and see if I can tolerate it without getting sick. I have a pretty strong stomach...so far ;)
  • My doctor said to start 3 months prior to TTC.

And I am in the "take whatever you can get to stay down" camp. I find taking them right after food helps if I can remember. 
    TTGP July Signature Challenge: Reality TV

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers