Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Bleeding belly button!

So my son's umbilical cord fell off a few days ago and everything looked fine.  Then, I'm guessing b/c of the diapers, his belly button started bleeding a little.  Its not much and doesn't look too severe but its still a little scary.  We have a doc's appt tomorrow, but has anyone had experience with this?  Do we put a band-aid on it until tomorrow?  First time mom here and freaking out!

Re: Bleeding belly button!

• Options

My kid has this too. We were just at the pedi yesterday for a checkup and he took a look.

He said it's fine and no big deal as long as it's not swelled up, red or infected.

He said it's really common if the cord falls off early which his did.

• Options
    My lo's did that too. Fell off on day 4 then bled a bit after. It dried up and stopped after a few days. We just made sure to clean it a few times a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO's did that also.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    It's perfectly normal. Just make sure to keep it clean!
  • Options
    We just took some gauze and tucked it over the front of DD 's diaper to keep it from rubbing up against her belly button. No more blood and everything looks good now !
  • Options
    Thanks all! Went to the doc and she actually cleaned it up with an alcohol napkin. She said sometimes they tend to get scabby. But his belly button looks great now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"