Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Back to work blues

Hello.
I don't have any questions, I just had a tough case of back to work blues and wanted to share. My LO is 4 month old this week and I will be returning to work in 3 weeks. I feel lucky to have a long bonding time and I have an understanding manager who supports new moms. So I talked to manager about my return to work day and schedule etc yesterday. I knew this was always the plan and I didn't feel too sad. Then at night as I was putting LO to sleep, I suddenly realized I do not have many days left with her where I can hold her and comfort her to naps and sleeps and I broke down and cried. Then I started thinking about how quickly she is growing and changing and how I will miss her moments, and then there was no stopping tears.  I ended up keeping her in our bed last night just for my emotional comfort. I know many mamas have returned to work and had these feelings, and it must get easier.  I just think those who have gone through this and have returned to work are amazing and I hope I can get there.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Back to work blues

• I've been there. It does get easier. You get into a new routine and life continues on. Just take as much advantage of the time you have with her in the next 3 weeks, while also starting to wean both of you off of spending so much time together. If possible, send her to daycare for a few half days, then a couple full days, so both of you can get used to it. Good luck! I personally feel like a better momma by being a working mom.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had the same feelings before going back to work. I always thought I wouldn't have an issue going back but as it got closer I became more anxious. The first week was hard. So many co workers asked how I was doing with coming back and it would remind me and I would start to get a little emotional. Now we have our little groove. Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just returned to work yesterday. It was really tough, so many tears. I also had to fight the tears a few times during the work day. I felt so sad knowing we wouldnt have our days together anymore. I know how you mustve felt the other night. Its so difficult.

BabyGaga

• Thanks ladies.  I am better today and fortunately I still have some time left.  My DH reminds me that at least I will be so unbelievably happy to come home, which is how he feels these days. I havent thought about how dads feel about working I guess.  As much as I want to monopolize our remaining time together, I started daycare/nanny for her today (part time until I start work) so that she can get used to the routine and new faces.
    Congrats for you all for making it back to work and surviving the transition~
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • it's going to be tough and yes enjoy your time now, this is my first week back.  the first few days weren't as bad as I expected but yesterday and today got harder bc I think reality is hitting me that i'm going to have to leave him for work for many many more days. 

others have done it and we can too just have to get through it and enjoy them once we are home

• Hi ladies - I was devasted when I returned to work :(  I have been back about a month now and I'm here to give you all hope that it absolutely gets better - after about a week I started to feel better - I had many days with tears on my way and sometimes still tear up when dropping him off.

I've learned to totally maximize the time at home at night - I cook fast meals - grocery shop online - etc... you get into the swing of things and it all gets better I promise! 
  • I've been back for a couple months now and it's going pretty well. Today though I am missing my little guy like crazy! I think it's bc we've been talking about starting him on solids and it's hitting me how fast the time has flown by.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definiely gets I better after a week or so. Now  we are in a routine and I actually think I'm a better mother because i savor the time me do have together.  Hang in there!
  • I was a total wreck for about a month - felt guilty about leaving her, completely uninterested in work, and unsure about whether I was making the right decision.  A few months later I hang onto my routine to get me through each week but still break into tears at least once a week missing her.  Will I always feel uncertain whether I've made the right choice?
  • I was the same, it was very very very hard!  To be honest it took me a really long time to get used to it and not feel like I was abandoning him.  It took probably a good 4-5 months to get used to it.  Basically you are changing your whole life, for 4 months you were a stay at home mom and had a 100% different schedule and now once again you have to change your schedule 100%, it makes total sense, and then throw in the emotions of leaving your baby when you spent every last second with him (with maybe a few breaks in there).  You will survive and get over it, but it will take a while.  I hope for the quickest adjustment for you, enjoy the remaining time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so much for all your comforting words. I just started my work last week and it was tough. after all the "welcome back" and "oh, you are back!" have stopped and I had a moment to myself, especially when i am pumping, I can't help but miss my LO and wonder if she is doing ok.

@Ihotkami, what you've said is absolutely true. it was a huge change of my life style from what it had been and I felt so out of place being at work. but this week is little better than last week and I am trying not to force myself to get used to things.  DD is doing well and she is all smiles when I get back to her which somehow makes everything ok and gives me the oomph to go out to work the next day :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • hang in there... it does get easier. I did the same thing. It pulls at your heart strings. It just makes the time you have with them that much more special! I have some pictures at my desk of my little guy smiling and it helps me and puts a smile on my face! 

Hang in there! :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"