Single Parents
Options

share your recipes here

@Gardennymph could you make this a sticky thread for us? Im mobile and dont know how to make sticky threads on mobile?

Got a recipe you love? Share it here!

Got a recipe you think well all love? Share it here!

How about cooking tips, desserts, and adult beverages? Were all friends here please share!(especially tge adult beverages for those nights we all need one)

Re: share your recipes here

• Options
    jellybean529jellybean529 member
    edited March 2014
    One of my favorites - Pineapple Salsa Chicken

Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast - 1 pound
    Salsa Verde - 16oz (I bought some at Trader Joes but you could probably use any kind)
    Canned Crushed Pineapple - 1 can

Put chicken in crock pot, pour salsa and pineapple over the top, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once it's done it shreds pretty easily and you can use it in tortillas. You can also increase the amount you cook depending on the size of your crock pot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have an awesome recipe for crock pot Chicken Marsala, I'll have to post that when I get home tonight!

But I've been raving about this chili on Facebook for the last couple weeks:
    https://alidaskitchen.com/2013/10/06/sweet-potato-black-bean-chili/

It's SOOOO good! I also used a hotter pepper and more of it, so my chili is HOT. :)

And I made this the other night, but I tweaked it.
    https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/chicken-and-asparagus-stir-fry/

I doubled the marinade, half with the chicken and half added later. Only because the recipe didn't say to reserve the marinade and I had tossed it by the time I got to that step.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    20thirteen20thirteen member
    edited March 2014
    Oooooh! Also, when I have a little extra cash, I like to make Pesto Chicken (allrecipes app)

The recipe calls for 4 chicken breast halves but I buy chicken tenderloins, they're a little smaller and generally cheaper. Anyway, here's the recipe:

4 chicken breast halves (or a container of tenderloins)
    1/2 c to 1 c basil pesto (depending on how much you love pesto)
    4 thin slices of prosciutto "or more if needed" (the containers I buy from Costco have at least 8 slices)

1. Preheat oven to 400
    2. Grease baking dish (or, what I do, take a wire rack and place it on top of a foil wrapped cookie sheet)
    3. Spread "about" 2 T of pesto per chicken breast over the top of the breast/tenderloin (or smother the shit out of the whole piece of chicken, like I did) and wrap each breast/tenderloin in prosciutto slices to cover the entire breast/tenderloin. Place into prepared baking dish.
    4. Bake until chicken is no longer pink, the juices run clear, and the prosciutto is lightly crisp, about 25min.

According to allrecipes, it's supposed to be about 311 cal/serving, but if you added the extra pesto, that number is clearly wrong.  Anyway, it tastes like a fancy meal but its simple and stores pretty well (if you reheat at a lower power level).  I eat it with asparagus and either mashed potatoes or a baked sweet potato. Oh, and you can sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top or top with a slice of provolone. Whichever cheese you like best.

Edit: I wasn't sure if everyone learned about cooking in middle school the way I did, where tablespoon was represented by "T" and teaspoon was represented by "t", so when I say 2 T, I mean 2 tablespoons.
  • Options
    eg214eg214 member
    https://crockpot365.blogspot.com is a bible of cooking for us busy moms. THE BEST resource out there for quick and yummy meals. My faves are the Chicken Parm (amazeballs) & Buffalo Chicken Lasagna.

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014
  • Options
    klvklv member
    Chicken tortilla soup in the crockpot

1 cup Pace® Picante Sauce
    2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
    1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 soup can water
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    4 corn tortillas (6-inch), cut into strips
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    How to Make It
    Stir the picante sauce, soup, chicken, corn, beans, water and cumin in a 4-quart slow cooker.
    Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.
    Stir the tortillas, cheese and cilantro into the cooker. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Serve with additional cheese, if desired.
  • Options
    klvklv member
    Spaghetti with Broccoli and Chicken

3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1 pound spaghetti
    1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
    3 cloves garlic
    5 tablespoons olive oil
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Sprinkle chicken breasts lightly with salt and pepper. Grill or broil until no longer pink. Cube cooked chicken.
    Prepare broccoli according to package directions, and drain well.
    Prepare spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well.
    Process garlic cloves with garlic press, and combine with olive oil. Toss pasta with chicken, broccoli, and garlic/oil combination. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
  • Options
    Random life hack, the detox water i posted earlier makes some amazing lemonade
  • Options
    Done! Do yall want me to remove some of those other announcements?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes please! Can we get rid of all of the generic bump jackie announcments?
  • Options
    Absolutely!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks. Especially since we never got to excited about mod of the month or social groups
  • Options
    Yeah, we got Facebook for socializing. LOL
  • Options
    Speaking of which. We need to get all our regs on facebook
  • Options
    Vegetarian chili with sweet potatoes:

Double the cinnamon, add extra sweet potatoes and garlic, and you're good to go.

I can't wait to eat this again.

• Options
    Pumpkin chip muffins

4 eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1 can 16oz pumpkin
    1 1/2 cups vegetable oil(olive oil works too)
    3 cups all purpose flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and oil until smooth. Combine flour baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon amd salt; add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan ten minutes before removing to wire rack. Yield: about 24 standard size muffins
  • Options
    Mashed Potato Egg Boats

They are my fave breakfast. Use whatever cheese you want and I add more than "a pinch". I also don't have a proper muffin tin… So, mine are about half the size. If you don't have a muffin 10, just get rid of some of the egg white before putting into potatoes. Otherwise, you'll have an overflow of egg
  • Options
    my recipe is called "the microwave" lol
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I just realized that I never added my (well, my friend's) Chicken Marsala recipe!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 T butter (or olive oil)
    1 onion (I buy a small/medium), chopped
    1 1/4 c mushrooms (I buy the bigger package at the store), sliced
    1 1/2 c marsala wine (I use the Marsala from the liquor section, but the cooking wine works, too)
    3/4 c chicken broth
    1 T Worcester sauce
    1/2 c whipping cream
    2 T corn starch
    Salt & pepper - the amount depends on how much you like salt/pepper. I used *maybe* 1t salt and 1 1/2t pepper

1. Lightly coat crock pot w/ non-stick cooking spray (optional). Season raw chicken with salt and pepper, and arrange evenly at the bottom of the pot.

2. Sauté onion and mushrooms in a large saucepan until onions are translucent. Add marsala & continue cooking for 2-3 min. Add broth, Worcester sauce, and salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed and bubbly.

3. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

4. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Blend whipping cream and corn starch until smooth, add to pot. Cook for an additional 15-20min or until sauce has thickened.

5. Slice or cube chicken and mix back into pot. Serve hot.

We usually eat this with pasta (egg noodles), but I'm sure you could sub noodles for another side. :D
  • Options
    French Onion Porkchops

4 boneless porkchops
    2 eggs
    2 packs French Onion soup/dip mix (or regular onion, not a big difference)
    1/4 c. bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400.  In put eggs in one bowl (mix them up a bit) and in another mix the onion soup mix and bread crumbs. Dip porkchops (one at a time) in the egg first, then smother the chops with the onion soup/breadcrumb mix. Cook (I believe) 10min per side.  

This shit is DELICIOUS.
  • Options
    Guys.  For real.  Bacon Cinnamon Rolls.

Simple, too. 

You'll need:
    Bacon
    Tube of cinnamon rolls (I used pillsbury grands. Be careful what brand you buy, some don't actually unroll)
    If you live near Cinnabon or another cinnamon roll place, buy extra icing!

Unroll each roll from the tube. Take strips of uncooked or lightly cooked bacon (1 per cinnamon roll) and roll into the cinnamon roll.  Bake as directed on package.  Add icing.  Add the extra icing.  BLOW YOUR MIND.
  • Options

I just realized that I never added my (well, my friend's) Chicken Marsala recipe!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 T butter (or olive oil)
    1 onion (I buy a small/medium), chopped
    1 1/4 c mushrooms (I buy the bigger package at the store), sliced
    1 1/2 c marsala wine (I use the Marsala from the liquor section, but the cooking wine works, too)
    3/4 c chicken broth
    1 T Worcester sauce
    1/2 c whipping cream
    2 T corn starch
    Salt & pepper - the amount depends on how much you like salt/pepper. I used *maybe* 1t salt and 1 1/2t pepper

1. Lightly coat crock pot w/ non-stick cooking spray (optional). Season raw chicken with salt and pepper, and arrange evenly at the bottom of the pot.

2. Sauté onion and mushrooms in a large saucepan until onions are translucent. Add marsala & continue cooking for 2-3 min. Add broth, Worcester sauce, and salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed and bubbly.

3. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

4. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Blend whipping cream and corn starch until smooth, add to pot. Cook for an additional 15-20min or until sauce has thickened.

5. Slice or cube chicken and mix back into pot. Serve hot.

We usually eat this with pasta (egg noodles), but I'm sure you could sub noodles for another side. :D

@20thirteen‌ this was a lot of work but totally worth it!!!! So Delish
  • Options
    @freeatlast2014  I've played with the recipe too, I add more marsala and less whipping cream, gives more flavor to the dish.  Next time I'm going to try flour instead of corn starch as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Found a new favorite potato soup recipe!   I got it off Facebook but don't know who exactly I'm crediting for it.

1 30oz bag of frozen diced hashbrowns
    1 32oz box of chicken broth
    1 10oz can of cream of chicken soup
    1 pkg. cream cheese (8oz, not fat free)
    3 oz of bacon bits

Optional (if you're weird)
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    more bacon
    salt and pepper to taste

Put potatoes in the crock pot.  Add in the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and half the bacon bits (I put all the bacon in).  Add a pinch of salt and pepper. (I did not do this)

Cook on low for 7 hours or until potatoes are tender.  Cut cream cheese into cubes and place cubes in the crock pot and continue cooking on low for 1 hour, stirring a few times throughout the hour.  When the cream cheese is completely mixed in, the soup is ready to serve.  

Top with cheddar cheese and MORE BACON. Deeeeeeeee-licious.
  • Options
    https://www.bhg.com/recipe/pork/pork-and-sweet-potato-stew/

This is a good recipe to cook while LOs are taking a long nap (takes between 45min-1hr) but it's delicious!
  • Options
    https://damndelicious.net/2014/03/15/one-pot-chili-mac-cheese/

I make it a little differently than in this blog.  The recipe says to add 3/4 of a can of red kidney beans and 3/4 of a can of white kidney beans (canellini), I just add the whole can. Because I love beans.  I also didn't think she added enough cheese, so I added about 4-5 oz of Velveeta cheese on top of the 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese.  Sheesh, what's with this chick and 3/4?

Kid-friendly :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"