September 2014 Moms
Options

Gross question...

But here goes.  I am still. so. constipated.  I feel like i am gaining weight merely in backed up food.  So gross, I know.  I have tried cheerios, kiwis, lots of ruffiage, and even metamucil.  I would LOVE to get a colon hydrotherapy treatment (basically flushes your system out).  The hydrotherapist here says they do these for pregnant women usually between months 3-6.  Has anyone done this?  Wanted to?  Any advice.  Gross.  Sorry.

Re: Gross question...

• Options
    I have been really bad even stool softeners weren't working. Activia had helped though!

BFP 1/4/2014 EDD September 14 2014

• Options
    Last pregnancy I ate a bowl of raisen (sp) bran everyday and it kept me from getting backed up. I heard Fibre One cereal is even better.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the laxatives. I had never taken one before so I was hesitant. I let my constipation get really bad while trying everything else I could think of. I took some laxatives yesterday and finally pooped today. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. I feel so much better now. It seems like it should have been common sense, but I didn't realize that constipation could really start to make you sick.
    BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
    imageimage
  • Options
    Someone told me 100% pineapple juice awhile back. That seems to do the trick for me. It probably just relates to getting lots of fruit (and fiber) in your diet.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Make sure you are drinking a ton of water.  You can eat all the fiber in the world but without water it will actually back you up more because you need liquid to soften your stool.  I second raisin bran.  I eat that every morning and keeps me pretty regular

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    All Bran and lots of water. No need to get complicated.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Prune juice. Just make sure you don't have anywhere to be for like 10-12 hours, though. I had some before work a couple of weeks ago. Worst. Idea. Ever.
  • Options

Take citrucel. I had some horible, immentionable issues with constipation that I would not wish on anyone.

I have not done the treatment you mentioned.

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</a>[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/43ff7d]
    [img]http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/43ff7d/ttc.png[/img]
    [/
    RA with Sjogren's Syndrome. Risk of heart block in newborn. Age: DH and I are both 38.
    BFP #1: 11/25/2007, EDD 7/28/2008 - Missed m/c (blighted ovum) 12/6/2007 6w3d, D&C 1/3/2008.
    BFP #2: 4/2008 - Natural m/c at 6w.
    Met with RE in 5/2008 full cycle analysis and SA normal. Not considered high risk for blood clots but prescribed 1 baby aspirin a day precautionary during TTC and Progesterone suppositories during 1st trimester of pregnancy.
    BFP #3: 10/17/2008. EDD 6/23/2009,  Third time's the charm! Healthy baby boy born 6/27/2009 via emergency c-section.
    BFP #4: 6/14/2011. Healthy baby boy born 2/16/2012 via elective c-section.
    BFP #5: 1/15/2014. EDD 9/22/2014. 
    2/17/14:.We have a BABY!!! Heart rate 167 and measuring on time. 3/10/14 u/s #2 baby measuring perfectly at 12 weeks at heart rate of 166. NT u/s was normal. Maternit21 blood draw on 3/5/14. Results back on 3/19 - Normal.  It's a BOY!!!  4/10/14 at 16 weeks, 3 days discovered baby's heart stopped at 15 weeks, 6 days. D&C 4/11/14.  Pathology results were all normal.  New information on 8/11/14 - blood test revealed 1/3 of babys blood was in mine caused, most likely, by a tear in the placenta from extreme coughing.  Doctor believes this to be the cause of death.  Repeat D&C and Hysteroscopy scheduled for 8/19/14.  My Chart

• Options
    Oj, yogurt, coffee, bananas are my go to but it sounds like your past all the dietary tricks. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS1: 8/26/09    |    DS2: 11/1/11

May Siggy, Favorite Onscreen Mom - Sophia, Golden Girls                                                                          
    image image
  • Options
    I feel like I'm the queen of poop issues because I had a fecal impaction after my son was born.  Increase fiber, prunes, prune juice, push liquids, metamucil, milk of magnesia, enema if needed - a stool softener can help if what's in your rectum is really hard, but otherwise it's not going to help a ton right now.  A warm bath can help encourage a bowel movement, hot water bottle on your abdomen, massage your intestines... stay active, don't just sit or lay down, get moving.

Stay away from: bananas, toast, rice, applesauce (the BRAT diet is used to plug yourself up!)
    <3 Baby #1 BFP 6/10/2011-EDD 2/19/2012-DS Born 2/10/2012!
    :'(  CP BFP 1/6/2013-EDD 9/19/2013-CP 1/9/2013
    <3 Baby #2 BFP 1/3/2014-EDD 9/12/2014 -DD Born 9/10/2014!
    <3 Baby #3 BFP 7/8/2018-EDD 3/17/2019-Team Green!

• Options
    Have you tried Probiotics?  You can find them in yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchi, Keifer , and even caplet form.  It might help you get regular.  I would also try prune juice and drinking lots of water.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    I had this problem last week...it got so bad I almost went to the ER.  I did take a stool softener even thought I knew it wouldn't help the problem at hand much.  I ended up giving myself a suppository which was suprisingly easier than I thought it would be (I had myself all freaked out).  This worked in my case after about an hour or so.  Thank god because I had my husband on the way to the store to get me an enema (UGH).  I am not really sure if that was a safe thing to do but when I called my midwife in hysteria she didn't say it was wrong.
  • Options
    My Dr says drink any kind of juice that starts with p. Pear, pineapple, prune. Or eat p fruit. U can even put like 2 tablespoons of white Karo syrup in a glass of milk. You can't taste it, it will deff help!!!
  • Options
    MMason12MMason12 member
    edited March 2014
    I have to take 3 Colace pills, 4 Fiber Chews, and I eat a bowl of Raisin Bran ever day just to keep things moving. Oh, and drink tons of water. I was having a rough time until I added the Fiber Chews and those seem to really help me.
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    edited March 2014

I've heard these do the trick.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    This made me laugh out loud at the office.  My little brothers have threatened to get me these as a prank for my birthday.  The reviews are amazing.  

And to the rest of you ladies, thank you for all your advice.  Going to down lots of water this afternoon and pick up a quart of prune juice ;)

• Options
    Even prepregnancy I was irregular. Since BFP, I'm eating three activia, taking three colace, two doves of Metamucil, and at least 8 glasses of water a day. Even with this, I'm pooping every other day if lucky. My doctor said enemas/colon hydrotherapy are really a last resort or to deal with impaction, because doing them frequently can make you dependent. I'm sure like most other things, once or twice won't hurt. Make sure you're sure the water they're using has the right balance of saline or whatever else goes in those things so you don't absorb all the water and get sick.

imageimage

• Options
    MILK OF MAGNESIA AND MIRALAX!!! The milk of mag should work pretty quick- the miralax may take a day or two but you can take it twice a day at first and then work your way down to every other day to keep regular!!
  • Options
    an02102 said:
    Make sure you are drinking a ton of water.  You can eat all the fiber in the world but without water it will actually back you up more because you need liquid to soften your stool.  I second raisin bran.  I eat that every morning and keeps me pretty regular
    ^^ this, Fiber is crucial, but too much and not enough water will make it even worse. Most people don't know/realize that! I also second the stool softener idea. I've given enemas to patients at work and it just seems mortifying and awful..
  • Options
    Pears and grapes are the only things that work for me:)
  • Options
    Flax seeds with activist yogurt
  • Options
    Constipation is a result of a slowed digestive system which is caused by an increase of hormones during pregnancy. Fiber One bars, cereal, and other "fiber" processed foods are not the answer. If you want a healthy digestive system, you need to build the right environment with a good quality probiotic (in pill form) and digestive enzymes. Look for a probiotic that requires refrigeration (I prefer Innate Choice) and has cultures in the billions vs. millions. Standard process makes some very good digestive enzymes, but if you have have access to a Nutrition Response Practitioner in your area, I would highly recommend working with them to find the right enzymes for you. Believe me, I know how miserable constipation can be. I dealt with it almost my whole life until I worked to recondition my digestive system. Since then, even through pregnancy, I have been regular and happy!
  • Options
    omg this just reminded me of my bowel prep for my tumor removal. I had to drink an entire bottle of miralax...... 

I never knew you could do that and not die...... needless to say.... there was nothing left inside of me after that. It was like a fresh start.....
    --------------
    PCOS , incompetent cervix, gestational diabetes, IVF graduate, with one ovary!
    1 angel baby due to a 20 week M/C thanks to IC
    1 ovary due to a benign tumor that crushed my ovary
    About 6 years of pointlessly POAS
    Proud mommy of a 2.5 year old  girl
    Currently pregnant with baby #2 surprise BFP -  Team Blue until proven otherwise

• Options
    I've found that if I eat an apple or two every day, I'm good.

DD1, born 4/10/11 at 32 weeks
    Cooking #2 :)  Due 9/18/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Raisins make my daughter s**t everything she's eaten for a week. And dried apricots too.

Married August 9, 2008
    TTC Since September 2009

1st   BFP | EDD 10/23/10 | Natural M/C 03/27/10 | 10w 0d
    2nd BFP 06/26/10 | EDD 02/25/11 | Natural  M/C 07/17/10 | 8w 1d
    3rd  BFP 12/17/10 | EDD 08/24/11 | Natural M/C 12/31/10 | 7w 4d
    4th  BFP 06/22/11 | EDD 02/25/12 | M/C D&C on 07/27/11 | 9w4d
    5th  BFP 09/17/11 | DD Paige Lily born 05/16/12
    6th  BFP 08/11/12 | EDD 04/11/13 | CP
    7th  BFP 09/29/13 | EDD 06/04/14 | Natural M/C 10/27/13 | 8w1d
    8th  BFP 12/16/13 | EDD 09/01/14

DX: Pericentric Inversion of Chromosome 8 & compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations
    RX: Lovenox/Heparin & Folgard

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"