April 2014 Moms
Options

BP rant.

I've had high Bp before preg. Was put on metholdolpa 250mg 3x daily at 17 weeks. Last week at home my Bp has been high 130/90 - 160/107. I keep track take them to dr w me (only got to see midwife that day) and it was high when I went she made me lay on my side n it went down. They didn't seem concerned but said if bottom number is 110 or high go to hospital. I'm thinking it was almost that high last night!

Today I go to doc (I go once a week) it was 150/100. Made me lay on side and took it after few minutes it's normal. Didn't say anything (midwife again).

Next week I finally see dr I'm worried they aren't doing enough. It's not like I'm going to b laying on my side all day. And it shouldn't be high if I'm on meds.

Where I live u can't pick ur dr u have to go to a practice where there are like 8 drs n 6 midwives. U see them all and the dr on call delivers ur baby. It sucks.

Anyone else goin threw something similar?

Re: BP rant.

• Options
    I had pre e with my son 3 years ago and end up with an emergency csection at 36 weeks. This time my BP has been great...until last week. Not too high but not normal 140/100. Monday at the doctor it was 145/111. They had me lay on my side and it went back to normal. I think we share in the frustration that it can be hard to know what to deal with and what is too high. My doctor said "well, 140/90 is getting up there but 140/95... You need to call me or go in to get monitored if you can't get it to go down. I can't lay down whenever I want so it does get too high, but it has been going down when I rest. I think the answer is if you can't keep it down without resting you probably need bed rest? My doctor is pulling me from work next week unless it goes too high before then. Today it has been around 145/100 and is not going down with rest so I am playing the waiting game for a little while longer before I go in. So I can offer some empathy but not much more advice other than ask if you might need bed rest.
  • Options
    I can relate in a way; the practice I go to has a team of doctors and maybe one or two midwives. They recommend you see them all, because the doctor on call is who will be delivering your baby. As opposed to high BP though, I've been averaging low BP (94/52 last time, 112/56 yesterday), but no concerns have been mentioned to me about it. Everytime I go in and am asked how I'm doing, my first response is "tired". I'm sure in my case it's nothing to be concerned about, but I can understand the feeling of doctors not seeming to double check that everything's ok .
    Delilah Noel
    4/25/14 12:41am

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My BP was 150/95 which was high for me...I was pulled from work at 31 weeks and am now on sick leave. I am in Canada though and have a history of this with my 1st child and it affected labour so I think they are extra cautious.
  • Options
    Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited March 2014
    I can relate in a way; the practice I go to has a team of doctors and maybe one or two midwives. They recommend you see them all, because the doctor on call is who will be delivering your baby. As opposed to high BP though, I've been averaging low BP (94/52 last time, 112/56 yesterday), but no concerns have been mentioned to me about it. Everytime I go in and am asked how I'm doing, my first response is "tired". I'm sure in my case it's nothing to be concerned about, but I can understand the feeling of doctors not seeming to double check that everything's ok .
    @Relish1025 Those blood pressures are actually incredibly good, not too low at all. Unless you are getting dizzy spells or fainting, numbers like that are perfect. The ideal is actually to be below 120/80, not at 120/80 itself. Mine have ranged from 95/60(ish) to 115/75(ish) this whole pregnancy and the nurses are always telling me how great my BP is for a pregnant woman (since BP tends to rise as you go through third tri)! :)
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine hovers around 100/60. 112/56 is good!
  • Options
    zazu13zazu13 member
    edited March 2014
    My BP has been high too. They immediately drew labs to check platelets and liver function as well as ordered a 24 hr urine collection. In addition I've had protein in my urine at my 3x weekly appts (high risk dr for twins) ranging from +2 to +4. I guess 1 or 0 is normal. I've also gotten incredibly swollen and gained ~20lbs in one month. Yes, 20. I'm now on strict bedrest and they are watching me closely. I monitor my BP at home and I'm to go in if it gets above 160/105 or if get abdomen/ cest pain, headaches or see auras / light in my eyes. If BP is your only symptom you're prob ok, but advocate for more frequent checks if you're worried and rest as much as possible! Pre-eclampsia can come on suddenly and is serious

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    Yeah that's what I've been hearing. The only times I've had some concern about it are the two times I felt as though I was going to pass out. It passed reasonably quickly, and hasn't happened for about 2 months now, so I'm not super concerned.
    Thanks for the reassurance though!
    Delilah Noel
    4/25/14 12:41am

• Options
    Lurker responding! Rachel - I've had high BP since 10 weeks. It is considered chronic hypertension because it was diagnosed at <20 weeks. I've been on labetalol 200 mg TID since then. Like you, I had issues with VERY high BPs. My practice sent me to an MFM for a consult and I have been monitored very carefully. I've done several 24 hour proteins - all within normal limits. I have had some issues with swelling. And trust me when I say, they can have you lay on your side all the time. :) I have been on modified bed rest since 24 weeks. 30 minutes of laying on my left side every 2 hours. It's been the only thing that helps control my BP. Generally, increasing the dose of BP medication while pregnant is done very carefully. (I'm a pharmacist, so I'm coming at this from a medical professional standpoint). While on BP medication, the body does not auto regulate uterine blood flow. This means that increasing the dose of your BP medication can have the unwanted effect of decreasing you BP TOO much so the uterus isn't getting enough blood flow and baby can be affected. Before increasing your chose, blood work is done to determine renal/liver function to make sure that a dose increase is safe. Currently, I'm to call the OB office if my BP > 160/110. (Sounds like you got the same bit of advice.) I did have some issues with swelling, currently I'm on twice weekly NSTs, and weekly BPPs. (Chronic hypertension can cause low birth weight). I would recommend getting an automatic blood pressure cuff that will enable you to monitor your BP while at home (Check CVS, Walgreens ads....Feburuary was heart health month and they may still have some deals going on this weekend for a BP machine) Also, talk to your OB/midwife about adding a baby aspirin daily to your drug regimen. This has been shown to decrease the likelihood of pre-e in those with pre-existing hypertension. I would recommend keeping a log of your BPs throughout the day (3 different times throughout the day) and taking them to your next visit. Good luck with everything! I know how frustrating BPs can be! And I hope you DON'T have to lay on your side to keep your BP down all the time!
  • Options
    @drinkingglitter thanks for all the great advice! I have a automated Bp cuff here at home n I've been monitoring it closely. When it's high I rest n it usually goes down. I've been getting growth checks by sonogram every four weeks and nsts every week. Laying on ur side for 30 mins every two hours wow that would b a pain! Really hope I don't get bed rest!! But with that said is do anything to keep my baby heathy! I have been Told I will be induce at least by 39 weeks.

Sorry to hear others have been frustrated w their docs n bps as well. I've gotten more advice on here than I have from my midwives lol

Hang in there ladies! 6 weeks to go!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"