Single Parents

Advice for the young folk

I've been thinking about this for a few days now.  I doubt I'll even remember all the things I thought to tell you little whippersnappers.  Oh well.  Here goes.

Start or, depending on your situation, finish college.  As a young single mom you have opportunities!  Be strong, be independent, don't put yourself in a position where you have to depend on a man (or anyone else except BDs who pay c/s) to provide for you or your kid(s).  Start here:

Be happy.  Yes, easier said than done.  I struggle with this myself.  But I remind myself daily that LIFE IS TOO SHORT.  It's too short to deal with other people's bullshit.  It's too short to wait until tomorrow.  It's too short to be with someone who can't commit to making you happy, to being faithful, to not abusing or disrespecting you, to being a good parent to your child, to loving you the way you deserve to be loved.  Yes, you do deserve the best whether you think you do or not.  Do not settle.  

Set a good example for your kids.  Teach them it's ok to love, to cry, to feel, to take chances.  Teach them self worth.  Lead by example.  Be fair but firm.  Teach them the value of money (yeah, not much these days!) and how to save (money is a little tight for us but I currently have 1% of my paycheck direct deposited into DD's bank account...just an idea). Teach them responsibility and how to take ownership.  Teach them to work for what they want.  Teach them compassion and how to stick up for the kid at school who is bullied or has no friends or who is just different.  Let them learn from their grandparents if they still have some around.  You get the idea.

Learn something new regularly.  What interests you?  Take a class.  Join a group.  Mentor someone.

Strive to be healthy.  Don't smoke or drink too much too often.  Use sunscreen.  Cook at home as often as possible and eat dinner together with no electronics in sight.  No TV/phone/computer for 30-45 minutes won't kill them or you.  

I have more but have to get ready for a meeting.  This took longer than I thought.  In the meantime, feel free to add your own 2 cents. 

<3 you ladies!

Re: Advice for the young folk

• How do you make a sticky?
  • Loading the player...
  • I dont know, @washingtonqueen, do we need a mod to make a post sticky? If so could you make this a sticky post?
  • Thanks @washingtonqueen, by the congrats on becoming a mod!
  • Your future won't be an improvement of your past unless you plan for it today.
  •  educate your kids. dont keep them ignorant.
  • Stop lineing your eyes in thick heavy black eye liner. Its not hot its not sexy. It isnt even attractive! It makes your eyes look small and squinty and not in an attractive yoyr smiling with your whole face kind of way.

In fact, the less liner on the bottom the better, and only in neautral tones itll open your damn eyes up.

Also, stop with the damn 'selfie pose' you know what im talking about. The duck lips, the ass twerked out hand on the hip head tilted back mirror selfie. Or really any selfi with duck lips is a no.

You look stupid, you look immature, and you look like your in high school, plus. Lesbi-honest no guy think duck lips are hot. They are making fun of you.

So stop it!

Also LADIES! Omg, i cannot stress this enough for girls my age. GET A FUCKING LIFE! You know why that guy you like and are obsessivly texting, and facebooking, and tweeting isnt responding? Because he knows you like him, he doesnt like you back as much but he knows your always good to hit you up if nothing better is going on.

You know whats really sexy, not being available to him all day every day. Have a life a hobby. Not worrying about does he or doesnt he like me? Quit waisting your time on douche bags who dont like you and spend your time with some one who does.

This psa brought to you by, i am going to botch slap all my friends whobdo these things.
  • I've recently become a single mom to my 7 month old son and this is what I really needed to read!

Welcome. Jump in and participate we dont bite
  • I'm way late on this, but here's my two cents! :)

Don't beat yourself up over your mistakes/failures - learn from them and grow from them...then MOVE ON!  Here's a little one of mine...I get lost a lot when I'm driving places, sometimes even when I'm going somewhere that I've been 15 times!  it happens!  whatever!  who cares!  you'll get there when you get there and deal with it when you do!  I try not to stress about things that I cannot change, and let things go fairly quickly because it's useless to stress about something that you cannot change (and that doesn't even matter that much!)
    Piggybacking on that...plan ahead.  Look at the big picture and have a plan so that you are not stuck in stressful situations that could be avoided.

Learn to put a positive spin on everything...it helps get through the tough times and helps you to "see the light at the end of tunnel" when you are having a rough time.

Make changes by taking baby steps.  Often, when you try to make a drastic change you are more likely to fail because the bar was set too high.  It's ok to celebrate the small victories that you have made towards a bigger goal. For example, you smoke regularly?  cut back from 10 cigarettes a day to 8-9 a day....and be proud of that small change!  then when you are comfortable with that, cut back a little more....keep going til you get to your goal.  Baby Steps :)

That is all :)<3 
  • I'm going to be a single mommy, I'm 21 and 14 weeks. My BD acts like he wants to be involved but makes no significant actions, he's very manipulative, I'm in college and I plan on finishing college. I only have so much left and I'm thankful for that. I count the little blessings. I was in no place to get pregnant as my family is very poor, we all share one room, but my mother so desperately encourages me that the baby needs love. We may also get low income housing soon so please keep us in your prayers as both my mom and I are attending college. Thank you for all your encouraging words, I'm scared, but I'm so excited to have a child. It is going to be a hell of an experience.
  • @madisynsmommie  I'm not really a wealth of information as I just speak from my own experiences and usually travel by gut instincts.  However, maybe some of these posts could help you?  I'm also not so good with general advice but am willing to give my two cents in on something specific. Generalities leaves too much gray area.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Bless this post, just some encouraging and good words I or advise needed. I'm 22, and gonna be a single mother. My fathers child basically ghosted me, but even though Im infuriated for the ignorance and abandonment of my child's father I'm still grateful for my child. I believe God does things for reason, I just pray I make a good mother and can provide their needs. I just still at times feel sad, how do I let my child know and as they grow that even though their father hadn't stayed they are so dearly loved by everybody.
  •  I'm 23 and have a five month old, and honestly I cried reading through (most of) the comments on this thread. Needed this. I am in school full time with a year and a half left, working part time and trying to pay off school loans before they pile up. I feel like I can't keep up with my life. I'm exhausted and overwhelmed and sometimes discouraged, but let me just say that I am happier than I've ever been.

To the first-time pregnant single girls on here--you girls are about to experience one of the most amazing things in life. YOU CAN DO IT. and don't listen to the people around you who tell you the horror stories about pregnancy and new mommy-hood...it's not that bad :) Actually the joys outweigh the hard parts by far. I know it's hard, I have been right there, I remember crying on my bed at 9 months along because I didn't want to be a mom yet. But I'm doing it and it's awesome and my little girl is the best thing that ever happened to me. She truly saved my life. 

And life happens, relationships with birth dads are so complicated, but even if he left you or doesn't care or whatever, just know that you have been handed an enormous blessing and it is all for you now! So be strong girls! Be proactive, go to school, go to work, do it for that baby who needs you. And when it's difficult remember what/who your motivation is. 

So much love sent your way! I pray for healthy babies for all of you! And if anyone ever needs to talk I am here. Xo
  • Sleep, sleep, sleep))) you not gonna have much of the sleep later! Go on the dates, have fun)