Eco-Friendly Family

Placenta encapsulation ?

Has anyone done this?

I had terrible PPD/ PPA with DS and I'd like - to put it mildly - to avoid it this time.

From what I understand, it can't hurt but it could help.

Any experiences - good, bad, indifferent?

Re: Placenta encapsulation ?

• @trishieterp I don't have a personal experience to share, but a blogger I follow had a positive experience:
    https://www.babykerf.com/placenta-consumed/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't taken my own, but I learned how to do it, and made the capsules for a friend.  My advice would be to look into recipes/how-to's and decide if you want to do it yourself or have it down by a midwife or doula.  It's not hard, but its not a process everyone would want to do (especially with a newborn to care for).

I haven't decided if I'll do it this time around - I've heard some people have great results from taking them.

Good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Ardmhs83Ardmhs83 member
    edited March 2014
    I'll also add that I haven't personally done it, but I've heard great things!  My doula does it and I am definitely doing it next time, for the same reason as you.  I'll try anything to possibly help avoid PPD/PPA...especially since it's natural! Good luck! 

Edit: spelling error
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Robi1Robi1 member
    I had mine encapsulated by a pro and took all the pills. I found it incredibly worth it. I had no problems with PPD, not even any mood problems at all. My energy level was great (for having a newborn and no sleep...) my milk came in really quickly and I had a massive oversupply, no problems with production. My bleeding stopped pretty quickly and my recovery went very well. Highly recommend it. 

I would NOT want to encapsulate myself in the first days with a newborn unless I was very skilled and practiced at it. I think it's worth the money to hire a pro. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • I haven't had any experience with it either but it's something I want to do this time around. I've heard nothing but good things from people who've done it. Except one gal did say it gave her so much energy she felt kinda jittery like she drank too much coffee.
    Chase Alexander 12-11-01
    Sierra Nicole 6-15-05
    Avery Lyn 8-2-12
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"