VBAC

VBAC v. Scheduled C-Section

With my DS I went into labor at 39 weeks when my water broke.  After I got to the hospital my contractions slowed and they put me on pitocin. * I also had a Epidural, which could have slowed my labor.  My DS heartbeat fluctated from 80-180, and the doctors were worried that the cord was wrapped around his neck.  So I had an emergency c-section after being in labor for 13 hours.  It turns out he had a short umbilical cord and wasn't even in the birth canal.  I only make it to 7 cm.  This time around my OB is letting me decide whether to try for a VBAC or schedule my c-section.  I am worried that my labor won't progress and I'll end up having a csection anways.  Per my OB VBAC better for me that scheduled, but scheduled csection better than emergency.  My recovery from my csection went pretty well.  I am not planning on having any other children.  On the fence, they're are advantages & disadvantages to both.  Any feedback or past experience would be helpful.  Thanks ladies.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: VBAC v. Scheduled C-Section

• I debated with this question too...  Every pregnancy and every labor is different, so what you experienced last time may not be what happens this time.   I labored for nearly 2 days, pushed for 3 hours and my body gave up.  My contractions flat out stopped, so to c-section I went. 
    I'm very afraid the same thing may happen again... but... I'm going to VBAC because I don't want to have to recover from a c-section while taking care of a baby AND a toddler.   However, I am prepared for the possibility of another c-section.  I'm giving myself 2 hours of pushing, and if this baby isn't out, I'll just request a c-section and get it out.   So, at least I know I tried... and who knows, it may just work.   Good luck with your decision.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • I'm believe  I have to make this decision too. It still may be made for me, considering some medical things that I'm trying to figure out. While I'd love a definite time for baby's birth (last time things went on and on up to an emergency CS), I don't want to recover from another CS. More so, I don't want to labor and then have an ECS, it was NOT a good experience for me. But the labor wasn't so great either- disorganized and went on for days without any progression.

A while ago, my OB office didn't do VBAC- that made things easy. I found out they do now and I'm the crunchy non-meds kind- don't want them in my body. I'm nervous about it all with the way the scar feels and the fact that I have a connective tissue disorder. I think if I was really anxious, I could talk to them or MFM and push for a RCS. I have no idea what to do, I almost wish the decision was made for me.
    imageimage"">

• Loading the player...
  • I am sitting here thinking about this too. Here is my 2 cents about it. Each pregnancy is different, maybe this baby will have a longer cord and be in a better position. Not trying and having a CS with a 18 month old to run after with the recovery far out weigh the low risk of uterine rupture. I mean you can rupture when you have never had a CS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had two vaginal births.  My first was 22.5 hrs with pitocin and an epi that wore off right before pushing, and I pushed for 1.5 hrs.  My second was 10 hrs, with pitocin, an epi that was wonderful (I could still move my legs, but the contractions didn't kill me) and I pushed 3 minutes.  My third daughter was born via c-section due to placenta previa.  I am really leaning towards a VBAC this time as long as everything is ok (no placenta previa).  I really fear having to run around after a 23 month old, while taking care of a newborn, and recovering from a c-section. 
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • I had a planned c section as mybaby was breech . It went smoothly . i was breastfeeding in a half hour or so . Bonded well. Recovered fairly easily etc. I can't decide. I am pretty scared of a vaginal delivery . I am also scared if an emergency. C section which seems so much worse . I think I might want to do a planned c section instead of v bac because I'm scared of vaginal delivery and of emergency c section.
  • While I am concerned about another emergency c-section (DS was cord presentation- very emergency), I found it extremely difficult to care for a newborn while healing from a c-section. MH did everything except for breastfeed for basically two weeks. It is major abdominal surgery and that's what it felt like. I can't imagine having a newborn and a toddler and barely being able to function.

That said, I know several people who had fairly easy c-section recoveries (many on this board), and several people who had terrible vaginal birth recoveries. I just know that for me, I'd really like to have the chance to NOT have surgery before launching into life with 2u2.

GL on your very personal decision.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you everyone, but my decision ended up being made for me by my placenta.  At my 20 week u/s they found I had placenta previa, so even if it moves, I am no longer a good canidate for a VBAC.  Good luck with your own decisions & births.  Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you.

• I know you have to have a C-Section, and I believe that if you must you must. I am not sure if this is a post only for women who are considering a VBAC, but thought I would share my experience since many C-Sections are necessary (some are, though). I had a C-Section with my first baby (I honestly believe my doctor was annoyed I pushed for three hours and that he wanted to get it over with.....It was around the holidays. He never even came in to see me, just told the nurses I was going to have a C-Section). The second time around I decided to do a HBAC (Home Birth After Cesarean), mostly because no doctor would do a VBAC. I took classes, found a midwife, and did all of my research. I LOVED my home birth experience! It was the best thing for me and from all of my research, any amount of pushing is great for baby in the long run. I know not all are canidates for a VBAC, but if you are and are really considering, I highly suggest taking a Bradley class...even if you don't intend to do it without drugs, it's a great class to really prep you for a vaginal birth. :) Good luck to you all!!!
  • Just re-read my post....meant to say many C-Sections are not necessary. :)
  • Why wouldn't you be a good candidate for VBAC if your previa moves?  I was also diagnosed with a complete previa at my anatomy scan, and my docs are fine with VBAC if it moves.
    Married 7.5.08
    BFP 12/10/10 - DD1 8/16/11
    BFP 10/29/13 - c/p 11/2/13
    BFP 11/29/13 - DD2 7/18/14
    BFP 3/20/18 - DS1 due 12/2/18
  • I'm at least going to try for a VBAC. I know I would regret it if I didn't. Not all failed VBACs are emergency c-sections. A life threatening ruptured uterus is very very rare, and you would most likely have a RCS for something else, like failure to progress or fetal distress.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"