Birth Stories

Colton's birth story!

Here's Colton Reid's birth story! I learned a lot between my first and second pregnancy. My first son was born at 39 weeks & 2 days, had multiple contractions days before delivery, but they were only BH b/c they weren't changing anything and walking didn't change their frequency. My first was also in the NICU, so I never had the experience of riding out in a wheelchair with a newborn in my lap. Moving on: My due date (2/11) came with no progression, 0 dilation and my cervix so high it was barely reachable. I decided it was time to take evening primrose oil and raspberry leaf tea just in the off chance that it might help my cervix. I had a NST done on 2/12 and it went well. Starting at 39 weeks my braxton hicks contractions had progressed to contractions with pain. It was the week of delivery that I learned the true difference between BH and real contractions. I had BH's starting around 24 weeks, and in my 30th week, some evenings where they were 5 minutes apart, but would go away with hydration. Back to week 41! I had contractions with pain. The last two days of my pregnancy, I had painful contractions I had to breathe through that were spaced 15 minutes apart. Early 2/14 contractions were painful, having to breathe through them, and were 15 minutes apart. I had my OB visit at 1pm and an NST. NST went well heart rate wise, but the monitor was acting up and wasn't picking up my contractions. I was checked and my cervix was still high, but I was dilated to 3. She would not be able to get me in for an induction until Monday, but I knew this baby wasn't waiting until then. Any time I stood up or did any kind of activity, it would bring on a contraction. I was told to go to the hospital if they were 5 or less apart. I had brought my mother and 4 year old to my last appointment, so we chose to try and increase these painful contractions in frequency, so we went grocery shopping at Kroger! I think the internal exam had also increased the contractions. I pulled out my phone and began using the app: We were 8 apart, then 6, to an average of 5 and 4. This had to look interesting to people as every time I had a contraction I would freeze up and have to grab onto a shelf and concentrate on breathing. Afterward, we had to go pick up a car battery in another city and drop off my son with "papa". My mother and husband were the ones to go to the hospital with me, so we cruised on in at 7 P.M. and I was in a lot of pain. I was checked and now at a 4. I couldn't wait to get out of triage and get into a room so I could get an epidural! They wheeled me into my room, and as soon as I climbed into the bed, my water breaks. I chose to just lay in it because I refused to move through another contraction until I could have my epi. I give the hospital props for being so quick with the epidural, and soon I felt very well. Every time I'd have a contraction I would feel pressure in my buttocks, which was weird, but something tolerable. I was checked at various times, and had made it to a 6. I was in a lot of pain again and started to moan through, and asked for more meds. They gave me another bullous (sp?) and said it would take a few minutes to kick in. Within a few minutes I was starting to get rather loud, and my body had started to try and push. They checked me and I was at a 9. I had progressed from a 6 to a 9 within 30 minutes, and it only took another minute and I was at a 10. I did pretty well without screaming my head off until the end. I was able to push, and I had lost it all because of the pain. I wasn't listening to the doctor or anyone around me. The on call DO was having me push even when I didn't have a contraction, which was hard, but still productive. Within 10 minutes of agony, he was out! Colton was 8 pounds 8 ounces and 20 inches long. If he would have come 15 minutes earlier, he would have been a Valentine's baby, but ah well. LO's face was a little bruised from pushing so fast, and I ended up with a 2nd degree tear just like with my first son. I just look at the first pictures of my boys together and feel so warm inside.

Pregnant with #3, after thee, three's complete!!

Re: Colton's birth story!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"