May 2014 Moms

Diaper brand recommendation for baby boy

So confused...huggies, pampers, costco brand ??

Re: Diaper brand recommendation for baby boy

• I agree with PP, you just have to try several brands until you find one that fits well and doesn't leak. You may also have to switch brand when you go up a size
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto the others. Really has nothing to do with the sex of your baby
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• There's not really one brand that's better for either sex. It's still going to depend on the baby's exact body shape.

That said, I've known a pretty equal number of boy and girl parents who settle on Luvs as their favorite, regardless of the child's shape. They seem to have a more generic fit that fits a broad range of body shapes.

Also, often if a baby continues to blow out or soak through a particular diaper, it can be a sizing problem rather than a brand problem.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I'll agree with everyone else that you just have to try out a few different kinds to see what works best for your baby. I will say that all the boys in my family (DS and cousins) have used Luvs. They fit the best and didn't leak, unlike Huggies. Pampers were pretty good for us too, but are more expensive. We've used Target brand as well, and they work just fine. The grip the Target brand has on the flaps is stronger, which is nice when baby starts to realize he/she can take the diaper off! Lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love the Target brand diapers. Pampers work well too. I'm not a huge fan of huggies and don't like the smell of Luvs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

• I loved huggies supreme. They held up overnight and blowouts.
  • I agree with trying different brands.  We started out with Huggies but after a few months ended up preferring Luvs over all others - tried Huggies, Pampers, Costco, and Target brand before realizing how much better Luvs worked for us.  Test drive them all and see what works for you. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We've had luck with pampers. Target, CVS, a couple store brands, and huggies didn't work out between blow outs and rashes. I'm going to have to try Luvs now.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Huggies did not work for us. As a newborn we put her in Pampers. We later switched to Target brand and haVe used them ever since! I have heArd different brands work on different baby bums.
  • Every baby is different. You just have to experiment until you find what works. We used Huggies with DS but prefered pampers swaddlers with DD until bigger sizes then used target brand.
  • The idea of gendered disposable diapers is really a holdover from the mid-90s when disposable wicking materials weren't as absorbent and companies would market diapers towards girls and boys, focusing the bulk of the diaper in different areas. (Boy diapers were thicker in front, girls through the crotch line). Now the wicking materials have advanced to the point that they don't need to differentiate and can make a thin diaper with even absorbency throughout. So your leak issues will have more to do with your baby and fit than they will with gender.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Every kid is different... that being said, DS did great with Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive.  That's what they  used in the hospital and we continued using at home and never once had a leak or blowout...

• We had lots of leaks with Huggins, and I think the pee smell in them in awful. Love pampers and haven't had trouble. Luvs are ok but I prefer the pampers for my little man

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I like Luvs.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • I think whatever works is best. Though when I was pregnant with DS I did a science lab experiment with my 5th graders where we compared size 1 dipes from various brands (Huggies, pampers, luvs and target) to see which would hold the most water before leaking and Huggies "won" in every lab group. That being said, my son can still pee through one in a night time stretch.
  • Huggies leaked terribly for us!! So far pampers are the only ones that haven't leaked or left a weird rash on him. Seriously buy a small box of each and try them all.
  • Pampers swaddlers are great for newborns and infants. Once DS got older we prefer Huggies from Costco. I think they have a special kind that is specific to Costco. The Costco brand also works nicely. Huggies Overnights are fabulous. I highly recommend them. They made all the difference in DS sleeping through the night.
  • Just to kind of add to what everyone else has stated..
    Every baby is different.  With DS, I really loved Target brand diapers and Pampers.
    I would recommend registering for several different brands of diapers so you're able to have an idea what works best before you invest in a huge box.
  • we've always favored Pampers. But this is one of those decisions where it's whatever works for your family and your preference. Huggies and Luvs both leaked for us, which is why we stuck to Pampers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've heard that a lot of boys get rashes from Huggies, but I know plenty of little boys who where both and I don't see how it's related. It's all about fit and you'll see how it works when baby is born. Boys and girls leak differently. Other than that I'm a FTM so I figure I'll register and buy pampers and then see after. I've heard that stores are so good about returning them without a receipt.
  • Buy in bulk, Costco whatever brand that is having a deal. You will go through more diapers then you can imagine.
  • kat8805 said:
    kweetkiki glad you opened up the diaper convo, lots of good info here. Did you get the answers you were looking for since you haven't returned?

Busted. 
  • We used Pampers from day one without issues, and then switched for money purposes to Luvs, and are just as satisfied with them.
    imageimageimage

• Thanks ladies..a friend happened to show me that the inner lining for huggies and costco is the same. So she said the same things that most of you did ..get small packages and see ...and that in case huggies suits ..then mostly the costco brand will be good...Her baby didn't like pampers and would get rashes with it ..since it's kinda a net material ...

So ..will get small packages and see which one my baby likes ..hope there's not much issue :D...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"