May 2014 Moms
Options

Girl diaper care suggestions? Talc free baby powder?

So I am a STM but my 1st was a boy and we NEVER used baby powder for diapering. He never had diaper rash or any issues in the gential area. I was told that with girls you should always use baby powder because of all the extra folds. I recall reading that if you are going to use baby powder to get the talc free kind because talc can get in the babies lungs since it is small partical.

For girls, what has worked for you with diaper care? I am kinda afaird of diaper rash since my son never went through it. Some girls at his daycare had it really bad.

We used CA baby diaper area wash spray and the sensitive diaper rash cream. Any time he had a really soaked urine diaper (mornings) or a bowel moment we would use the two products as a preventive measure. https://www.amazon.com/California-Baby-Diaper-Area-Wash/dp/B000GZJIVQ/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=Q431DTNAHDEI&coliid=I2FZC6ZYRGIHHB

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Girl diaper care suggestions? Talc free baby powder?

• Options
    I only use baby powder or diaper creams if she has a rash until it clears up.  I've never done anything special otherwise - just wipe and put on a new diaper.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I've never used diaper powder. We use Desitin for rashes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've never heard that you should use powder at all and never anything specific either way for a girl. In fact, the daycare I worked at for years the majority of people choose not to use powder on their babies at all. There is no need for it.
  • Options
    DD had a lot of troubles with diaper rash. I think partly due to extra sensitive skin and partly due to the actual diapers (partly why we are planning to CD this time around)

I found that making sure she was very dry before putting on a new diaper was helpful along with lots of naked butt time when an issue was beginning to arise. I also found coconut oil to be helpful if she was starting to get a little something but didn't need full barrier cream.

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Agree with PPs that powder is not necessary. We just let DD air out for a minute before strapping on a new diaper. if I'm in a hurry, I either use a dry cloth to pat her dry or just run my fingers down the big crease where her legs meet (think panty line) to wipe off any excess moisture and she's good to go.

And if I know she's just peed or poo' d and we're at home, I usually just let her go bottom free for a while to let her air out.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    I never used baby powder. The pedi said not to, due to the inhalation hazard. He recommended Vaseline as a moisture barrier. When DD was a newborn he had poop in every single diaper we changed for at least 3m, so we used Vaseline with every change. We used mustela diaper rash cream when she would get a rash. Now I just use diaper rash cream if she has a rash, no Vaseline.
  • Options
    We never used powder. DD never had issues on her girl parts, just the normal diaper rash on her butt once or twice. I have heard you aren't supposed to use powder at all because it can be inhaled.
  • Options
    FWIW, with powder, yes inhalation is a risk, but you can certainly still use it if you're careful about applying it.  I use a small travel-sized bottle of it and hold it close to her bum and gently tap some out and it works just fine.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    We never used baby powder either.  Just desitin for rashes, maybe some aquaphor.  And like others we patted her dry between changes.  (When she got yeast infections in her diaper area lotrimin worked wonders!)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have two girls and one boy and didn't do anything differently when diapering any of them.  I don't use cream every day and only use Butt Paste or Triple Paste if the baby has a diaper rash.  This is very rare and I even still have the same tub of Triple Paste that I started with my first daughter.  I have had kids in diapers for the past 5 1/2 years straight.  I have never used powder with any of them.  
    My first daughter did get a yeast infection once but that was treated with an antibiotic cream that we had to get from the doctor.  It cleared up very quickly and we continued with our normal diaper routine.  She was 15 months old at the time and did not get another infection.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"