Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Bruised rib/pulled muscle from coughing??

Anyone ever had this?  Yesterday I started getting this sharp pain on the right side of my rib cage (right under my right boob-ish) when I cough or take a deep breath.  I've been trying to just like observe it and it feels very much like a bruise or muscle injury, bothers me when I move certain ways, etc.  It hasn't gotten worse or spread since it started yesterday... DH thinks I pulled a muscle from one of my many coughing fits, it feels more like a bruised rib to me.  Anyone ever had something like this? I'm reluctant to go to the Dr. since I don't want an x-ray or anything and it isn't getting any worse....
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

Re: Bruised rib/pulled muscle from coughing??

• Options
    I had a staff member crack a few ribs from coughing when he had mono. It's possible. And painful. I'm so sorry.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    It could be anything from a sore muscle to a cracked rib. I get bad URIs and usually end up with sore muscles around my ribs, which make it painful to breathe. Good luck, I hope its nothing serious!

Baby Girl born 7/9/2014 at 34.5wks

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, it still definitely hurts... but my cough is definitely finally improving today and that's what hurts it most, so I'm just trying to refrain from too much lifting and hoping it goes away on its own soon enough.

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

• Options
    That was me a few weeks ago from a sinus infection. I thought I had a hernia... Nope, just a painful pulled muscle. No fun!

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    I had just the same with my first pregnancy. They made me an ultrasound in the ER and I felt like dying (they were pushing like the push in our bellies to see the baby). Apparently they could diagnose it with it, no X-ray needed. I ended with a fracture and having to take Tylenol 3 due the pain. I had to rest for 3 weeks without moving since they couldn't put me a wrap (I was 7 months pregnant). After taking Tylenol 3 for 2 days and feeling totally zombie, I decided not to take it and go on with regular Tylenol... I cried every day for the first 2 weeks. Sleeping was the worst, plus the baby kept kicking and the pain was unbearable (and I still had the cough). Still I don't know if I did good or not, but hey, in that moment it felt the right decision.  I still survived, the baby was totally fine (now a 2.5 toddler) but it was one of the most horrible pains I ever felt in my life. 

Mummy to 2 wonderful children
    Noah (2011) & Lily (2014)
  • Options
    I had similar happen years ago when I had bronchitis. It hurt so much. I hope you feel better soon!

Ps. Cute giraffe ticker <3

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    @junebug060609 I love that you noticed that!  

Yea- I don't know, the cough is really dwindling but the rib is still not fun.  I'm not sure if I should like not lay on that side? It hurts when I move onto it, but then when I do it's fine... but now I feel like it's worse this morning, so I'm guessing laying on it is a no-no.  

CafeMom Tickers

My Blog

• Options
    I had that kind of pain at about 26-27 weeks.  I was convinced I had a fractured rib....turns out it was just my ribcage expanding as the baby grew.    But I just noticed your ticker says your 5w4d, so I'm guessing it's probably too early for that :-)   

Having said that, it IS possible to get hairline fractures from coughing.   Unfortunately, there really isn't much that a doctor can do for a fractured rib anyway, except give you good drugs for the pain (which they won't do because you're pregnant) and tell you to avoid things that cause pain.

So I think that leaves you with Tylenol, heating pads (okay for short periods of time) and ice packs, which may or may not help.   Sorry :-(
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@junebug060609 I love that you noticed that!  

Yea- I don't know, the cough is really dwindling but the rib is still not fun.  I'm not sure if I should like not lay on that side? It hurts when I move onto it, but then when I do it's fine... but now I feel like it's worse this morning, so I'm guessing laying on it is a no-no.  
    When I saw it I was all, "Aww, Peyton's giraffe". Made me think of his pins/shirts from the MOD walk. Big brother watching over him/her :)

You could always call your doc and see what they say.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I bruised my ribs once with bronchitis. They x-rayed me to make sure I didn't fracture them, but I wasn't pregnant so it wasn't a big deal. I had to watch how deeply I breathed and how I moved until it healed. I hope it gets better soon!
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Options
    I did this once! Bruised my rib couging. They perscribed me cough medicine with codeine (but I wasn't pregnant). Sorry. I know it's pretty painful - especially if you still have the cough.

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</a>[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/43ff7d]
    [img]http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/43ff7d/ttc.png[/img]
    [/
    RA with Sjogren's Syndrome. Risk of heart block in newborn. Age: DH and I are both 38.
    BFP #1: 11/25/2007, EDD 7/28/2008 - Missed m/c (blighted ovum) 12/6/2007 6w3d, D&C 1/3/2008.
    BFP #2: 4/2008 - Natural m/c at 6w.
    Met with RE in 5/2008 full cycle analysis and SA normal. Not considered high risk for blood clots but prescribed 1 baby aspirin a day precautionary during TTC and Progesterone suppositories during 1st trimester of pregnancy.
    BFP #3: 10/17/2008. EDD 6/23/2009,  Third time's the charm! Healthy baby boy born 6/27/2009 via emergency c-section.
    BFP #4: 6/14/2011. Healthy baby boy born 2/16/2012 via elective c-section.
    BFP #5: 1/15/2014. EDD 9/22/2014. 
    2/17/14:.We have a BABY!!! Heart rate 167 and measuring on time. 3/10/14 u/s #2 baby measuring perfectly at 12 weeks at heart rate of 166. NT u/s was normal. Maternit21 blood draw on 3/5/14. Results back on 3/19 - Normal.  It's a BOY!!!  4/10/14 at 16 weeks, 3 days discovered baby's heart stopped at 15 weeks, 6 days. D&C 4/11/14.  Pathology results were all normal.  New information on 8/11/14 - blood test revealed 1/3 of babys blood was in mine caused, most likely, by a tear in the placenta from extreme coughing.  Doctor believes this to be the cause of death.  Repeat D&C and Hysteroscopy scheduled for 8/19/14.  My Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"