Nurseries and Baby Gear

Battery Operated Pump Other Than Medela Freestyle?

Hi All,

I have the Medela Freestyle breast pump from DS1.  I LOVED the portability of it and not having to be attached to a wall outlet, but I think my milk supply suffered because of this pump.  There are a lot of people who complain about it having bad suction, and I had issues with supply once I went back to work and was pumping almost full-time.

Are there any other good pump options out there that are battery operated?  I'm thinking I might buy a new pump for DS2 because of my supply issue, particularly if my insurance company will cover it this time.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: Battery Operated Pump Other Than Medela Freestyle?

• The Ameda Purely Yours can be used either plugged in or with AA batteries.  I have only used it plugged in so not sure if the suction changes on battery power.  
  • I purchased a hygeia enjoye, which has an internal rechargeable battery and can be plugged in as well. It gets good reviews. I can't tell you how well it worked because I had serious feeding problems with my son that went beyond just a BF problem, so I never had a chance to see how it would work.

This pump is a closed system, so it can be safely shared, and I have heard that customer service is really good with this company for repairs.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Loading the player...
  • The regular Medela PISA have a battery pack.  I will say though, I was going through batteries like crazy!  Once they start to go, the suction sucks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Both the regular PISA and the Ameda PY have battery options. No experience with batteries on the PISA yet but I used the Ameda with my last and I felt like the batteries were just as good as power outlet. But they do drain fast. I wouldn't want to use them daily but for occasional travel or whatever- it was fine.

• I don't recommend the Ameda Purely Yours.  I just got one and the suction sucks.  Fortunately mine also came with a hand/manual pump that I have been using.  It would take me over an hour just to pump 4 oz of milk with the electric pump.  I can pump 4 oz in less than 10 minutes with the manual pump.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Thanks for all of the input!  I was reading reviews of the Ameda PY, and it seems like they must have made a production change in the past year or so, because all of the recent reviews I've read are TERRIBLE.  I've heard it's one of the primary pumps that is covered by the new insurance laws, so maybe they've had a hard time with quality control with the influx of new orders.

Has anyone used a pump by Spectra?  It's a little-known brand in the US, but apparently very popular in the UK and Australia.  I'm looking at their S1 pump, which has a rechargable battery.  There are few reviews on it, but the ones I've read are all very positive.

• I didn't because I realized that my insurance paid for a pump.  I got the Hygeia Enjoye instead (the Spectra was not an option through my insurance).  My particular Hygeia is not battery operated, but I still have the Freestyle from my first baby, so I just use the Freestyle when I need something portable (which isn't very often).  The Hygeia is an excellent pump... much better than my Freestyle.
  • Love Hygeia! But I actually have one that isn't battery powered. When you run a pump on battery power it's not as powerful as it is when plugged it and it can hurt your supply. Something to keep in mind.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"