April 2014 Moms

i didn't think it was possible for my nose to be this blocked

Warning, this is just one big whiney rant.

I have had a cold since Monday morning. I was pretty miserable yesterday but started feeling better at my 31 week appointment with my OB. I asked her for some suggestions that I could try to get some relief. She suggested the Neti Pot or saline nose drops. I started feeling worse after me appointment so I bought the nose drops but they didn't really do anything. I was hoping a long hot shower would help but it didn't either. By yesterday evening both nostrils were completely blocked, it seriously feels like my nose is filled with cement. My nose is throbbing and my teeth even ache! I couldn't sleep at all and my DH heard me flailing around in bed (I was having panic attack) and he got up and got dressed and took me to Walgreen's to buy a Neti Pot at 1:30 AM. When we got home I took another hot shower and then used the Neti Pot which seemed to help so I layed back down. Unfortunately the relief only lasted about 30 minutes and I hadn't fallen asleep yet. My nose was completely blocked again. I never did fall asleep last night. I managed a 30 minute nap this morning because I ended up calling off work. I didn't know my nose could ever be THIS blocked. :( I am just worried about the baby of course between the lack of sleep and the panic attack. I called my OB's office a little bit ago and I am waiting for a call back. I am really hoping she has another suggestion for me but I know my choices are extremely limited.

BFP 8/9/2013
EDD for our baby boy 4/14/2014
Eli Thomas born 4/22/2014

Re: i didn't think it was possible for my nose to be this blocked

• I was just going to suggest a neti pot or NeilMed sinus rinse bottle.  Maybe try to use them more often.  I swear being sick while pregnant and not being able to take anything that would actually help any of the symptoms is the worst thing ever.

Maybe try a humidifier in your room at night and propping myself up to sleep seemed to help me.  My doc just said drink lots of hot liquids as they clear your sinuses.  It seemed to help a bit.

Hang in there and I hope you start to feel better soon.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• Thanks for your suggestions. I unfortunately already was using a humidifier and propped up and that didn't work. I can't believe how bad it is. The nurse just called to ask a few questions and is going to call me back after she talks to the doctor. It sounds like they might call in some kind of persceiption. Ugh I really don't like taking medicine right now but I am miserable. 

BFP 8/9/2013

• Loading the player...
  • I'd use the netipod in the AM and in the PM. It really helps me. I also sleep with a humidifier and breath right stripes on. 
    image image

BabyFruit Ticker

• Hopefully the doctor has more ideas because you're doing everything I've ever heard to do.  Although the breathe right strips that reginahcampbell mentioned above might help too.  I've heard them suggested, but have never tried those.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• Now they think I have a severe sinus infection. I am getting a z-pak to hopefully reduce the swelling in my nasal passages.

BFP 8/9/2013

• I have had the same swelling since I was 15 weeks... I got a vaporizer with Vicks I use in it everyday and my OB let me use nasal spray (afrin) mostly because nothing else works and it blocks so bad I puke on myself... Not cute at all... They gave me a Z pack it didn't do much but make me super sick the first night... The afrin helps so much I use it once a day And also take a Benedryl at night...
  • I find that I get super congested at night.  We set up a hepafilter and have found that makes a significant difference.  
  • You may have a sinus infection. I had one at 11weeks; had to take antibiotics.
  • I swear by netipots. I have been stuffed up lately with this pregnancy. A netipot is the only thing I find helps.
    I agree with pp that it could be an infection though so you should get checked out.
  • I've been congested since week 12, and it has gotten worse since week 32. Bloody noses if I blow too early in the AM or too late in the PM. I bought Ocean nasal spray and will try it out tonight and let you know if it works! I also put in vaseline in my nostrils before bed and it's soothing when I blow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"