Postpartum Depression

Long Term Effects of Zoloft?

First time mom here, but I've definitely had my fair share of depression and anxiety in the past, so it came as no surprise to me when I started feeling irrationally terrified that something awful was going to happen to my daughter or my husband or me. It was manageable the first week, but got much harder in the second, and is only getting worse. Anyway, it sounds like my OB wants to put me on Zoloft, because studies have shown that it's the safest anti-depressant for a breastfeeding mom. But I'm reluctant, because I've been scouring the internet, and can't seem to find any information as to what its LONG TERM effects might be on a baby. The idea of taking something that has really only been extensively studied in the short term scares the daylights out of me (shocker, I have an anxiety disorder!). But it's not a crazy-outlandish concern, right? Lots of people have been prescribed medications in the past while pregnant or breastfeeding, only to find out later that their children suffered previously unknown consequences, haven't they? Does anyone know of a study done on the long term effects Zoloft has had on breastfed babies?

Re: Long Term Effects of Zoloft?

• jasrun80jasrun80 member
    edited February 2014
    I don't know if the drugs been around enough to really have extensive study but I did read much about how it's processed through the body & if it gets to the baby & how it digests it etc... I took a low dose of zoloft and in fact I cut it to 12mg because that's what worked best for me. common dosing is 50-100. so clearly 12 is quite low but in the study I read, zoloft was decreased significantly once it got to the BM. in doses low as 10-30, it wasn't shown at all in the baby's plasma, and it was very low if detectable in the 50-100. I know this is not what you were looking for, but I hope it eases your mind a bit. I am currently pregnant with my third and plan to start zoloft immediately after delivering. I'm very anxious now, but it not as bad as my ppd, so it's controllable enough until then. I'm not sure there are other options. but formula is an option if you can't get past the worry. I loved earths best and will integrate it into my newborns diet as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Exactly as PP said, the dose that actually makes it to the baby through the BM is a tiny fraction of what you get. I could possibly see there being an effect if you are taking extremely high doses, but needing that high of a dose is doubtful.

I'm not sure what I can do or say to help except that, by whatever means you choose to pursue, you can get a handle on it and feel better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"