May 2014 Moms

The Glucose Test

2»

Re: The Glucose Test

• I hope I get it done at my next appointment. I have to meet up with a new doctor so I will let whoever it is know I haven't had it done yet.

It's a BOY

• I take mine next Wednesday, the 26th.
  • Loading the player...
  • Passed the 3.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• MK1013 said:
    I didn't vote because I don't get my official results until tomorrow for the one-hour I did Saturday. But both my Family Doc and OB called about my low iron result from that set of blood work, and neither mentioned me failing the glucose test, so I'm hoping that's a good sign :)

I'll vote tomorrow after my OB appointment.
    My blood work showed low iron as well. Guess I need to start taking iron supplements. Passed the glucose test, so that is great news.
    I, too, had low iron results from my tests this morning (passed the GTT). Off to get supplements.
    What kind did you get? (Purely curiosity). I'm on Euro-Fer and so far they are pretty good, very gentile on the stomach/digestive track (which was my main concern about needing an iron supplement).
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I didn't vote yet, I find out my results tomorrow.  I had to do a 2 hour test only.  
  • I just got my results today and I failed so off to the three hour test :(

BabyFruit Ticker

• MK1013 said:
    MK1013 said:
    I didn't vote because I don't get my official results until tomorrow for the one-hour I did Saturday. But both my Family Doc and OB called about my low iron result from that set of blood work, and neither mentioned me failing the glucose test, so I'm hoping that's a good sign :)

I'll vote tomorrow after my OB appointment.
    My blood work showed low iron as well. Guess I need to start taking iron supplements. Passed the glucose test, so that is great news.
    I, too, had low iron results from my tests this morning (passed the GTT). Off to get supplements.
    What kind did you get? (Purely curiosity). I'm on Euro-Fer and so far they are pretty good, very gentile on the stomach/digestive track (which was my main concern about needing an iron supplement).
    I'm on Ferrous Sulf, but only on my second day so I can't really say how it's going. I've noticed a bit of a stomach ache today. Anyone know anything about this kind?
    Iron can be really hard on your digestive track. Most iron supplements say to take on an empty stomach to help with absorption, but my OB and pharmacist recommended taking them with food, or after a meal if I had issues with it. I find iron makes me constipated, but I've been eating greek yogurt with probiotics everyday and it has really helped keep me regular despite the iron I'm taking now. You shouldn't eat dairy (or any calcium source) within 2 hours of taking iron, so I take my iron at night have the probiotic yogurt in the morning.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Just had my appt and I passed the 2 hour test. What a relief!!!

Good luck to you guys still waiting to hear back!
  • I took my one hour today... gosh, I wish the results were immediate!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took a 1 hr. at 15 weeks and passed. I have to do the 1 hr. again next week.

• Took my 1 hr yesterday. Haven't heard anything today but I'll give it another day
  • I had to take an early 1hr test back around Christmas time because of my weight. I passed that one but next Thursday I take the 1hr again, so we shall see how it goes.

• I just got my results and am happy to participate in this poll!! Passed!
    <image>
  • Woo hoo! Found out today I passed the 1 hour!
  • Passed the one hour! I am so happy!!!! :D 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Woohoo!  Found out I passed my one hour today!
  • Passed the one hour and every thing was normal, except my vitamin D was low (something my endocrinologist wanted along with my TSH and B12). Will bring up vitamin D levels at my next appointment with both midwife and endo.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Passed the one hour! :D
    image"">image"">imageimageimage
  • I got my 1 hour results today. I passed! I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy so I thought I would definitely get it again or at least have to take the 3 hour test. I was definitely surprised by the news.
  • I passed the 2 hour, just got my results!
  • I took the 1 hour test over a week ago.. My ob never called to say I failed so i'm saying no news is good news
    Pregnancy Ticker
    photo 60020120725ELE036.jpgphoto IMG_18642013130584_zps06545ab5.jpg
  • I have to take the 3 hour and wonder how long to expect to be at the hospital....some say all day....I also wonder if they stick you 3 different time or put an IV like setup in?
  • @sarahjanisse - it's a 3 hour test... so you will be there for 3 hours, unless there was something else they needed you there for. Here is the info I found upon Googling "3 hour glucose tolerance test" https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007562.htm
    imageimageimage

• I have to take the 3 hour and wonder how long to expect to be at the hospital....some say all day....I also wonder if they stick you 3 different time or put an IV like setup in?
    I didn't have to do a 3 hour, but I did the one hour at a public lab and they had me drink the orange stuff and then gave me a form that said the time I had to come back at (1 hour later), and just said to come to the front desk at that time, so I was actually able to leave for an hour and then return. I imagine they would do the 3 hour the same way, which means you could get some errands done in between draws ... but then they would have to stick you 3 separate times for the draws.

Do you have to do yours at a hospital? I image they would keep you there the whole time if you do.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:

You will be there a minimum of three hours, as the tests name suggests.

It is four needle sticks. One before the drink, then on the hour at the 1, 2, and 3 hour marks.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Junebug060609Junebug060609 member
    edited February 2014

I have to take the 3 hour and wonder how long to expect to be at the hospital....some say all day....I also wonder if they stick you 3 different time or put an IV like setup in?

I didn't have to do a 3 hour, but I did the one hour at a public lab and they had me drink the orange stuff and then gave me a form that said the time I had to come back at (1 hour later), and just said to come to the front desk at that time, so I was actually able to leave for an hour and then return. I imagine they would do the 3 hour the same way, which means you could get some errands done in between draws ... but then they would have to stick you 3 separate times for the draws.

Do you have to do yours at a hospital? I image they would keep you there the whole time if you do.

You might be able to do errands in the first hour or two...but by the end you likely wont feel like it. Keep in mind this is a fasting test, so you wont have eaten anything but that sugar drink for like 12 hours. Also, some women dont do well with the sugar crash at the end...probably better to not be driving. Bring some snacks to chow down on afterwards!

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I took a 1 hr. at 15 weeks and passed. I have to do the 1 hr. again next week.

You will be there a minimum of three hours, as the tests name suggests.

It is four needle sticks. One before the drink, then on the hour at the 1, 2, and 3 hour marks.
    I also had four separate needle sticks and was there for just three hours. I started feeling very nauseous during the second hour. Mine was done at the hospital and we were not allowed to leave the building. You may want to bring a book or something else to do. Iwasso glad my hubby was there to keep me company and to drive me home after.
  • Thanks for sharing your experiences. It will be at the hospital and I expect to feel terrible....just from the fasting alone! Waahhhhh!!!!! Wish my husband had to do anything remotely uncomfortable during this pregnancy! The end is in sight though!
  • MK1013 said:
    Those of you that ran errands: props. Lots of them. I only had to do the one hour with both DS and again this pregnancy, but I felt awful after I drank the nasty stuff and for a good hour or so after my blood draw. I even ate before! I feel like a wimp, ha!

My errands after the test were fueled purely by a Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich and 2 doughnuts. I figured I should indulge before I got my results (thankfully I passed). But if I had to do the 3 hour and fast ... I probably would have been sleeping before blood draw 3!
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"