May 2014 Moms
Options

ST+M - VBAC/RCS question

If you had a c-section, how are you/did you decide whether to VBAC or RCS?

When DS was born, I was induced at 41 weeks, in labor for 24 hours, and ended up with a c-section due to failure to progress.  DS was sunny-side up, and his head was (read: is) an awkward shape.  I am sure that if he hadn't been sunny-side up he would have dropped and I probably could have delivered him without too much trouble.  

I'm worrying (probably unnecessarily) that DS2 is going to be positioned funny, too.  I'm going to ask my OB to keep an eye on his position and head shape, and I'll probably make a decision from there. I'm just freaking myself out a little bit.

Any experiences or suggestions welcome.

Re: ST+M - VBAC/RCS question

• Options
    edited February 2014
    My birth story with DS1 is the same as yours, minus the funny head shape. Lol. I am going to attempt a VBAC mainly because it should be better/easier overall for mom and baby. I understand that if I make it to 41 weeks again with no progress, I may end up with a rcs, but I feel like I owe it to my body to try. Some women don't care one way or another, but I do. I was depressed for a while after my cs, so I want to give it another shot just to say that I did, and will hopefully have my VBAC. In the end though, it is all about the health of baby and mommy. ETA: I also feel that if DS had not been sunny-side up, I could have progressed. I am pretty sure that isn't a situation that is likely to repeat itself, but I guess you never know. Since that is the likely cause of my lack of progress, I feel I am a good candidate for VBAC.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My birth story with DS1 is the same as yours, minus the funny head shape. Lol. I am going to attempt a VBAC mainly because it should be better/easier overall for mom and baby. I understand that if I make it to 41 weeks again with no progress, I may end up with a rcs, but I feel like I owe it to my body to try. Some women don't care one way or another, but I do. I was depressed for a while after my cs, so I want to give it another shot just to say that I did, and will hopefully have my VBAC. In the end though, it is all about the health of baby and mommy. ETA: I also feel that if DS had not been sunny-side up, I could have progressed. I am pretty sure that isn't a situation that is likely to repeat itself, but I guess you never know. Since that is the likely cause of my lack of progress, I feel I am a good candidate for VBAC.
    I'm sorry you went through the same thing, but I'm glad I'm not alone!  I was kinda depressed after my cs, too, and am praying for my VBAC.  I just wonder if I get to a certain point whether or not I'll even feel confident enough for it....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was the same in that I didn't progress beyond 7cm and clock ran out after they broke my waters. I wanted a vbac, give my body the chance to do 'what it's supposed to' because I too was upset with not experiencing a natural birth. so I went with a midwife who was very supportive of vbacs. But unfortunately it didn't work out. But I'd say, if you're considering a vbac, definitely shoot for that. If it doesn't pan out, then have the csection. No harm in trying for the vbac. They'll get that baby out of you one way or another ;)

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• Options
    I'm mobile and can't see sigs to know how far apart your LOs are. DS1 was breech and unflippable, so we had a planned cesarean. My OB wants 18 months between birth to the next pregnancy if you want to attempt a VBAC. Since my uterus ruptured when I was in labor with DD, they don't even want me to go into labor anymore. So I don't know if a VBAC will ever be an option, especially since I will have had 3 c-sections after DS2 is born.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I knew even before I had my first c/s (DS was breech) that I would do anything to avoid another. Right now is baby's head is up too and if it still is by 32 weeks, I'm going to search for someone who will deliver a breech VBAC. I've found some resources on the internet so I know it's not unheard of, but I'm just hoping this baby flips.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    I am doing vbac. Research tge acog guidelines. They cite to a lot of research on vbacs. Overall, vbacs after 1 cs with low transverse scar seem to be no more riskier than a rcs despite what so many uneducated people will tell you.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    My birth story is kinda similar to yours-baby was sunny side up and couldn't get passed my pelvis thus needing a c-section. I'm having a repeat c-section since my OB's office don't do vbacs and there only 2 hospitals in town that will do it, none of which I'm comfortable with. One is a state run hospital where inmates go to get treated and the other had a TB outbreak last year.
  • Options
    We had an emergency c-section at 34 weeks with the twins due to pre-eclampsia complications. I want to have a VBAC because of the reduced recovery time (well, usually it's less recovery time) and, honestly, I felt cheated out of the delivery I had wanted last time. I'd also kind of like the feeling of the unknown, not knowing when the baby's going to come and rushing to the hospital (since I'm forced to have a hospital delivery). 

That being said, being safe is the most important thing and I may or may not be allowed to have my VBAC. Baby is measuring 2-3 weeks ahead and I've been told that, if he gets too big I have to have a RCS. So we'll see how it goes!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had a c/s wih DS as after I was induced in labor for 20+ hrs DS was in distress and lodged in my pelvis. I'm slightly playing this one by ear. We have scheduled a RCS for 5/7 but will have another ultrasound at 34-36 weeks to see how big DD is. As long as she is smaller than 7lbs she will allow me to go into labor and vbac or if I don't go into labor or baby is big (I'm a very petite person) we will do another c/s. I understand that this doesn't really answer your question, but with DS I really wasn't emotionally prepared for a c/s, and was devastated that I couldn't deliver vaginally. This time i know my options my doctor knows what I want and I'm really prepared with a set end "birth date" insight. Good luck!!
  • Options
    For me it was an easy decision. I had an emergency c-section with DS because he was in a odd position and was stuck. But I had wanted a natural birth with him, and did go my whole labor natural until the c-section. So I kinda feel like I got cheated out of the fulfillment of the actual birth. And luckily my midwives are very VBAC friendly and assure me that I am a great candidate for it. 

However I also struggle with my fears that the same thing will happen this time and I'll end up with a RCS. I'm doing several things this time to try and give myself the best shot at a VBAC. I have hired a doula, hopefully if baby is stuck she can help find a position that will give him the extra wiggle room he needs. I am planning on going to a chiropractor to make sure that nothing is out of alignment towards the end. I've heard that if you are out of alignment it can make it more likely the baby will be wonky too. I'm also more active this time, which is just all around good! 
    :)
    Other than that I just have to remind myself that this is a different pregnancy and a different baby. But I'm not gonna lie and say that I'm not freaked out some days. There is a book that I read with my last called "Birthing from Within" and it talked alot about ways to deal with past birth trauma so they don't effect this birth. I plan to re-read that a little closer to the end and hopefully that will help mentally. 
    image    image

• Options
    My too-small pelvic opening decided on RCS for me. It said, "Nope."

My cervix and vagina agreed and said, "Hell no, don't even think about asking us to try that. We like not being torn in half by your pumpkin-headed spawn."

Then my left ovary confirmed my decision by developing an 8cm cyst that won't shrink and has partially calcified and destroyed the surrounding tissue, which will need to be removed when the baby gets here.

My placenta seems to be on board too, staying low till it knows the c-section is a sure thing.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with my body's choice. I was a rabid c-section hater before DS was born, but then I became a convert for life.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    My MFM approved my plan today! Plan is that IF I go into labor on my own before my due date (May 1) I will try for a VBAC. If I haven't gone into labor by my due date, RCS will be May 2. I love this plan because I avoid an induction (my choice, MFM offered that as an option) but I also have an "end date" and some comfort in that. I am hoping to have a VBAC but if my body doesn't go into labor I'll be okay with the RCS.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    I had a similar situation with my first. 41 weeks, induction, and then didn't get past 5cm. They had to back off the Pitocin because DS was showing distress every time I had a good contraction. Turned out the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck three times. 

My OB gave me the choice of VBAC or repeat CS with my second, and I opted for the repeat CS. I did so because I was afraid of trying to labor on my own and ending up with a CS anyway. I had heard from so many people that the recovery was much easier after a planned CS than an emergency one. (That did turn out to be true for me too.)  There were several other factors as well.

Looking back though, part of me wishes I had tried for the VBAC. Now with my third I am not being given the option.  Overall though I am just glad my babies arrived safely and my second recovery was very easy. Hoping this one will be the same!

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    cnbean said:
    For me it was an easy decision. I had an emergency c-section with DS because he was in a odd position and was stuck. But I had wanted a natural birth with him, and did go my whole labor natural until the c-section. So I kinda feel like I got cheated out of the fulfillment of the actual birth. And luckily my midwives are very VBAC friendly and assure me that I am a great candidate for it. 

However I also struggle with my fears that the same thing will happen this time and I'll end up with a RCS. I'm doing several things this time to try and give myself the best shot at a VBAC. I have hired a doula, hopefully if baby is stuck she can help find a position that will give him the extra wiggle room he needs. I am planning on going to a chiropractor to make sure that nothing is out of alignment towards the end. I've heard that if you are out of alignment it can make it more likely the baby will be wonky too. I'm also more active this time, which is just all around good! 
    :)
    Other than that I just have to remind myself that this is a different pregnancy and a different baby. But I'm not gonna lie and say that I'm not freaked out some days.
    This!  I was very upset that I to have a c/s and it has never been a choice for me to NOT try for a VBAC.  I am part of an awesome FB group called VBAC facts community.  The FB group is great for inspiring stories and advise.  The website is www.vbacfacts.com and has lots of good research on VBACS.  https://evidencebasedbirth.com/ is also another good site to go to for answers. 
    A word about positioning:  From what I've been reading babies can be OP before labor and then get into a better position as you labor.  I'm reading this article right now and its very interesting: https://midwifethinking.com/2010/08/13/in-celebration-of-the-op-baby/

www.spinningbabies.com also has some good tips and exercises for trying to get baby into an optimal position.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had a c/s with DD at exactly 40wks. I was admitted to L&D when I was 4cm, they broke my water around 5 or 6cm and I progressed nicely to 7.5cm with no drugs and only minor discomfort. But DD wasn't dropping at all and after 5 hrs of no progress, they convinced me to try pitocin and a low-dose epi. That made things worse and I lost half a cm. We went to c/s after 6+hrs of no progress.

DD was sunny-side up and my OB said I have a very prominent tail bone (i.e.- not a lot of space front-to-back for baby to pass through). She says I am not a great candidate for a VBAC but is going to let me try. Though, she did say I have to continue to make progress every two hours in order to continue laboring.

I really want a VBAC but am scheduling a RCS for around my due date as a back up plan. Hoping this one will keep her face down and make her way through!
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    I was induced at 40w last time for mild pre-e and hypertension.   I went 40 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing with the nurses trying to rotate her with no success, and got a c-section at that time.  

I'm going for a VBAC this time.  My OB's requirement is just that I go into labor on my own, and will allow me to go 7-10 days past my due date as long as my BP stays in check and I don't develop pre-E again.  

I've been reading some books, working on relaxation techniques and I start prenatal yoga this week and the class is heavily focused on natural births.  While I'm still open to an Epi, I realize my chances of successful VBAC are greater med-free so my goal is to educate myself and prepare for a med-free birth while still keeping my options open.  (Last time I made it to 2cm in 24 hours, got an epi, and made it to 7cm 1 hour later).  
    BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    I had a failure to descend, sunny side up, turned into c-section experience too. While laboring my epidural didn't work on my left side at all and I was in a lot of pain. To me I'm pretty comfortable choosing a repeat c-section. I like the idea of having some control over the experience. I've also known a lot of friends who had vaginal births that weren't easy (4th degree tears, one with a broken pelvis). My recovery with my c-section wasn't too bad and I'm hoping it will be similar this time around.
  • Options
    I am still debating between a VBAC and scheduled c section. I had hypertension and pre e so I was induced with DS. His heart rate kept going down so they kept taking me off of the pitoson. I ended up with an emergency c section. I really want to avoid another emergency c section. It is a hard decision. I don't really care as long as the baby and I are healthy at the end.
    I have a friend who had a VBAC with her second DD. She actually experienced more pain for longer with the VBAC than she did with her c section. I think everyone woman is different and every delivery different. You just need to make the decision that you feel best about.
  • Options
    DS flipped breech at 39 weeks (thanks kid) so I had a c/s. I never got to experience labor and that is something I would like to try. I also would like to avoid surgery if possible. I talked with the OB about it and he feels that I am a good VBAC candidate so I am going to try but he doesn't want me going too late before doing a RCS. We'll monitor my progress and around 38 weeks we'll decide whether to schedule a RCS or if I will go into labor on my own. It's all up in the air right now.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"