July 2014 Moms

Extreme itching

I'm talking - woke me up in the middle of the night and had strange 6-year-old chicken pox flashbacks. It has been going on for about a week and a half now. It is always strange spots and nothing to do with stretching belly. I have cuts now on my thigh from nighttime itching. I can only imagine what I look like while I am sleeping. Is anyone else having this problem. I've asked my mommy friends about it and the response I get from them seems to be "well, thats a new one". Please tell me I'm not alone and that by the time baby arrives I will still have an epidermis. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Extreme itching

• Is it dry skin or eczema? I was getting EXTREMELY itchy during first trimester, especially on my sides and the side of my boobs. They grew a lot in a short amount of time so that might have contributed to it, but my skin was always red and it would keep me up at night scratching. I started using a lotion with colloidal oatmeal in it and it's been amazing. My skin has just in general been really dry since I've been pregnant, and the horrible winter we're having doesn't help. If it's overall itching and not related to dry skin or anything maybe mention it to your OB or MW and see if they have any input.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had horrible itching with DS's pregnancy. It never got any better for me but the advice I was given was to hydrate and use lotion. Maybe you will have better success.

• Loading the player...
  • I've been like that too. I'm pretty sure it's dry skin from the excessively dry air here and the hormones are making seem ten times worse.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Same here. I'm sure that it is a combination of how horribly dry it is in our house, plus the stretching skin. What I have found that helps is drink lots and lots of water and slather on the lotion. Thick. I've been using Aveeno and it seems to be helping. But seriously, I think drinking more water has helped the most.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Try adding a humidifier to your room, and lotion, lotion, lotion. I have ezcema and it has been brutal while pregnant. I also have some serious itchiness and pain from the shingles and my doc told me to take Benadryl, which might help.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• I second the benadryl! It helps the itching AND helps you sleep.

imageimageimage
  • I am having this too, it is probably all the hormonal changes. I slather in coconut oil and it seems to help.
    BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I would call your OB's office about it. It's probably just winter dryness, but it could also be cholestasis of pregnancy.
  • I'm tearing up my shins and stomach every other night. They both have scratch marks with scabs. I've used cocoa butter and coconut oil. Nothing is helping me!

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I have to sleep with gloves on or I wake up bloody. I have tried everything : cool oatmeal baths, oatmeal body wash, cerave, humidifier, benydryl, prescription anti itch from my OB and so on. Nothing has worked so far. Sometimes I just scratch and cry because nothing helps. It gets much worse at night.
  • My calves itch like you wouldn't believe!
    I scratch them and nearly have a orgasm. I think I've been drinking plenty of water, but it has been unusually cold this winter. I will mention it to my doc at the next appt
    and see what he says.
    Not much help, but I feel your pain.
  • I'm crazy itchy all over, and I was blaming it on my SO buying fabric softener (I can only use Tide Free detergent or I break out in hives) but now I'm wondering if it's baby related.  I'm tearing up skin all over my body and I plan to mention it to the doc tomorrow.  I'm lotioning up and my skin doesn't seem overly dry, but it's all over my body and VERY sharp itchy feelings that are incredibly sudden and uncomfortable.  It's waking me up too.  So far, only Benadryl has taken the edge off for me- maybe try that?  I hope it gets better for all of us! 
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it's really bad, call your OB.  It could be PUPPP.
    DSC_1342
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I feel bad that I am not alone, but thankful for all the suggestions! I have a general apt today so I will mention it. I've been doing lotion, body oil and coconut oil. A few nights I've taken benydryl to get to sleep/stop the itch but I feel a little uncomfortable taking it everyday - and can't take it during the day because it will put me to sleep. Hope it isn't PUPPP or cholestasis like some of you have mentioned. To all my other itchy mommas, GOOD LUCK. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I never had this type of itching you're describing, but in my past pregnancies, my belly became SO itchy (from skin stretching) that all I wanted to do was claw at it all the time! No matter how moisturized I kept it, it still itched. I found the medicated gold bond lotion to be the only relief. It was a cooling sensation too, which always felt good.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had the same thing, but I found the gold bond lotions have helped to keep it under control.
  • Yes! I am so itchy all over.

I have been using oil after the shower, and lotioning up well. I have DH do my whole back before I go to bed.

We also sleep with a humidifier.

I am going to mention it to my OB on Wednesday just in case it is something else.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have eczema and pregnancy is definitely exacerbating it so I feel your pain!

The best lotion I've found so far is Dermasil and I've only seen it at the Dollar Store (bonus that its only $1!) I put it on throughout the day to keep hydrated. I also find when I just cant resist scratching and its getting really bad, putting a cool compress on the area helps take away the itchy, burning feeling
                                                      Pregnancy Ticker
                                                                Zero tv photo image.jpg  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"