May 2014 Moms
Options

Bittersweet Story in the News

https://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/man-fundraises-keep-brain-dead-pregnant-wife-life-174356137--abc-news-health.html

A Canadian mother is on life support until she gives birth to her child (due in May). Daddy is raising money to help.

I hope none of you have to go through this, but I'm glad it is an option, if the worst should happen.

Re: Bittersweet Story in the News

• Options
    That's heartbreaking. :( Hope their LO makes it into this world safe and sound.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    That is so sad. I'm glad to see the Munoz case got resolved though. I think that one was even sadder.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lica001 said:
    That is so sad. I'm glad to see the Munoz case got resolved though. I think that one was even sadder.
    The Munoz case pissed me off to no end and I'm glad that judge finally brought it to a close. I'm still skeeved out by the idea of trying to incubate a fetus in a dead body, even if this woman was 8 weeks further along than Natalie was.

• Options
    Shell+BellShell+Bell member
    edited February 2014
    Oh it's so sad. It's been on our news a lot lately this is in my neck of the woods. They are doing a Csection at the end of this month, and that's when they will pull the plug on the mom. :( so so sad.

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• Options

Oh it's so sad. It's been on our news a lot lately this is in my neck of the woods. They are doing a Csection at the end of this month, and that's when they will pull the plug on the mom. :( so so sad.

They are only letting him stay in there until 30 weeks?

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    Read about this last night. So sad.
    Told MH that Id like for him to do the same if it came to something like this.
  • Options
    He's inside a dead and decaying body. It's not like she's in a coma.

• Options
    Tnpeach said:
    I hope none of you have to go through this, but I'm glad it is an option, if the worst should happen.
    I bolded the word that unfortunately seems to be open to interpretation.  See Munoz. 

I'm glad the family's wishes are being respected.  That's what matters.

Oh and in case I haven't mentioned it before... get your freaking powers of attorney and advance directives in place soon ladies (if you don't already have them).  Really.
    DH and I have been talking about this and we need to get it done.  I was just perusing the TexasLivingWill.org website where you can do it yourself for free (I'm sure there is something like that for every state) and I came across this wording ...

"I understand that under Texas law this directive has no effect if I have been diagnosed as pregnant. This directive will remain in effect until I revoke it. No other person may do so."

I believe with the Munoz case, she had discussed her wishes repeatedly with many people, but I thought the whole thing was because she didn't have a living will.  Turns out, it doesn't matter.  The whole debate would have been the same whether or not she did.  It is more of a case of she was not a patient because she was no longer living, and that is why the judge finally ruled in the family's favor. 

Just found it interesting that even if you have a directive in place, if you are pregnant, it does not matter and life sustaining efforts will be mandatory.

Your body, as a woman, doesn't belong to you here. Duh. Even if you're dead.

• Options

The news had said they are doing a csec at end of feb at 34 weeks, but I'm thinking now perhaps they meant end of March. But that article says they are delivering in May? Seems all the sources are a bit messy. Also they were at $56,000 last I had heard, now they are over $130,000?! That's amazing. Does not replace the mom of course, but it will definitely help dad out while he tries to cope with the loss of his wife, and take care of a newborn. So tragic.

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• Options
    Oh my gosh, this is so heartbreaking.  The Munoz case was also heartbreaking, but also in a different way.  These poor families - I feel terrible they have to go through this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"