May 2014 Moms

CD mommas- come in!

What's your NB stash look like?? How many prefolds, covers, AIO's do you have?
I'm still getting the hang of the different types and styles.
I want to prepare myself for e/o day washing so I have about 15 AIO's on order and then plan on purchasing about 24 prefolds and 6-7 covers, and about 7-8 velcro pockets. Any other suggestions? Too much?? Too little??

Re: CD mommas- come in!

• I think I have 30 or 35 (I'd have to count, my memory sucks) prefolds, 2 snappis, and 6 thirsties duo covers. That's it. That got me through EOD with DS who was incredibly picky about being dry.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• So long story short that will be more that enough and you may actually be able to do every 3rd day instead.

Anniversary 

• Loading the player...
  • I am aiming for 12 pre folds, 10 fitted, and 10ish covers for the newborn stash in the hopes of every other day washing. If we bump anything up it'd be another 12 pre folds. We have a couple of AIOs in one-size but we are aiming to do all pre folds or fitteds with covers for our one size stash. 
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • FTM here looking to try CD-ing, and i'm not familiar with all the acronyms in this thread. would it be annoying to share a basic list of must-haves when it comes to CDing? so far,  MIL has give us this https://smile.amazon.com/All-In-One-Washable-Reusable-Adjustable-Diapers/dp/B00DBTNGFI/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1YT7BBV8QGU3N&coliid=IT9DYA5MNPY07, but i'm lost as to how much? what else? etc. (wipes, obviously).

thanks for indulging me - i hope to be as prepared as you ladies.

ThereBeDragons "Dume spiro, spero. Motto of St. Andrews (and SC) - love this!
  • hhegyesi said:
    FTM here looking to try CD-ing, and i'm not familiar with all the acronyms in this thread. would it be annoying to share a basic list of must-haves when it comes to CDing? so far,  MIL has give us this https://smile.amazon.com/All-In-One-Washable-Reusable-Adjustable-Diapers/dp/B00DBTNGFI/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1YT7BBV8QGU3N&coliid=IT9DYA5MNPY07, but i'm lost as to how much? what else? etc. (wipes, obviously).

UPDATE: Dr. Google and the CD board show so many conflicting opinions - I'm still trying to figure out the general consensus. Not avoiding the responsibility of googling stuff for myself. ;-)
  • That sounds about perfect, with a little wiggle room for when to wash on the second day! I found it absolutely necessary to have 36-38 changes early on in order to make it to every other day.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm a FTM planning to CD right away. My newborn stash is mostly complete, I have a few thing on my CD registry that if I don't get at a Shower I will buy myself.

I have:
    24 newborn size GMD prefolds (bought used for a steal)
    10 cotton-flannel flats
    3 Dappi pinless fitted (they have velcro for daddy-use)
    3 Geffen Baby newborn size closure-less fitteds (basically GMD workhorses but actually available in Canada)
    6 Imagine birdseye flats (on my registry)

Covers:
    1 Rumparooz newborn cover
    2 Sweetpea newborn size covers (on my registry)
    2 Thirsties Duo wraps - size 1 (on my registry)
    1 Bummis Super Brite Wrap  - newborn size (on my registry)

I really still just need to get the covers, I have 40 changes so far with the pre-folds and fitteds I have, but I do plan on getting the birdseye flats if I don't receive them as a gift, and of course I will buy all the covers I need (I want to have 6). After buying the covers I need my stash will have cost about $120 for newborn stage.

This is just my newborn stash, my one-size/bigger stash is still in the works.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Mapleme said:
    The general recommendation is to have 36 NB changes and 24 OS (one size) changes. Also, you never know what you an your baby will like, so you should build a varied stash. That way you can sell off what you don't like and buy more of what you do. And a varied stash helps tremendously with troubleshooting if problems arise. @hhegyesi you are going to get A LOT of varying opinions about what is "best" because the "best" option for one person will be dependent on their baby's shape/size, their washer type, their water type, as well as just general preferences. But many folks recommend a NB stash of prefolds or fitteds plus covers because of the ease of washing and fitteds ability to hold in runny NB poo. And that style of stash tends to be less expensive than AIO (all in ones) or pockets. And prefolds are usable long after the NB stage as inserts/doublers/burp cloths. I got some of those, but I also got some Kawaii P&N because they are a pocket (easier for non-CDers to use) and because the last longer than the NB stage (about 22 lbs). A lot of folks post "rate my stash" type posts on the CD board, which are really helpful and judging what you need.
    Agree! I love GMD (Green Mountain Diapers) workhorses (fitted diaper) and GMD prefolds with covers for NB.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • MaplemeRachelCA29

thank you so much. this is extremely helpful! it appears I have quite a bit of shopping left to do.
  • edited February 2014
    hhegyesi said:
    FTM here looking to try CD-ing, and i'm not familiar with all the acronyms in this thread. would it be annoying to share a basic list of must-haves when it comes to CDing? so far,  MIL has give us this https://smile.amazon.com/All-In-One-Washable-Reusable-Adjustable-Diapers/dp/B00DBTNGFI/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1YT7BBV8QGU3N&coliid=IT9DYA5MNPY07, but i'm lost as to how much? what else? etc. (wipes, obviously).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6SMebcX8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgVo6SMebcX8

I'd give this YouTube series a watch and once you're done, go to a shop that sells cloth diapers in person to see how everything feels. DH and I bought an AIO, a pack of prefolds, and three different kinds of covers (two styles of snaps and a Velcro) and took them home to try them out. Stuffed bear was our closest to baby- but it made it clear that one style of snaps really didn't suit, and that while we liked Velcro best- it wasn't as flexible for sizing as the second snap style. So we are doing snaps in the one size covers and a combo of snaps and Velcro in newborn size. 

I'd love to try fitteds for all sizes but its just an added expense and DH and I both handle folding the pre folds just fine. I did register for a stack of newborn fitteds since that's the timeframe I expect family to be helping out with diaper changes and they're easier than teaching everyone to fold.

And RE: Dum Spiro, Spero

I'm told a lot of people who experience loss and infertility find some touchstone to lean on when the going gets rough. An inspirational phrase, song, or just a mantra to keep them going. Mine is that. So long as I breathe, I hope. It's kept me going through two losses and years of fertility treatments. I had it engraved on a bracelet I wear every day to remind me to keep breathing- and to keep hoping that everything will work out.
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • I have 20 Fitteds
    1 dozen NBprefolds
    1 dozen Sm prefolds
    13 covers
    13 AIOs

I have more than one actually needs.  I would aim for 36 changes and you should be good. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • hhegyesi said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6SMebcX8&amp;desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgVo6SMebcX8

I'd give this YouTube series a watch and once you're done, go to a shop that sells cloth diapers in person to see how everything feels. DH and I bought an AIO, a pack of prefolds, and three different kinds of covers (two styles of snaps and a Velcro) and took them home to try them out. Stuffed bear was our closest to baby- but it made it clear that one style of snaps really didn't suit, and that while we liked Velcro best- it wasn't as flexible for sizing as the second snap style. So we are doing snaps in the one size covers and a combo of snaps and Velcro in newborn size. 

I'd love to try fitteds for all sizes but its just an added expense and DH and I both handle folding the pre folds just fine. I did register for a stack of newborn fitteds since that's the timeframe I expect family to be helping out with diaper changes and they're easier than teaching everyone to fold.

And RE: Dum Spiro, Spero

I'm told a lot of people who experience loss and infertility find some touchstone to lean on when the going gets rough. An inspirational phrase, song, or just a mantra to keep them going. Mine is that. So long as I breathe, I hope. It's kept me going through two losses and years of fertility treatments. I had it engraved on a bracelet I wear every day to remind me to keep breathing- and to keep hoping that everything will work out.
    excellent suggestion with the youtube video! i will get on that right away. also, i really like the idea of testing things out on a doll or stuffed animal. i was worried about learning to be proficient at all the fastenings, so practice options are fantastic!

RE: Dum Spiro, Spero

what a beautiful mantra to lean on for hope and reassurance. not sure how you feel about body ink, but this would be a lovely tattoo to honor your past and inspire your future. (((big hugs to you!)))

• spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited February 2014
    I'm an FTM so this is a work in progress, but here's the planned stash so far:

Bummis Infant starter kit that includes
    - 24 infant sized prefolds
    - 6 waterproof covers
    - a roll of flushable liners
    - large wetbag

In addition that, we'll start with a 2 pack of Snappis.

We're going to supplement that with at least 6 more covers, but in different styles. I'd like to include a few pocket-style in the mix because the prefolds can be used as inserts for them. I'd like to try a couple of fitteds and we'll have a couple of AIOs as well to make life easier when going out or for the grandparents.

We're thinking that the covers we get to supplement the starter kit will be one-size so that when it's time to go up to the baby size, we'll already have made a dent in that stash and hopefully the variety will have given us an idea of which style we want to stick with.

For those of you starting out with the research, the Cloth Diapering 101 series that's been recommended here in the past is a really, really good place to start! It all seemed intimidating/overwhelming at first but when you see the different types demonstrated and explained in the videos, it becomes way more manageable.
  • hhegyesi said:

ThereBeDragons "Dume spiro, spero. Motto of St.
    Andrews (and SC) - love this!
    Go on YouTube and watch Cloth Diapering 101. The videos are so, so helpful and will only take you about an hour.
    You will still need a NB stash. The OS diapers won't fit a NB properly- even if he/she is a 10lb baby.

• Ok, so I'm thinking that what I have/will have is going to be plenty.
    I think my fear is having 40 diapers and only liking 10 and kind of feeling 'stuck'.  But the advise here was very helpful, thank you!

Just curious-
    Do you prefer OS diapers for when LO is bigger?
  • Jillzy86Jillzy86 member
    edited February 2014
    OP from what I've read your stash sound like the perfect amount. I think I went over board on registering for Cloth Diapers, but I think the more the merrier and they are so freaking cute. Has anyone tried the gdiapers from Babies R Us they have a newborn bundle and it looks like a good deal with disposable inserts to start out with? Edit because I can't spell
  • Jillzy86 said:
    OP from what I've read your stash sound like the perfect amount. I think I went over board on registering for Cloth Diapers, but I think the more the merrier and they are so freaked cute. Has anyone tried the gdiapers from Babies R Us they have a newborn bundle and it looks like a good deal with disposable inserts to start out with?
    @jillzy86- I have seen the gdiapers at BRU but I'll be honest.. I feel like I've seen the price cut in half from buying them used.  It's almost like you're paying a 50% mark up because they're from a big name store.  However, they are SO small and adorable!
  • Jillzy86 said:

OP from what I've read your stash sound like the perfect amount. I think I went over board on registering for Cloth Diapers, but I think the more the merrier and they are so freaking cute. Has anyone tried the gdiapers from Babies R Us they have a newborn bundle and it looks like a good deal with disposable inserts to start out with?

Edit because I can't spell

From what I have found people with love or hate the g diapers. We have been using flips (same concept made by BG) and like them though they seem to be irritating DS's bum all of a sudden so we are switching to pockets. I'm hoping to make them myself.

Anniversary 

• OP from what I've read your stash sound like the perfect amount. I think I went over board on registering for Cloth Diapers, but I think the more the merrier and they are so freaking cute. Has anyone tried the gdiapers from Babies R Us they have a newborn bundle and it looks like a good deal with disposable inserts to start out with? Edit because I can't spell
    From what I have found people with love or hate the g diapers. We have been using flips (same concept made by BG) and like them though they seem to be irritating DS's bum all of a sudden so we are switching to pockets. I'm hoping to make them myself.
    This! I kind of want to try out g-Diapers but they are so love/hate. We have one new mom friend that SWEARS by them. It's all she uses and LOVES them. But a co-worker of mine cloth diapered and I asked him about them and he and his wife HATED gDiapers.

Both people I know used both the cloth washable inserts AND some of the disposable inserts (for travelling, etc.).

In my opinion, for what they are (if you use the cloth inserts) they are kind of expensive. The shells are like $20 each plus the cost of the inserts make them on the high-end. The mom I know that loves them said she would lend us some of her smalls when our little one arrives to try out, but if I could try them for free I wouldn't consider them an option because the start-up cost of gDiapers is a bit high and I have heard such mixed reviews.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • @RachelCA29 that's part of why we chose flips. First of all I could actually play with them in the store before buying. And secondly I picked my covers up BOGO and essentially only paid $7 per cover. I've only used the cloth inserts though.

Anniversary 

• @pistolpackinmomma I just want to try everything! I tried to put a lot of variety on my CD registry and I'll see what I get as gifts from my Showers. I bought most of what I need for my newborn stash and then once the dust has settled from the gifts, etc. I can pick and choose stuff to buy for myself to try out.

I got 10 OS "china cheapies" on Black Friday for a really great price and some odd covers on clearance from a few good brands, so as LO grows I'll have something to keep him in until I decide on a system I love. Right now I've been practicing folding flats and so far I love those! Luckily I have 10, planning to add 6 more at least, so that might be a bulk of my stash for the first 6 months or so!
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I'm a STM new to CD but this is what I'm working with so far:

PF/F:
    6 NB GMD PF (will likely add 6 more of the new bamboo because of course I'll need them ;-)

18S GMD PF

29 S GMD PF that acquired brand new dirt cheap through a local BST- plan to use for some fitted conversions and other DIY projects

6GmD Flats
    6 bamboo flats

Fitted:
    2 NB GMDWH
    3 S GMDWH
    2 SBISH
    1 Thirsties fitted

Pockets:
    8kawaii Pn
    2 kawaii LGBB
    1Kawaii OS
    1 kawaii GNWH
    1 BG 4.0
    1 FB (free from KC)

AIO:
    1 NB BBsiplex AIO
    1 Thirsties AIO

Ai2:
    2 grovia

Covers:
    5 Thirsties duo
    1nb wahm cover
    1 OS wahm cover

Misc:
    I'm also waiting on a boring package with my 2 lg wet bags, snappi and CD cream (will need 2 Med wet bags and to decide on my detergent) also plan on adding a few more OS pocket/AIO
    To the mix for variety

I also have 2 supply orders coming in for some DIY sewing projects (insert/doublers, covers, more CD)

I think the money saving part of CD seems to have escaped me ;-) but hopefully some of my diy will
    Pay off as LO moved to OS.

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• chknma said:

I'm a STM new to CD but this is what I'm working with so far:

PF/F:
    6 NB GMD PF (will likely add 6 more of the new bamboo because of course I'll need them ;-)

18S GMD PF

29 S GMD PF that acquired brand new dirt cheap through a local BST- plan to use for some fitted conversions and other DIY projects

6GmD Flats
    6 bamboo flats

Fitted:
    2 NB GMDWH
    3 S GMDWH
    2 SBISH
    1 Thirsties fitted

Pockets:
    8kawaii Pn
    2 kawaii LGBB
    1Kawaii OS
    1 kawaii GNWH
    1 BG 4.0
    1 FB (free from KC)

AIO:
    1 NB BBsiplex AIO
    1 Thirsties AIO

Ai2:
    2 grovia

Covers:
    5 Thirsties duo
    1nb wahm cover
    1 OS wahm cover

Misc:
    I'm also waiting on a boring package with my 2 lg wet bags, snappi and CD cream (will need 2 Med wet bags and to decide on my detergent) also plan on adding a few more OS pocket/AIO
    To the mix for variety

I also have 2 supply orders coming in for some DIY sewing projects (insert/doublers, covers, more CD)

I think the money saving part of CD seems to have escaped me ;-) but hopefully some of my diy will
    Pay off as LO moved to OS.

What detergent do you use on your regular laundry?

Anniversary 

• I new diy with Castile soap. It is working ok on laundry but wouldn't be Cd safe. We also have harder water so I'm planning to switch our clothes detergent once this batch runs out.

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• chknma said:

I new diy with Castile soap. It is working ok on laundry but wouldn't be Cd safe. We also have harder water so I'm planning to switch our clothes detergent once this batch runs out.
    I've heard a lot of people with hard water (myself included) have had luck with tide powder. It already has some water softeners in it but if you still need a little boost 1tbsp of calgon can help too. Just don't fall for the expensive CD safe "detergents". They aren't really detergents and won't get your diapers all if the way clean. I almost have up CDing before learning the truth.

Anniversary 

• @kitchencolors I also was terrified to bleach and thought I needed a million rinses. If I could do it over I would go back and tell my uninformed self to quit spazzing about diaper laundry because it's just laundry.

Anniversary 

• @kitchencolors I also was terrified to bleach and thought I needed a million rinses. If I could do it over I would go back and tell my uninformed self to quit spazzing about diaper laundry because it's just laundry.
    YES.  Seriously.  It took me a while too to figure that out.  They are dirty pieces of fabric that need to be cleaned with some sort of soap/chemicals and water using a machine... it's really not rocket science.
    I have to wash the used GMD prefolds I bought before I use them. Someone suggested I just bleach them once with "lots of rinses". How many times should I rinse them? I was just planning to put the wash on "extra rinse" mode - so 2 rinses.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:

YES.  Seriously.  It took me a while too to figure that out.  They are dirty pieces of fabric that need to be cleaned with some sort of soap/chemicals and water using a machine... it's really not rocket science.

I have to wash the used GMD prefolds I bought before I use them. Someone suggested I just bleach them once with "lots of rinses". How many times should I rinse them? I was just planning to put the wash on "extra rinse" mode - so 2 rinses.

I would bleach them in a tub (or if you have an old school top loader let it fill, add bleach, stir, then add diapers) full of cold water and 1/4 cup of bleach. Let it soak for 30-60 minutes. Drain. Rinse on hot (hot water breaks down bleach) and wash like a normal wash cycle on hot.

Anniversary 

The way I have preped them in the past is to just throw them in with every whites load I do for a few weeks (and wash the whites with Tide).  Then after that I do a hot wash with an extra rinse with no detergent.  I've always done it this way because doing a bunch of loads of laundry for just a few diapers (I've never gotten a lot at once) always seemed like a waste.  Not sure if it's super by the book, but it's worked fine for me.  The idea is that you want to get the oils out of them, and that they get more absorbent as you wash and dry them more.

Her's are used, so I'm assuming already prepped but just need disinfected. Also, if you get just one or two new ones you can always boil then once and they should be ready to go. Or if you get a couple if used ones at once then just do a bucket of cold water and 1 tbsp of bleach per gallon of water.

Anniversary 

• Thanks @pistolpackinmommaand @kitchencolors

They are prepped already because they are used, so i just want to disinfect them. I had 24 and a top-loading washer.

I'm planning to prep my other new stuff by throwing them in with loads of towels over the coming weeks though, doing them all by themselves seemed wasteful for prepping the non pre-folds I have.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Yeah, if they're used I'd definitely go the bleach route. Better safe than sorry :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My nb stash is mostle kawaiis, the bamboo pockets. We have a few of the non bamboo ones and maybe 5 or 6 bg nbs. And 5 thx aios. I really should go and count to make sure I dont need more!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @pistolpackinmomma- What did you end up paying for your GMD fitteds used?
    GMD direct has them for about $5.50ea.. but everywhere local to me sells them used for about the same..in which case, is it still better to buy new?  
  • Just want to add to the Tide love. We started out using a DIY detergent (washing soda, borax, oxyclean), then used Eco Sprout, and since switching to Tide powder, we cut out 95% of our rash issues and haven't had to strip anything. We also were always worried about yeast because of the persistent rashes and did several rounds of treatment with bleach/grapefruit seed extract that were a PITA and likely unnecessary while using the homemade stuff.
    BFP#1 11-26-10 MMC 1-13-11
    BFP#2 6-8-11 Eleanor Beatrice born 2-15-12
    BFP#3 9-4-13 Benjamin Lee born 4-28-14

• Just want to add to the Tide love. We started out using a DIY detergent (washing soda, borax, oxyclean), then used Eco Sprout, and since switching to Tide powder, we cut out 95% of our rash issues and haven't had to strip anything. We also were always worried about yeast because of the persistent rashes and did several rounds of treatment with bleach/grapefruit seed extract that were a PITA and likely unnecessary while using the homemade stuff.

I hear alot of CD moms use Tide.  Do you prefer the liquid or the powder?

• I am highly allergic to Tide- anyone use All free and clear for their stash?
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • DD had a rash with Tide when she was a newborn... I use Tiny Bubbles now... but it's really hard to find.  Not sure what I will use when I run out.

• My nb stash is:

20 Sweet Pea green edge (newborn)
    6 AIOs (4 GroVia and 2 Lil' Joeys)
    2 Kawaii Pure and Naturals

6-8 covers in various sizes (thirsties and bummis) - nb, size 1, size small

• I am highly allergic to Tide- anyone use All free and clear for their stash?

All is ok. I've not used it personally but as long as it doesn't have and fabric softener you'll be fine. The best thing is to just use whatever you use on your regular laundry. I know lots of mommas that like gain too.

Anniversary 

• @pistolpackinmomma- What did you end up paying for your GMD fitteds used?

GMD direct has them for about $5.50ea.. but everywhere local to me sells them used for about the same..in which case, is it still better to buy new?  
    I didn't use any of those so I'm not sure.

Anniversary 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"