1st Trimester

How do you work while pregnant?

Ladies who go to a job everyday while pregnant, my hat is off to you. How do you do it and not let anyone know you're pregnant? I'm curious how you get the energy to get to your job, and stay there all day and perform your job through the fatigue and sickness. On top of all that, H1N1 is going around. How do you protect you and your baby from getting that virus without letting people know you're pregnant? Or have some of you just told your coworkers the news, that way they give you extra space and slack for you during this difficult time?

Re: How do you work while pregnant?

• I think for me, I guess I just don't have a choice. I need to go, so I take care of myself the best I can and try to work through it. Mine definitely isn't bad yet, but I've been lucky to be in the field these last few weeks where I don't have to deal with anyone's nosiness and I can get plenty of cool air, etc to help with the dizziness. Ask me again in three weeks though! :)

(I may be totally off, but isn't H1N1 covered under this year's flu shot? I could be crazy)

BabyFruit Ticker

• ADHO906: Getting the shot is not a guarantee one won't contract the virus. 
  • IdaniIdani
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    You just do it.  I had horrible MS while pregnant with DS2, I was in and out of the hospital the entire pregnancy.  I work in healthcare I am around sickness and gross things daily.  However I need to work so I do and did. I don't expect special treatment when pregnant.  If I need to take a few moments in the bathroom I did.  If someone noticed I simply stated I didn't feel well or must have ate something.  If I had an appt I simply took time off or said I had an appt. no further details were given.

Little Dude '09 Littlest Dude '12
    keringtonp
  • You just do. I was lucky and never really had morning sickness (I have thrown up all of 4 times during this pregnancy). I threw up once at work, but there was a stomach thing going around so they sent me home because they thought I had that. lol. So, instead of telling anyone why I actually threw-up, I just took the free sick day, because it was literally only that one time :)

My fatigue during the first trimester didn't really hit until the evenings, like after I worked the whole day I would be pretty beat. But I mean, a lot of people get kind of tired by the end of the day, so it's pretty easy to just write it off as a general long, hard day if you don't want to tell everyone.

The woman at my work that keeps track of people's time off had a pretty good idea I was pregnant before I announced, because she knew all my requests for afternoon's off for appointments, etc. during the first trimester. But she is also professional and knows it is no one else's business when I go to the doctor, or what for, so she didn't say anything until after I announced; she just commented "I was started to suspect with all those afternoon's off" kind of thing.

I mean, even if people are starting to get suspicious, in most work environments I've been in people know not to say something until it's official, just out of common courtesy. And even if people did suspect early, unless you have a dick boss it shouldn't really impact your work environment. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    keringtonp
  • It's nice that your hat is off to pregnant women who work but for me, it's really not a big deal...at all. I work to make money and help out my family and I enjoy my job too.

Sure, I'm really tired all day but I just power through. It's also not hard for me to hide it or not tell people. It's still so early into my pregnancy that it doesn't even feel real yet :) It gets harder to be at work towards the end of the pregnancy but I don't have to worry about that for a long time!

DS born 3/10/12 - DD - born 10/7/14!

image image

keringtonp
  • Hahaha. I work in healthcare too and am constantly around desperately sick people and resistant bacteria. I wash my hands and don't lick doorknobs. I think I have a pretty hardy immune system and it's seen a lot of disgusting stuff... So even if it's a little crippled with Squishface now, I have confidence we'll both be okay.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Morganhailey
  • Go to work. 
    Do my job. 
    Wash my hands. 
    Don't make out with sick coworkers. 

Man, I did all that shit and I still got H1N1. Luckily I got my flu shot so mine was relatively mild (but ZOMG I was totally dying for 3).
                                        Tessa: 10/28/10                    Nora 8/30/12                            Reid 8/6/14
    RachelCA29
  • Besides, can't you just...stop floating for a month?
                                        Tessa: 10/28/10                    Nora 8/30/12                            Reid 8/6/14
    WhoCanItBeNowcruelsound
  • I haven't had any trouble working at all. I am tired, but I have a desk job, so I get to sit all day. Also, I got a flu shot and I wash my hands a lot. I have my own office, so my time in close proximity to other people is limited.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 1: 11/10/13; EDD: 7/14/14; M/C: 11/15/13
    BFP 2: 1/9/14; EDD: 9/23/14; Stick baby bean!
    All AL welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • I just went to work.  I woman'd up and did what I had to do to bring home the money my household needed.  We had a norovirus scare at my work when I was pregnant and I just called the nurse line for advice.  They told me if I felt sick to go in..just like I would if I wasn't pregnant.  I stashed snacks, drank a lot of water, and tried not to let anyone see when I dozed off at my desk (kidding...kind of).  Wash your hands and do what you need to do.  

Morganhailey
  • It's not anything different than what I did before I was pregnant. My co-workers know but they didn't stop interacting with me or slacked off. I did get the flu shot and I always washed my hands anyways or sanitized so nothing changed with that. As far as morning sickness mine never hits me until the evening so i guess i'm lucky to not have to be running back and forth to the bathroom constantly. 
    Anderson Jake 8/25/14

keringtonp
  • With my first, I'm not 100% sure I could have made it at my previous job which was always on my feet running to meetings and herding cats and feeling like my day was one long game of whack-a-mole. I was fortunate to be working at home by the time I got pregnant with my first (self employed) and i felt the same way as pp. hats off to you women. However, this pregnancy, I think I'd be ok and in better shape. Everyone is different, has different pregnancy experiences and different jobs. Most important thing is we all do the best we can for our families and our babies!
    Wolkie
  • Go to work, do your job, go home.

They don't pay you to show up and slack off. Yeah it can suck at times but many people suck it up because it's just what you do. My last pregnancy (that I carried to term) I worked in a restaurant on my feet 9 hrs a day. It sucked but I did it because it was my job.
    imageimage
    TBFKA haygurlhay - If ya don't know, then now ya know.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DD1: C-girl wreaking havoc since Oct. 2012
    Loss mom since 2009 - 6 angels waiting us in heaven
    ***Everyone is Welcome***(Except assholes)
    "Feet, what do I need you for, when I have wings to fly?" - Frida Kahlo
  • Thank you for your answers. I was just curious how you ladies handled this situation and you are all doing it so well! I've had a few friends/associates who have worked while pregnant (in the health and education fields) and have had...sad results. To hear you all are doing well is very inspiring to me! :) 
    Wolkie
  • I gave up doing my eye makeup. My outfits are no longer the most well accessorized. I keep saltines at my desk. And I go to bed extra early. It hasn't been fun, but you just do it.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Gigi8212Ivorytower2amberhoothoot
  • Thank you for your answers. I was just curious how you ladies handled this situation and you are all doing it so well! I've had a few friends/associates who have worked while pregnant (in the health and education fields) and have had...sad results. To hear you all are doing well is very inspiring to me! :) 
    I'm confused. Are you attributing "sad results" to working?
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 1: 11/10/13; EDD: 7/14/14; M/C: 11/15/13
    BFP 2: 1/9/14; EDD: 9/23/14; Stick baby bean!
    All AL welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Go to work. 
    Do my job. 
    Wash my hands. 
    Don't make out with sick coworkers. 

I should have added to my reply, GET THE FLU SHOT. It might not be 100% sure at preventing the flu, but it helps prevent constant, distracting worrying about getting the flu.
  • tealowltealowl
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    edited February 4

I just went to work.

I have a desk job and my employer requires us to have flu shots yearly. If I had to puke, I puked in the bathroom or in my garbage can. Worse case, I puke on the floor, but that never happened. I take Unisom and that helped my m/s a ton.

I took my break and lunches and relaxed. I took some PTO and went home early a couple of time when I felt extra shitty.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

marathonmommy82
  • I just do what I have to do! My coworkers knew early, so that was nice, but the judges still don't know, so it's kind of awkward to take multiple pee breaks/ try not to barf during court. It also sucks that my suits don't really fit right but I'm still too small for mat clothes, so I look like I put on a few recently ;)

Also, like ^^^^ said, I keep snacks at my desk and try to get a lot of sleep

It's not sad at all... why would it be sad?

• hcorcoranhcorcoran
    Ancient Membership 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper
    edited February 5
    You just go to work.  For me, I have a responsibility to my family and my students to do my job and do it well.  I don't let other personal things affect my job, so I didn't let this affect it either.  I thought for sure people would realize I was pregnant because of my horrible morning sickness, but no one had a clue.  I held it together at work and would come home and relax the rest of the night.

ETA- I work in education and haven't had any "sad results."  I have a lot of responsibility at work outside of teaching my classes and it has stayed that way through my pregnancy.
    imageimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP #1 7/31/2013- M/C 8/3/2013
    BFP #2 9/18/2013- EDD 5/18/2014