August 2014 Moms

Dealing with eczema?

Just wondering if anyone else on this board is dealing with this. I'm sort of self-diagnosing/Dr. Googling, but it fits ... dry, itchy skin that's worse after I wash my hands or shower, especially in hot water, and itchy materials on my arms make it worse, too. I'm open to suggestions for treating this. Planning to look for some Aveeno oatmeal body wash tomorrow, because I've heard that can help.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dealing with eczema?

• My son has it and we put a tiny amount of coritzone(sp?) And after bath time we use non scented lotion.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My husband has it really bad. Also undiagnosed but we recently found this product called Waxelene and it is amazing. Only four ingredients, organic, and non-gmo. It's a beeswax base so it's similar to the Burt's Bees products. Your can even use it on diaper rash later on. We found it at CVS pharmacy but they have a website that trips their other store too.
    TTC since 11/1/12
    BFP 1/2/13
    Ultrasound showed no heartbeat 2/14/13
    BFP 12/7/13
    EDD 8/18/14
    1st Beta 89, 2nd Beta 214
    Stick Baby Stick!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Cortizone is category C.  My dermatologist told me it's ok during pregnancy in small amounts.  I asked if he would advise his wife to use it and he said no.

I have horrible eczema on my face.  It's gotten worse with pregnancy, but it's been there a while.  None of my prescriptions can be used because they're all category C.  I am using Vaseline (petroleum jelly) and it's helping. 

I've used Cera-Ve and it made my eczema worse, not when I was pregnant.  A woman I work with has eczema too and swears by it.  When I was a kid, my mom used Aveeno oatmeal products on my skin and it helped, but as an adult it makes it more inflamed.

Don't use scented lotions or soaps.  I'd even consider switching to scent free laundry detergent.  Dove soap I find keeps the most moisture in my skin.  Lubriderm has a good sensitive skin body lotion.  Currently, what works best for my skin is Neutrogena unscented Daily Moisture Wrap.  Be sure to moisturize right after your shower.
  • I have a rare form of psoriasis, and when it's flaring up I usually just use vaseline or coconut oil. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it's really bad- talk to your OB. 

I had a really bad outbreak 2 weeks ago. So I called my doc just in case. He said the low dose topical corticosteroids are fine as long as application is minimal. He also warned that it may or may not cross the placenta at this point but if you are risking a skin infection… you weigh your options.

I avoided for another few days but it spread to covering the entire area under my knee and was both starting to crack and burn. I caved. All it took was one very thin application for relief and it started healing, finally.

• Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I picked up some Aveeno bath wash today and have been more mindful not to wash my hands as often and to use cold water when I do. It's really the worst on my hands. I also tracked down some unscented lotion I already had around the house. I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday, so I'm planning to mention it to her then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"