January 2014 Moms
Options

Bilibed Help

So William was a little jaundice last night and today, just barely enough to be a problem. They decided to let us go and gave us a little portable bilibed. He's supposed to be on it all night and go get tested again tomorrow. 
Well, he hates it. With a passion. He has barely stopped screaming all night. This might have more to do with the fact that he always wants to be held and doesn't like the bassinet, My problem is the little light pad. He's supposed to lay on it with nothing but a little light cover between the light pad and his skin. It's really hot, and makes his uncomfortable. When I pick him up to feed him his back is red and hot. Do you think it would be okay to put a thin muslin blanket between them too? It's very thin, but keeps his back from burning. And his levels were just barely off anyway. 
I'm gonna end up holding him and this thing all night, I'm just trying to make it more bearable. Thoughts? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
imageimage

Re: Bilibed Help

• Options
    casholmescasholmes member
    edited January 2014
    AmyG* said:
    Call dr or hospital and ask
    I...am honestly sitting here wondering why I didn't just think to do that. Getting too reliant on Dr. Google I think. Will do,
    imageimage
  • Options
    No it will not be effective. I work in l and d and it needs to be against the skin to be effective. If u have a tshirt put it under the shirt so it hold in place then you can swaddle him in a small blanket with the light in place to calm him down. Make sure u keep using the light and don't take it off much. If the levels go up too high he would need to be admitted for the actual lights at the hospital. Better to be treated at home than the hospital.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah it shouldn't be hot and no you can't put something between him and it that would defeat the purpose. I don't know what to tell you about him not liking it, most babies love the bili bed from my experience . but it definitely shouldn't be hot.

• Options
    I would call, those beds can be warm to the touch, but shouldn't be hot.  I haven't had to use onefor my babies, but my nephews did need them and they were just warm, like the temperature of water you would bathe them in at that age. 
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They said I could use a blanket.
    I'm just going crazy over here. He's barely stopped screaming for more than 5 minutes all night. He won't latch on to my nipples anymore. I finally pumped but I've only managed to get an ounce, and I pumped too hard and now my nipples are swollen and sore. We finally managed to get him to stop screaming with a swaddle me, but it's only day one at home so DH and I are pretty discouraged since it took so long to calm him. 

I'm sure it'll get better from here, I'm just upset and being driven a little crazy. And I keep crying so I guess my hormones are out of whack too.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Take him off of it. It is NOT supposed to be hot! We had the same problem. Nate sweat through all the light blankets and it was pooled underneath him. He was screaming bloody murder. I knew it wasn't supposed to be hot and called the hospital. Turns out the bed was malfunctioning. I pulled him off and just fed nursed around the clock instead. His bili levels dropped without the bed.

imageimage

• Options
    My son was on biliblanket. I don't remember it being hot to the touch. It should be a little warm, yes, but not hot. I echo PP's suggestion, call for a replacement!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"