December 2012 Moms
Options

Okay home ear infection remedies. Lets here em. Please???

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Okay home ear infection remedies. Lets here em. Please???

• Options
    Personally I don't do antibiotic for ear infections.  80% of the time ear infections are viral so your only suppressing your immune system in the dead of winter/flu season doing unnecessary antibiotics.  Now off the soap box, I've used coconut oil or you can make your own garlic oil.  Both have been effective.  We always having coconut oil (obviously pharmacy grade)- its helpful for diaper rash, cuts (I use instead of neosporin), pink eye, any rash, the list goes on and on.  But for the garlic oil you just need a strainer and garlic cloves- google will give you simple instructions on how to do it.  Best of luck!
  • Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've used coconut oil for pink eye and when we do I use an infant dropper into the eye.  Putting it into the ears would be no different then some of the ear drops doctors give.  Obviously since you have coconut oil, you know that just putting coconut oil in a small container and holding it tight will cause it to start to melt.  I usually do that or I dip the small container into bowl of warm water.  I never microwave it because I don't want burning.  I also use coconut oil for cough suppressant and sore throats (just take a spoonful and down the hatch). 
  • Options
    JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited January 2014
    Here are articles/bloggs that were sent to me when I asked a friend about this topic

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/action-hero-moms-treat-ear-infections-naturally/

https://www.mommypotamus.com/natural-remedies-for-ear-infections/

We were prescribed numbing drops for flying when DD had an ear infection during Christmas. See my reply to your other post for additional details on the many medications we were given. She didn't have problems on the plane but I'm not sure if it is because of the drops or not. Not sure if I mentioned this in my other post but the ENT that we saw said there isn't really anything else we can do to prevent/cure ear infections when there is an underlying cold and drainage still there. I don't necessarily believe there is noting we can do, but "other than taking her our of daycare" he didn't give us anything. When we asked our Pedi about natural remedies she generally told us she was not against them but she did not recommend a particular remedy.

We bought the hylands ear drops from whole foods and plan to try them next time she is having obvious ear symptoms. I actually put them in my ear just to see what it feels like. I don't have an ear infection so I don't know if it works, but it made me feel a little better knowing that it didn't make my ears burn or hurt or anything.

Let us know what you end up trying and if it works.

ETA - I said this in my other post but can you take her in to have her ears checked again? That way they can tell you if it has gotten better or worse.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
  • Options
    I get chronic ear infections as an adult. What works for me is a special ear oil (it's garlic oil and a couple other things) and hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide gets rid off all the gunk that causes pressure. I love it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"