April 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone ever make their own baby food?

I know it saves a good amount of money so I decided to try it out now before baby comes to see if I like it. It's so easy! My best friend also got me the Infantino squeeze station so I made some berry applesauce and put it in a reusable squeeze bottle. So not only am I going to save money on baby food, but on those buddy fruit and go go squeeze fruit packs that I am addicted to!

Re: Anyone ever make their own baby food?

• Options
    We have always just thrown whatever we're eating into a food processor and called it baby food. I'll save some extra in an ice cube tray in the freezer for fast food and occasionally make a batch of something, but otherwise I don't see the need for jar food.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes we did this. I'm super lazy, and even I didn't find this to be very burdensome to do. The other thing I liked was how I was able to make purees that are really full of vitamins but aren't that easy to find in the store like beets and kale. I mean...truly I don't eat kale very much myself, but my baby did and he really liked it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options
    I haven't done it but I plan to. I already have a food processor and a NutiBullet, and you can use regular ice cube trays. No need to pay more and clutter up the kitchen with special baby food blenders and ice trays. That Baby Bullet is super cute, but I don't need it.
  • Options
    Yes I did but nothing fancy. I used our blender and ice cube trays as well. I would do veggies and fruits in the beginning and only enough for a week. Then I would simply blend our meals. She still eats homemade applesauce but mainly because if you find it here it costs $4 for a small jar and that's expensive in comparison to salaries here.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DH made DD's baby food.  Like many of the others, we would make large batches using a food processor and freeze them in ice cube trays.  Once frozen, we'd pop them into a big freezer bag with the date and food name on it.  We did buy some sets of containers to put food in.  We'd thaw it out and use those for travel. 

• Options
    I plan to use our ninja blender to make baby food. We use it so much anyways, I can't imagine it being any different than making a smoothie. I guess I could add breast milk instead of almond milk ;P 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Options
    mwakelinmwakelin member
    edited January 2014
    Yes super easy and totally worth it. I would just take I day and make a big batch. We froze them in ice cube trays then stored them in ziplock bags.
  • Options
    I made all of Skippy's baby food, and I will make all of Gordon's baby food, too. It saves a lot of money, and it's so much fun!!  :)

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Options
    I found the baby bullet for a great deal a few years ago but my mom has always just used a grinder for fresh food. I definitely dont plan on buying any baby food. They had the infantino on clearance at target but I didnt buy it because I had never seen it before and
    Didnt know how it worked. I think I might have to buy it later on though those fruit squeezes are so popular my nephews live them. Im excited for feeding solids!
  • Options
    I made all of DD's baby food and loved it (and I hate cooking). It's not only cheaper but also healthier. I must say at 3 years of age she doesn't eat any chocolate or candy (she licked a piece of chocolate and didn't want it). She loves fruits and vegetables.
    I used a baby bullet but got rid of it so I will be using a ninja this time around.
    As MamaFantastic said www.wholesomebabyfood.com is an awesome website full of resources!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I made most of DD's baby food and loved doing it. I do still buy the Gogo pouches because they don't need to be refrigerated, so it's nice to just keep 2-3 in my diaper bag at all times for emergency melt downs.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"