Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Homemade baby food

I would like to make my own baby food when the time comes so looking into buying a food processor. Any specific one you recommend? I was thinking of Cuisinart. And what size is good 7 cup? Im assuming the 4 cup ones would be too small? What do you use?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
image image image. image

Re: Homemade baby food

• Options
    One baked and then pureed sweet potato usually yields for me 6-8 tablespoons which your standard 4 cup Cuisinart is more than adequate to handle.  You don't want to make too much baby food at once because in the beginning (at least this has been my experience) your baby will probably play with the food more than eating it.  I've had this one for six years and it's been awesome in the kitchen, even for chopping up things before baby man came into our life.
  • Options

Ditto about making too much in the beginning. It will take your baby forever to make it through even one sweet potato.

That said, we just used a Magic Bullet for our younger two, when they were this age. By the time they were eating larger amounts, they were moving on to soft pieces.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I make in big batches and freeze in ice cube trays. I don't have the time to make to order.

I have a 10cup cuisinart, but a blender, food mill or immersion blender will all work. I've even used a pastry blender before. Lots of options.

• Options
    I second the immersion blender suggestion. I have a Cusinart, but don't use it due to the time it takes to clean up, etc. 

If you use an immersion blender all you have to do is blend it in the pot while it is still on the stove. You can get a better control of consistency that way too. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm looking into a food processor as well. For now, I either mash or grate them and then freeze in a tray. Once I get more types of foods in baby's rotation then I will be able to determine what I need from a food processor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Rice Powder with 1 cup water.  Boil for 10 minutes. You can also add fruits or breast milk to it.

• Options
    I just bought the Beaba Babycook. Ive only used it once so far but i like it.
  • Options

I am also staring to look for a processor/blender. I never thought of an immersion blender! that is a good idea. thanks ladies. I was also thinking about a baby bullet. Has anyone tried those?

• Options
    Yup! I use the baby bullet and love it. 

I like that it comes with two different cup sizes so i can  make really small batches. It also has a grinder so i can use that for rice and other grains. 

I plan to use it after i'm done making baby food for general cooking... it's the perfect size for a bunch of things and a good price! 

The little cups are also pretty cute! (nice perk!)

I like the silicon tray for the freezer too because the "cubes" fit the little cups perfectly, but the top never stays on it so i have to put it in a freezer bag (just a tip if you get it).
    Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
    I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 
  • Options
    I have been using a food processor.  I didn't see the point in buying something that was made just to make baby food with when I can use the food processor for so many other things!  I have a deep freeze, so I have been making big batches and just freezing individual portions until little one can start eating veggies next week! 
    Meet DH in 2008 - Engaged on 4.11.2011 - Married on 9.22.2012 - BFP on 5.10.2013 - DD born via emergency c-section on 1.23.2014 

• Options
    cuisinart is great but we went with the BRU only $20 and does an amazing job. It came with 2 size attachments a 4cup and a 6 i believe. The 4 is way more than enough
  • Options
    I second the immersion blender suggestion. I have a Cusinart, but don't use it due to the time it takes to clean up, etc. 

If you use an immersion blender all you have to do is blend it in the pot while it is still on the stove. You can get a better control of consistency that way too. 
    This is me exactly! I love my immersion blender and will be using it for baby food. The mini cuisinart is a PIA.
  • Options
    We have a Vitamix, which is great (we got a good deal on it several years ago at Costco, and we justified it by saying, "Once we have a baby, we'll be able to make all her food with it!").  Ditto on making big batches and freezing. 

If you wait to start until LO is truly ready, you might not have too much trouble with playing and wasting food.  We waited until a week before 6 months and she knew what to do right away and has basically eaten all of everything we've ever offered except avacados and peas.  Of course, in the beginning, you only offer a little bit to start (a tablespoon or an ounce or so) and then you can give more if she finishes that.
    OMG I want a Vitamix so badly. Just sayin :)
  • Options
    I have yet to make baby food, but I do have an immersion blender (Braun) which I use to making pasta sauce. I've had it for years so the quality is good. I'm also glad to see that many do use that kind of blender for making baby food as well.
    Is there a good site on how to make baby food? Thanks!
  • Options
    I have the Baby Bullet and it works great. Ot comes with little baby jars to store your food in, so you have just the right serving for your little one.
  • Options
    @Sing2phins‌ thanks!

Also to OP, I know some friends who have the magic bullet (baby bullet) and they love it as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"