July 2014 Moms
Options

Recommend cough medicine/remedy that works

Hi ladies,
I have been sick with a cough for 9 days now. It was definitely worse earlier in the week with terrible coughing fits to the point of almost throwing up. Now it's just an annoying cough that doesn't produce anything. I pretty much finished a whole bottle of Robitussin DM and OB even Rx me Tessalon Perles which helped decrease the severity of the cough but didn't get rid of it. I was thinking of trying Mucinex DM. I have tried every home remedy I could research to help. It is just lingering. Any ideas are appreciated!
BabyName Ticker 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Recommend cough medicine/remedy that works

• Options
    Musinex is pretty good
  • Options
    Humidifier worked great for me as well as Vicks. Try some hot water with honey or lemon as well to help with the coughing. Also try to keep cough drops on you during the day! I've still got a cold lingering for the last 3 weeks about! Still use my humidifier every night!
    Happily married for......
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gargle warm salt water, 1/2 cup warm water to 1/4 tsp of salt. Also do saline rinces in your nose: I like the neti pot, you can suck in halls cough drops, and take robistussin dm, I was sick last week and all was ok'ed by my dr and I feel so much better now! Good luck!!
  • Options
    At night, put Vicks on the bottom of your feet. Sounds weird, but it works!
  • Options
    As a PP said honey and hot water. Also add a bit of cinnamon!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks I think I will definitely try the Vicks on the feet and run my humidifier again. Just rough knocking this out of my system
    BabyName Ticker 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @summermomma2b @lealupins I wouldn't do the vicks without asking your OB. Some versions have camphor and that's why I can't use joint flex on my sciatic nerve.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I thought we couldn't use "dm" products? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought my Ob wrote that down.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Mucinex DM is what my dr recommends. It's on my "safe over the counter meds" list. It works well.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    If this is a nonproductive cough and the Robitussin DM did nothing
    for you, Mucinex DM is probably not going to help at all. I think dextromethorphan (DM) products should be your OB's call anyway; they're not really studied too much in pregnancy.

There aren't a lot of options out there that have been tested for cough in pregnancy. Maybe ask your OB if you can use the numbing throat sprays that are over the counter, or a strong menthol cough drop like Fisherman's Friend.
  • Options

@summermomma2b @lealupins I wouldn't do the vicks without asking your OB. Some versions have camphor and that's why I can't use joint flex on my sciatic nerve.
    My ob and primary doctor both tole me that Vicks is okay while pregnant as well as the other things I tried. They also said I could use mucinex but I try to avoid meds as much as possible!
    Happily married for......
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I called my doctor about Mucinex this morning and got a big fat NO. I would check with your doctor before taking it. Some of my friends said their doctors had approved it. It's a Class C

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    V1981 said:
    I thought we couldn't use "dm" products? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought my Ob wrote that down.
    I too was told no DMs no matter what. 

Strange how confusing this all is. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options

V1981 said:

Weird. My paper says robitussin cough or robitussin dm non productive cough. I'm taking the dm right now and still feel like crap.

Someone explain why Tylenol cold isn't ok when we can only take Tylenol?
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I called my doctor about Mucinex this morning and got a big fat NO. I would check with your doctor before taking it. Some of my friends said their doctors had approved it. It's a Class C
    My doc told me to take it when I had that really bad sinus infection. It's probably, like you said, a dr's call on a case by case basis  depending on the condition of the mother.

• Options
    I had a ridiculous cough for about 2 weeks and my OB wouldn't let me take anything other than Cepatol lozenges or Chloraseptic which made me sick to my stomach so I just had to suck it up and cough until it passed. It was awful. I actually ended up pulling a muscle in my chest that I'm still dealing with. I put a humidifier on my nightstand by my bed that I out on full blast while I slept, and took Benadryl at night to sleep, and that at least helped me get through the whole night without waking up.
  • Options

V1981 said:

Weird. My paper says robitussin cough or robitussin dm non productive cough. I'm taking the dm right now and still feel like crap.

Someone explain why Tylenol cold isn't ok when we can only take Tylenol?

Tylenol Cold is Tylenol plus dextromethorphan (DM). It's not well studied in pregnancy; many OBs are probably hesitant to recommend DM containing meds for this reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"