April 2014 Moms
Options

Ubbi Pail vs. Diaper Genie vs. Arm & Hammer

manda10884manda10884 member
edited January 2014 in April 2014 Moms
FTM here! I would like to know who has what and how does it work for you? Does it smell? Would you recommend it?
I just found the Ubbi and I'm a little obsessed (mainly because it comes in hot pink!) I don't know much about it other than it's stainless steel, doesn't take a specific liner, and it's expensive! I thought I was set on the Arm & Hammer diaper pail but read that it stinks bad and so I am trying to figure what to get! I'm not the type to take the trash out every single day and am not willing to do that so please no comments telling me to not get anything and just throw them out each day! I am just interested in what you all have used and if you like it! Hopefully someone has advice about the Ubbi! Oh and I'm not CD'ing either.

BabyFruit Ticker

Ubbi Pail vs. Diaper Genie vs. Arm & Hammer 158 votes

Ubbi Diaper Pail
18% 30 votes
Diaper Genie (or elite)
25% 41 votes
Arm & Hammer diaper pail
12% 20 votes
I visit the garbage daily!
22% 35 votes
I use something else...
20% 32 votes

Re: Ubbi Pail vs. Diaper Genie vs. Arm & Hammer

• Options
    I'm a FTM but I registered for an Ubbi!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I loved the arm & hammer one. Cheap refill bags at target and it was never smelly. I need to buy a new one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cd92007 what was your reason for registering for the Ubbi? Color options? Heard good things? Know someone who had one?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use the diaper genie elite. I like the foot pedal feature. And whenever a coupon for the liners comes out I stock up. Changing out the liner is easy to do and for me it doesn't stink very much. I do keep a small room spray in the changing table that I'll use if baby's diaper stunk up the room or when I change out the liner. The genie doesn't stink when it's standing alone between changes. It's pretty good about locking in the odor. The key is to step on the pedal all the way when putting a diaper in. The way the odor locks work, if you step on it half way just enough for the diaper to fall in the "locks" won't be secure and you can see & smell what's inside.
    Overall i love it and it was worth every penny!
    Disclaimer:: every single diaper pail will stink at some point. Whether it's everytime you use it, change it out, or around the point it gets full. Some are better than others. And like with any and every baby product out there, different things work for different moms.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• Options
    I love my A&H and it has never smelled.
  • Options
    We have been using the A&H and never had a problem with smell. I have recently started giving DD probiotics and her poop is TERRIBLE now, it stinks up the whole house but I have 3 of her poopy diapers in our pail right now and there isn't any smell. I like that the bags snap close at the top after you take them out.

All of my friends have the Diaper Genie and I prefer our A&H. The only thing I do like better about the DG Elite is the foot pedal.

April '14 Siggy Challenge:

god damn you're so effing cute gifimage

• Options
    Yeah we just our diapers to the trash. Which is kept it the garage.
  • Options
    I use a diaper champ but saw the Ubbi tonight at buybuybaby.
  • Options
    AbbyPug19 said:

I love my A&H and it has never smelled.

This!

• Options

Yeah we just our diapers to the trash. Which is kept it the garage.
    This, except our trash can was in the kitchen and had a lid. Never really had stink problems. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was advised the Ubbi was a good choice for a few reasons. You want a metal can because metal does not absorb odor. Also the twist and lock feature (Diaper Genie etc) is great in concept but a) you tend to leave diapers in too long with a false sense of security and b) when you try to remove a bag from one sometimes all the twists come undone and you get overcome by the odors. Also Ubbi you can use any liners you choose and save money there.
  • Options
    We just use a regular lidded plastic pail with one of those arm and hammer circle things inside and we use odor neutralizing bags (BRU brand). And we take the trash out regularly, but particularly if we smell anything.

\image  image

• Options
    DemoDollDemoDoll member
    edited January 2014
    We have the diaper genie elite and we've been using it for 17 months now. We really like it and it doesn't cost much to use it. Very rarely can we smell the poopy diapers, basically only if it's full and needs to be changed (the diapers start sticking out of the top if it's too full.

Changing the bag is super easy too. I'm glad we didn't get one with an air freshener on it because I always associate that scent with poop.

Also, the foot pedal is a must! Once your baby gets wiggly, you need every open hand you can get.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    For my first baby I just would put the diapers in the kitchen trash and since ours was a nice stainless steel one with a lid, never noticed any smell and the trash goes out once a day. I had little biodegradable bags for when I was out and about, no big deal. And I received the A&H one at my first shower and it seemed nice but I never used it, so I donated it to a local charity. Most moms I know either never used theirs or used it all the time!
  • Options
    I use the diaper champ. I chose it bc it doesn't smell as quickly as the diaper genie or arm & hammer, plus you just use normal trash bags--huge plus to me! I pretty much just make sure I take the bag out daily or every other day and the smell is masked. About once a week or every other week, I spray it with Lysol and let it air out outside, and I don't have issues. However...I feel like no matter which pail option you choose, poop and pee will eventually stink if they're not taken out regularly.
  • Options
    I voted arm & hammer but my vote may not count because my DH works for them lol.
    My Alice in Wonderland Baby Shower 3/30/2014
    Instagram photo by sassijae - Baby shower time... #laylascoming #sisterinlaw #aliceinwonderland #teaparty #cantwaittilltiffgetshere

October 30, 2011
  • Options
    We have the diaper genie elite. Started out using the refills but they are expensive ! So now I just use a regular trash bag ( you can you tube how to use a regular trash bag with the genie) and I have a sock filled with baking soda in the bottom of the pail. Has been working beautifully and no stink. I should have switched sooner!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I loved my Diaper Dekor plus!
  • Options
    @cd92007 what was your reason for registering for the Ubbi? Color options? Heard good things? Know someone who had one?

ebie79 said:
    cd92007 said:
    I'm a FTM but I registered for an Ubbi!
    Me too. I liked that it was stainless steel, can be used as a regular trash can later, no special bags, and with the slide door the odor shouldn't waft up as much as a flip top lid would. Plus I'm hoping it keeps my dogs out since it locks shut.

I like searching for YouTube and other Bump reviews too.

I second all this above! I hated the idea of spending money on special bags. Plus our stainless steel simple human trash can does a great job at keeping nasty kitchen trash smells in so I figured the same for a diaper trash can :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad to see people are happy with arm and hammer because I received that at my shower today! Can't wait to fill it with poop!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Options
    I loved the Arm & Hammer pail, but we had a problem where after a while the lid would start to get caught and not close easily, until the crank would break and/or the clip would, and the lid wouldn't close properly anymore. Though i fear that we may have caused that by attempting to overstuff the pail in an effort to fit more in between liner changes. It never smelled that bad though except when open, and only after DS had a major deuce in there...But after going through two of them with the same problem, I opted not to spend another $35 when I could spend $18 and get a dirt cheap pail that uses regular trash bags.

I would've gone Diaper Genie, except that I didnt like the idea of having to tie your own knot to make the actual "bag", and cut it yourself...I mean, what if it wasnt secure enough? What if you tie off too much? Then you're wasting liner as far as I'm concerned. I also wanted liners with handles so I'm not having to touch as much of the bag when it's full. EW.
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I plan to cloth diaper and therefore registered for the Ubbi to use for wet diapers and pre-rinsed poopy diapers.
  • Options
    I'm a STM and I have an Ubbi.  I have absolutely no complaints.  You can put any trash bag in it and there is absolutely zero odor from it.  Yes, when you open it, a smell comes out but I can't really see that being any different with any other pail.  When you close the lid again, no smell.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jsoubel said:

I'm a STM and I have an Ubbi.  I have absolutely no complaints.  You can put any trash bag in it and there is absolutely zero odor from it.  Yes, when you open it, a smell comes out but I can't really see that being any different with any other pail.  When you close the lid again, no smell.  

This is a question I have been thinking about- so I guess all of them probably smell when opened due to the dirty d's inside- even the ones that individually wrap them (do any actually do that?)?

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"