Parenting
Options

E-cigs

Here The Chicago City Council could pass restrictions on the e-cig and treat them like regular cigarettes. One of the reasons is because it's very enticing to kids. I think it's bullshit.

Re: E-cigs

• Options
    Some commented "but it looks like you're smoking a real cigarette from a distance" Um? So fucking what???
  • Options
    Banning from public places
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do know that they also want to get them banned because right now they are not regulated by the FCC.  
  • Options
    Plus, some have trace amounts of tobacco. They were banned in NY and I'm OK with them being banned here too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    Some commented "but it looks like you're smoking a real cigarette from a distance" Um? So fucking what???
    DH has an e-cig and the end lights up blue, it looks nothing like a real cig. 
    Not buying this argument.
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• Options

I do know that they also want to get them banned because right now they are not regulated by the FCC.  

I know nothing about cigs/ecigs but why would the FCC be involved? Are they involved with regular cigarettes?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pobrecita said:

CurlyQ284 said:

I know nothing about cigs/ecigs but why would the FCC be involved? Are they involved with regular cigarettes?

LOL. Not unless they are smoked via radio waves.

Ok I thought that sounded really odd.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure if this is what she meant, but doesn't the FCC ban or regulate how much smoking can be aired on a tv show? Maybe ecigs are not included in that rule right now?
  • Options
    How do people feel about e-cigs on airplanes? 

• Options
    chapski said:

Against it.  It is still releasing chemicals, they may not be as bad as regular cigs but they are not 100% safe either.
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• Options
    msdrdg said:

chapski said:

Against it.  It is still releasing chemicals, they may not be as bad as regular cigs but they are not 100% safe either.

This. I don't care what it looks like, it's releasing chemicals and I don't want them being smoked in places where cigarettes are banned (airplanes, restaurants, buildings).

• Options
    I fought with DH about this on out trip to mexico last November. I told him he was being an asshole but he huffed on it anyway. I was annoyed. Very annoyed. 
  • Options
    I don't think they should be banned. However i also don't think they should be used on an airplane.
  • Options
    I will admit I have always wanted to try the non tobacco ones. I have tried the menthol tobacco ones and liked it <-- even as a non smoker. I have been to a hookah bar (no tabacco) with friends and I didn't mind that.... at all. 
  • Options
    What all does it emit as far as chemicals go? ... E-cigs are just a vaporized form of nicotine right? That's all the person is taking in? What else is in them?  Does it have a big affect on people second hand like traditional smoke does? I always envisioned the vapor would disappear faster so maybe not spread as easily, but maybe I'm wrong (probably)?

I'm genuinely curious because I know nothing about these... The only thing I've tried even close to any kind of cigarette was one puff of hookah several years ago. 

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options
    I saw this on the news today.  Their reasoning is that there are cartridges for those ecigs that contain nicotine and there is no way to tell the difference.

I'm for the ban.

• Options
    I think using them on planes and grocery stores is stupid, but other than that I think they're fine.
  • Options
    Sorry been busy.  Ooops, I did mean FDA.  
  • Options
    Ecigs are what helped me stay cig free after Cade. My SO got me 2. One of which that plugs into my USB and one that was purple and sparkly for going places. He got me ones with light on the nicotine and had all sorts of flavors (like watermelon and cola). It really helped me. It was way less like smoking, but still gave me a tiny bit of the nicotine high and the actual smoking bit of smoking. Since for me one of the issues was getting over not having one in my hand and stuff. So for me it helped a ton. It doesn't have a smell when you exhale and barely anything comes out. It's just water vapors that you exhale (to my knowledge). I think it's silly to ban them in public places, but I can understand with planes and non smoking areas.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Not all of those e-cigs have nicotine or tobacco.  My mom works in a tobacco store and wells them all the time.  I personally think it should be acceptable.  I'd much rather go to a bar where people were vaping instead of smoking.
    No e-cigs have tobacco.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    lisajay09 said:
    I'm a former heavy smoker and I think the whole e-cig thing is stupid. The hardest part of quitting is the addiction. After 2 weeks that part is over. The e-cig should be taken off the market all together. The problem with smoking is the addiction and of course the health dangers (my father died of lung cancer a year and a half ago). The e-cig does nothing for addiction. In fact, it acknowledges the addiction and encourages it. I have a problem with that. As for them bothering me on an airplane...absolutely. Suck it up for the flight like all other smokers.
    No, the problem with smoking is that it kills people.  If you can be addicted to something that isn't harmful, who the fuck cares.

It has not been proven that e-cigs are harmless.  But it has been shown that they are greatly less harmful than cigarettes.  The success rate for EVERY method of smoking cessation is ridiculously low.  If people who are likely never going to be able to quit are able to reduce harm, it's a good thing.

ETA: By that logic, nicotine gum and patches should be taken off the market, too.  They are addictive.

I'm all for age restrictions.  But I think this is a straw-man argument.  It's WAY easier for kids to get cigarettes than e-cigs.  The vast majority of e-cig business is done online.  You can't "hey mister" the internet.
  • Options
    overture said:
    lisajay09 said:
    I'm a former heavy smoker and I think the whole e-cig thing is stupid. The hardest part of quitting is the addiction. After 2 weeks that part is over. The e-cig should be taken off the market all together. The problem with smoking is the addiction and of course the health dangers (my father died of lung cancer a year and a half ago). The e-cig does nothing for addiction. In fact, it acknowledges the addiction and encourages it. I have a problem with that. As for them bothering me on an airplane...absolutely. Suck it up for the flight like all other smokers.
    No, the problem with smoking is that it kills people.  If you can be addicted to something that isn't harmful, who the fuck cares.

It has not been proven that e-cigs are harmless.  But it has been shown that they are greatly less harmful than cigarettes.  The success rate for EVERY method of smoking cessation is ridiculously low.  If people who are likely never going to be able to quit are able to reduce harm, it's a good thing.

I'm all for age restrictions.  But I think this is a straw-man argument.  It's WAY easier for kids to get cigarettes than e-cigs.  The vast majority of e-cig business is done online.  You can't "hey mister" the internet.
    They sell e-cigs at all of the gas stations and even walgreens and walmart. I think it is just as easy for kids to get them as regular cigarettes. 

As far as "bumming" off of someone, your right it is easier in that sense.

Also I have seen the non tobacco one they are just flavored vapor.
  • Options
    E-cigs contain nicotine, not tobacco.
  • Options
    lisajay09 said:
    So are you against all NRTs?

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    overture said:
    I did read that as tobacco sorry. But if I am not mistaken don't they have non nicotine as well?
  • Options
    also, I'm laughing at the idea of e-cigs not being allowed on planes because of chemicals. 

You guys think you aren't inhaling chemicals when you step on a plane?

I would much much MUCH rather inhale the chemicals from an e-cig than the flatulence of the gassy person next to me. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    Ecigs don't smell bad IMO.
  • Options

overture said:
    I did read that as tobacco sorry. But if I am not mistaken don't they have non nicotine as well?
    Yes, you can easily be nicotine-free and use an e-cig.  When I started using one to get off of cigarettes, I used e-liquid with 18mgs of nicotine (you can't really relate e-cig nicotine levels to the patch or gum, the measurement is not the same).  Now, I have nicotine-free juice and 4mg juice.  Not only that, but the actual delivered nicotine in e-cigs is far less than in cigarettes, gum, or patches.  So even 4mgs isn't 4mgs.

But I think people are conflating tobacco and nicotine.  They are not the same thing.  Tobacco = tobacco leaf, which contains tar, and gives you lung cancer.  Nicotine is a chemical in tobacco that is addictive and can lead to high blood pressure and stroke.  So not harmless, but not harmful enough to prevent the FDA from allowing it to be used as a smoking cessation drug.

Second-hand smoke is bad for you because you are inhaling smoke that contains carcinogens, not because of the nicotine that is passed.  E-cigarette vapor contains trace amounts of nicotine and food-safe chemicals and flavorings that most of us are exposed to all the time.
  • Options
    My younger brother vaps and it got him completely off of cigs. He's down to 6% sometimes lower on nicotine. He weaned himself off the nicotine by going down in percentages. It definitely isn't as smelly or annoying like real cigs. My whole immediate family smokes but me actually. Out of my parents' 3 kids I'm the only one who never started. I'm glad my brother weaned down as heart disease is common for the men in my family and my dad died from a heart attack and had been smoking since his early 20's maybe sooner. I'm not sure on the laws on them but ya in crowded places I could see discretion being used and no vaping. But outside places should be no issue. I'm for staying away from second hand smoke and no smoking happens near DD but I can see the other side too. I was raised with smoking sections in restaurants. Now I know that was bad lol as was smoking in the car but that was the 80's. I am glad my daughter isn't being affected by second hand smoke.

• Options
    overture said:

overture said:
    Yes, you can easily be nicotine-free and use an e-cig.  When I started using one to get off of cigarettes, I used e-liquid with 18mgs of nicotine (you can't really relate e-cig nicotine levels to the patch or gum, the measurement is not the same).  Now, I have nicotine-free juice and 4mg juice.  Not only that, but the actual delivered nicotine in e-cigs is far less than in cigarettes, gum, or patches.  So even 4mgs isn't 4mgs.

But I think people are conflating tobacco and nicotine.  They are not the same thing.  Tobacco = tobacco leaf, which contains tar, and gives you lung cancer.  Nicotine is a chemical in tobacco that is addictive and can lead to high blood pressure and stroke.  So not harmless, but not harmful enough to prevent the FDA from allowing it to be used as a smoking cessation drug.

Second-hand smoke is bad for you because you are inhaling smoke that contains carcinogens, not because of the nicotine that is passed.  E-cigarette vapor contains trace amounts of nicotine and food-safe chemicals and flavorings that most of us are exposed to all the time.
    As a non smoker you have totally just schooled me! This was an awesome explanation. 
  • Options
    I am misunderstanding something (or maybe my previous comment was wrong).....I am almost positive some of the ones they sell have no nicotine.  At least, that is what I've heard from various people and places.
    The do have no nicotine ecigs. It's for people who can't get over the oral fixation or that like the taste.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Now that I'm on my soapbox, here's some other stuff about e-cigs that people don't seem to know:

The ones they sell at Walgreens and gas stations and mall kiosks suck ass.  They have a very short battery life, and just do not perform well.  Most people who use these will either to back to cigarettes or quickly switch to a better e-cig. 

The average user who uses them in place of cigarettes buys them online or in brick-and-mortar tobacco shops (which are not places that usually even allow minors in the door).  The gas station e-cigs come with cartridges filled with cheap juice made in China that are not regulated.  They're not going to kill you, but they're gross. 

People who are buying higher quality equipment online or in tobacco shops are generally buying juices that are made by small, USA-based startups.  These are made by people who are passionate about vaping and take pride in their work.  They use food-grade chemicals and flavorings.

So, as an analogy, it's kind of like basing your ideas about beer on only having ever seen Natty Ice at the 7-11.
  • Options
    I concur. Nicotine =\= tobacco. Sorry!

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    lisajay09 said:

overture said:

lisajay09 said:

ETA: By that logic, nicotine gum and patches should be taken off the market, too.  They are addictive.

Oh, you're totally right. I guess my point is more... just fucking quit smoking. I did. Wish my dad did.

As for the oral fixation....chew trident. Bite your nails. Chew a pen. Suck on a lollipop. I can't accept oral fixation as a reason.

I mean all of the yous as a general you. Not you specifically O.

I'm sorry. Smoking is a touchy subject for me. I'm bowing out of this convo.

Huh. Well since you can't accept my oral fixation as a reason than I'll just start biting my nails. Is that okay with you?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"