Parenting

Have we discussed? Brain dead pregnant mother

http://fw.to/67DiaYI Munoz was 14 weeks pregnant when she collapsed and was declared brain dead. The hospital will not remove her from life support, against the families wishes. Texas, along with at least two dozen other states, prohibit cutting off life support to a pregnant patient. It provides striking similarities and differences to the Jahi case.

Re: Have we discussed? Brain dead pregnant mother

• It's against the law to remove her from life support IIRC. Awful.

• I'm not 100% sure about my feelings on this. I do believe that the baby has a right to live. However, if it was my family member, it would probably be more complicated. It is a sad situation all around.
  • My thoughts -

1. If the baby will be fine than why does the family want the mother removed from life support?
    2. The article states that the health and viability for the "fetus" remains unknown. I'm assuming this is b/c the hospital isn't able to discuss the medical details b/c the family has yet to allow this.
    3. Who is footing the bill?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                           Willa 10/27/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My thoughts -

1. If the baby will be fine than why does the family want the mother removed from life support?
    2. The article states that the health and viability for the "fetus" remains unknown. I'm assuming this is b/c the hospital isn't able to discuss the medical details b/c the family has yet to allow this.
    This is a good question.

• missymo said:
    I am really disgusted by this.  They are basically trying to grow a fetus in a cadaver.  It's a medical experiment that the government is forcing the dead woman's family to endure.   How can anyone with even half a brain support this? 

Eta: words
    Well, when you put it that way...

Visit Coco's profile on Pinterest.<script type="text/javascript" async src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script> image
    missymoHelenahhandbasketbullybuttangeleighhh
  • She's 20w pregnant now, right? I feel so awful for her husband, child, and parents. I think I could understand the situation better if the baby were already at the age of viability. At 14w, it would have been no different than the father choosing an abortion.
    "The first time his laughter unfurled its wings in the world, we knew that life would never be the same."
    11.27.09*03.04.11*11.02.12*03.04.13*04.12.13*EDD 01.07.15

*~*All AL Welcome*~*

• missymo said:
    I am really disgusted by this.  They are basically trying to grow a fetus in a cadaver.  It's a medical experiment that the government is forcing the dead woman's family to endure.   How can anyone with even half a brain support this? 

Eta: words
    Exactly. Like an incubator. Gross.

• My thoughts -

Because she is dead? 

C is 3 years old

• edited January 10
    pobrecita said:
    It's a fetus, not a baby. It relies on the mother for life. If the mother dies, the baby dies. That's just how it works.
    But if they can keep the mother "alive", then there's a very real chance the baby will live. 

• @pobrecita I get where you're coming from. However, I always considered my kids to be babies, from the time I found out I was pregnant.

@chickenonsunday I wonder about your first point too. I know, given the choice, lots of people would want the baby. I have read almost opposite stories of people fighting to keep them on support for the baby. It would be a miracle, as @uconnhuskie007 said.
    scorch
  • edited January 10
    missymo said:
    My thoughts -

Because she is dead? 
    I agree that the parents of the  mother are quoted in the article saying they wanted her removed from life support. I scanned the article a second time to find a quote from the husband but didn't find a comment. The article did say that he stills goes and sits by her bedside.

Also, this is article is a good reminder to everyone to have a will that includes end of life care.

ETA: forgot a sentence
                           Willa 10/27/12
    BabyFruit Ticker

• missymo said:
    My thoughts -

Because she is dead? 
    I agree that the parents of the  mother are quoted in the article but I scanned the article a second time to find a quote from the husband. He still goes and sits by her bedside.

Also, this is article is a good reminder to everyone to have a will that includes end of life care.
    But this is the law in Texas. So even having a legal document in place wouldn't supersede that, I don't think.

piffley
  • It does sound morbid about her just being an incubator. I read another article about the family feeling that way. This is local for us, so it's gotten a lot of coverage.
  • It's been a while since I read about it, but the initial articles I read indicated that the husband fears the child will be mentally challenged in some way since they don't know if, or how long, the baby was without oxygen. I'm not sure how I feel abou that, but again, I have no idea what it would be like, or how it would feel, to be in this situation. I have a great deal of sympathy for everyone involved.

If it were me, and I was brain dead, if there was a chance my child could live, I would want to take that chance. That's just me though. It's so sad. All of this is so sad. I need to stop clicking on these posts!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • missymomissymo
    Tenth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its
    edited January 10
    missymo said:
    My thoughts -

Because she is dead? 
    I agree that the parents of the  mother are quoted in the article but I scanned the article a second time to find a quote from the husband. He still goes and sits by her bedside.

The husband wants to turn the machines off.   He does not want his dead wife's body to be an incubator.  She died when she was only 11 weeks pregnant or something.

Eta: sorry, I see that it was 14 wks.

C is 3 years old

• Sorry @auburngirlsc It is a horrible sad situation. It has been on our news the past couple of days. After the debate about Jahi, I thought this was another angle for discussion.
  • pobrecita said:

But this is the law in Texas. So even having a legal document in place wouldn't supersede that, I don't think.
    I couldn't tell from the article if the legal document trumps the law. Anyone know for sure? I don't plan on moving to Texas so I wasn't super motivated to do research.
                           Willa 10/27/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • IDk, it's a tough decision.  I think that the husband/father gets to makes the decision for both, so they should be taken off life support.  But with that being said, as a mother, if there was a chance your child would survive, wouldn't you want that?   Because although my family knows I wouldn't want to be on life support I've never talked to them about being on life support and pregnant.  I asked DH and he said it would depend on how far along I was.  I do think that 14 weeks is very early, but if the fetus was, say 24 weeks, the earliest it could be viable, would that make a difference?

The doctors say they will be able to tell more about the viability of the pregnancy/how the baby is doing when she's 22-24 weeks.  I'll be interested to see. The mother was denied oxygen for a while, but the body is designed to protect the fetus, so I'm very interested in the outcome. 
    Lilypie - (ESZo)
                 my future's so bright I've got third degree burns

• Did they know she was pregnant before this happened? Not sure if that changes anything for me. Just wondering.
  • I don't like that they are doing this against the family's wishes. It's a very difficult situation for the family, but if they don't want to keep her on life support and are comfortable with terminating the pregnancy then I don't think this should be forced upon them.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie - (KT6O)  Lilypie - (rKhA)

Spin313piffleychristel811
  • Sorry @auburngirlsc It is a horrible sad situation. It has been on our news the past couple of days. After the debate about Jahi, I thought this was another angle for discussion.

@eleventy11 it's ok! I knew what it was about when I clicked on it. I need to have more self control. It is a very relevant discussion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Throwing a wrench into this...I wonder what would happen if no one was there to take custody of the child...ie the dad was killed and there was no family. That would change my feelings, if it were my child. I agree with auburngirlsc. If it was me, I would want my child to have a chance. I don't know if I would want my child to grow up without any family though.
  • My thoughts -

The bolded, but I agree this is such a tricky thing. 

If the baby was a "wanted" baby (which I assume he/she is or was), wouldn't this woman's parents want to give the baby a shot?

It's a really, really tough call though.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12